Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: OT - X-Men: When Did It Lose You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

After reading X-Men #1 (golly, that was 20+ years ago?).
Back to Top profile | search

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2015 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

The issue with the evil brother and sister team called Fenris (or something like that). Magneto had become a hero, the X-MEN were whiners, way too much talking and the villains were dumb. Really disliked Mohawk Storm and the Morlocks too.

An issue or two before there was a story involving a robot from the future named Nimrod. I couldn't make heads or tales about what was going on. I almost dropped the book then but gave it a couple of issues to turn around. It didn't and Fenris nailed the coffin shut.

Haven't looked back.

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 23 June 2015 at 11:35pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

Dipped back in for X-Men #1. I still have never completed reading it. Truly bizarre comic book.

Were any million-selling comic books in the '90s done well?

Greg Nock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

I stuck around until a ways into Matt Fraction's run (early 500s), once I finally -- FINALLY -- grew tired of plot-lines being introduced in the main book only to be resolved elsewhere (odd, considering I jumped aboard because of the X-Tinction Agenda crossover). It hit me that the regular monthly seemed to be marking time between events, and nothing more. I'm a slow learner, I guess.

In hindsight, my enjoyment had been coasting downhill since Joss Whedon left the sister-title (and possibly longer). I gave them one more chance a few years later because I enjoy Carlos Pacheco's art…but after only a few issues the book was disrupted by another big crossover, so I bailed and haven't looked back.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

I stopped reading somewhere during Lobdell's run - "Operation: Zero Tolerance," I think. I did come back for Morrison's run which I did enjoy, although it felt more like a New Mutants book than an X-Men book to me. I liked Morrison's new characters and ideas, but didn't care much about what he did with the established team. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 6  

I came in around the time of the original Secret Wars books, so I guess that would be not long before the Mutant Massacre crossover. I then caught up on the line by pretty much buying every back issue from JB's run onwards. And then I left when Wolverine switched back to the yellow and blue outfit. So I guess that was about the same time as Chris leaving.
90es Marvel pretty much killed a lot of my love for that universe. I think about the only one of their books I supported during that decade was the Incredible hulk. And after Gary Frank left that title suddenly I wasn't reading any regular books anymore.
Since then I've picked up the occasional books and runs on a sporadic basis, but not much X-men at all.
And looking at Marvel's 'all new all different' Avengers launch, I think that side of the line is completely dead for me too.
I admit that the loss of the marriage rekindled my curiosity in seeing what was happening with Spider-man, but I've a feeling that's about to be reversed. So with that and the loss of the FF, Marvel comics is pretty much dead to me now. (And I wouldn't even go anywhere near the new 52 at DC. Superman is just unrecognizable to me!)

Oh well, more money to spend on other things..

Mark Tillson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2015 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

I left when Jim Lee left.  I should have dropped the book years before, but I kept going back, month after month, in hope that things would get better.  Another part is that I had followed these characters for so many years (issue 133 being my first), that there was a feeling of comport with them. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2015 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm practicing my version of insanity. I keep coming back to the book expecting different results. I did like all-new X-men for a while. Chuck Austen and Phillp Tan were so bad I quit for years and didn't miss it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

When John Byrne left as the artist on the X-Men it was never the same. It wasn't the X-Men to me when he stopped drawing the characters. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

When John Byrne left as the artist on the X-Men it was never the same. It wasn't the X-Men to me when he stopped drawing the characters.

•••

Yet, as I have pointed out on many an occasion, after I left the sales just kept on climbing, so clearly whatever Chris was doing was becoming the X-Men for more and more people!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

And the hits just keep on coming.

http://www.newsarama.com/24946-a-founding-x-man-leaves-team- to-join-uncanny-inhumans-for-all-new-all-different-marvel.ht ml

First Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are revealed to have never been mutants, and now Beast is "joining" the Inhumans.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

And the hits just keep on coming.

http://www.newsarama.com/24946-a-founding-x-man-leaves-
team- to-join-uncanny-inhumans-for-all-new-all-different-
marvel.ht ml

First Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are revealed to have
never been mutants, and now Beast is "joining" the
Inhumans.

This isn't the first time an established hero joined the
Inhumans. Quicksilver did it in the early 70s.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version