Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Bruce/Caitlyn (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 June 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Mr. Byrne, do you mean you expect your quotations to be taken as they were quoted? Comments out of context have a long and proud tradition in this country. Many a politician - and even standard citizen - has been destroyed by comment out of context.

••

As I am sure I mentioned before, when Paul Kupperberg was my editor, he told me that hardly a day went by without someone storming into his office crying "Did you HEAR?? Byrne said C D E!!!" To which Paul would reply "No, Byrne said A B C D E!"

What's really pathetic, here in the 21st Century, is that it is so incredibly easy to find out what someone REALLY SAID, but so few people do it. It's a twisted version of the old saw "When the legend becomes reality, print the legend."

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Another forum found, quoting the misquote without checking here.

The interweb continues to be the DISinformation highway.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

Perhaps it was just a poor attempt at an approach since you had already made it clear that you don't understand? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Perhaps it was just a poor attempt at an approach since you had already made it clear that you don't understand?

•••

Different parts of the thread discussing different aspects of the story.

But, again, don't let facts get in your way.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

Oh John, I did actually write what you wrote. Though I question if you read before hitting post.  Regardless, I can see your intention. But the application seemed a pretty boneheaded approach that you shouldn't be surprised by the reaction. Your own understanding of the subject you are discussing in the post is displayed as muddled at best. It is your lack of facts in your post that drive it to be opined over. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brian, name-calling is never a great way to win an argument or make a point. From your comments, you seem to be an expert on this subject so perhaps you could please enlighten us.

Explain this. Why is being a male or female a social construct and "assigned at birth" but your race is not? Being male and being female are two distinct things but race is just arbitrary and fluid. Why is Rachel Dolezal not allowed to self-identify as black, even though she feels that she is but Bruce Jenner is allowed to dress up in woman's clothing and have his hair done and is now a woman? I have read articles online explaining this but all I have to do is switch the words from sex to race and both are valid.

I know you didn't mention this directly but I am interested in your reply.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh John, I did actually write what you wrote. Though I question if you read before hitting post.

•••

Ladies and gentlemen, irony.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

Beautiful. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Think some of the misquoting started right in this thread! Looking back, found a partial quote that missed my point, followed a few posts later by someone responding to that partial quote.

And off we go!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

The biggest difference between Rachel Dolezal and transgendered people is history.  She's pretty much it for her identity issue (although there are legions of teen boys that co-opt black culture to varying degrees) while transgenders have more examples.

Also, she exhibited a lot more deceit.  She definitely wasn't an "out" transracial.

I prefer to take a face value approach - there's every possibility that one is using gender identity for some sort of leverage or to play some sort of game, or for attention, and so on - but I am going to assume they are being honest and forthright until I have sufficient reason to think otherwise.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 11  

The biggest difference between Rachel Dolezal and transgendered people is history. She's pretty much it for her identity issue…

••

Be interesting if she starts a trend! Transgenders used to be isolated crazies. Society changes!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 12  

HERE is an interesting GLAAD article on the subject. I'm struck by the fact that even in this article, which is told from the "inside" perspective, the case for transgender individuals cannot escape the notion that it's all about what such individuals "feel."

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version