Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Iceman to be outed (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 1  

I find it most interesting how MARVEL has most of it's gay characters being mutants -- is Marvel saying that being Gay is a genetic abnormality like being a mutant is?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 2  

"I've lived in major cities, work in the entertainment industry and got my Masters in Acting.  I know a thing or two about LGBT. "

Wow...thats...just wow.  

As a 40 year old bisexual married man with two wonderful children, reading that leap you have just made, I do not believe you know nearly as much about LGBT as you think you know.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm sorry.  What leap?  I'm describing my own experiences.  I have dear, dear friends who are LGBT.  I've talked with them countless times about their struggles, about who they are and what they had to go through, about their feelings of not fitting in and with several about being ostracized by their own families when they made the decision to come out.  To be clear, I am in no way saying that I know what it's like TO be LGBT, but that I know and understand it as much as a straight man can given the environment I've immersed myself in and the people I have met in that environment that I call friends.  That's hardly a leap at all.  

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4  

Okay, apparently as one of the few "not straights". let me throw this out there.  Making Bobby gay now is not offensive to the LGBT community. We all got together and had a meeting and held a vote.  So, please don't get up in arms on our account. We're cool. Now, I'm not allowed a voting position at the hetro table, but when I stopped by the club, it sure seems like most of you people were pretty pissed off at the loss. For that, we all apologize.

Its a story. Its a decision by the writer of the story. Its been done it such a way that it can be undone. (Side note, we went ahead and made a premptive vote as to whether we should protest should Bobby be taken away, and we decided not to care.) It is only going to be bothersome if he is turned into a stereotype. He can be gay and be everything he has been before. 

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Matt, I know people in small towns, who work in production jobs, and didn't even go to college. They know just as much about LGBT. Your premise is based totally around stereotype. That is the leap. 

By the way, I know you didn't mean it that way. And I know you are at heart a good person. And I know you accept people for who they are. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I wonder if making Iceman gay is a subtle tribute to Quentin Taratino's famous riff on Top Gun?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

Its been done it such a way that it can be undone.

Technically true, since this is comics, after all, but with all the press about this, I think Marvel's in it for the long haul.  If there's a big reset with Secret Wars, this will be part of Iceman's character from day one.  If there's only a minor reshuffling, they'll stick with it, too. 

Looking at this from a marketing/PR/shareholder standpoint, as opposed to any kind of story thing, Iceman makes perfect sense for this development.  He's got mainstream recognition from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the X-Men movies, but he's not on that short list of characters that drives Marvel merchandising.  He's a prominent member of the X-Men, one of their founders, so Marvel gets to tout him as a very major gay character, but he's still one of about a hundred X-Men, so it's a calculated risk.

Adding to the calculated risk factor, Marvel's been steadily shifting their attentions away from the X-Men family of books because of film rights, so they're able to do things over there that they might not have tried otherwise.  Gay Iceman, dead Wolverine...just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, while waiting for Fox's movie deal to run out.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's funny, Marvel outed Ultimate Colossus 15 years ago, and I don't recall it inspiring anywhere near this Iceman freak out. 

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think anyone really cares about the Ultimate universe. Or perhaps it's that the whole point of it is that characters are different than what you're used to in the traditional MU.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

It's funny, Marvel outed Ultimate Colossus 15 years ago, and I don't recall it inspiring anywhere near this Iceman freak out.

•••

Ultimate Colossus is from Earth 2.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Didn't they try this with Beast a few
years ago When Morrison was writing and
then dropped it?

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

It was different with Beast. Morrison had him say he was gay both to make a statement about the position of minorities and to hurt Trish Tilby following their break-up, but I don't think it was treated seriously at any point. I recall a scene with Beast admitting this to Cyclops in a scene which came soon after the initial statement, maybe even in the same issue.

Edited by Taavi Suhonen on 24 April 2015 at 3:23pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version