Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1  

One, you want creators who want to tell stories they're invested in.

Not exactly.  I want creators who are invested in telling stories about the characters.  I don't want the creator's interest to be put ahead of the character.  If the writer doesn't have any interest in Peter Parker without fundamentally changing him, then he shouldn't be writing Peter Parker.

On top of that, the Secret Wars event was never intended to be a hard reboot. There was no version of the Post Secret Wars landscape where any character was going to be magically de-aged. Characters coming over from another universe? Sure. That makes sense due to the nature of the Secret Wars storyline. Magically zapped into something else? Nope.

C'mon Dan, we're talking about fiction.  MILLIONS of readers had no problem with Captain Marvel being magically transformed in every single issue.   You're statement illustrates more of the problem than explaining anything.  That you would write "magically" as if it was a ludicrous idea says to me that you are viewing comic books in the wrong way.  Comic books SHOULD be about magic.  Especially if that magic leads to abandoning the approach of being tied to continuity and realism.  

Your thinking seems to resemble the type of thinking that the big two have adopted, that kids just don't like comic books so we have to shock everyone into reading.  From what I've seen that's the biggest problem in comics.  I'm not saying they don't care or don't want comics to succeed but they clearly have very warped ideas on what kids want or if they should even be included.

Then here are some suggestions:

Again, you give me the notion that you're missing the point.  I didn't say I couldn't find any examples, I said that I had to ferret them out.  That I have to refer parents to a fringe book like Squirrel Girl instead of any of the major characters that they might actually recognize is a problem, don't you think?

Squirrel-Girl is the type of book that, if any book has to be sacrificed in such a way, creators who just have to broach adult-only themed content should be given.  Not Superman or Spider-Man.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 2  

"Would you rather have creators strapped down to chairs and force them to type out stories they aren't invested in?)"

I think this is the bugaboo with current DC/Marvel in a nutshell.

No.  I'd rather have creators that are invested in the characters more than anything else.  Don't change Spider-Man (or Batman or Captain America, etc) to make a talent interested in writing/drawing him.  I want somebody who wants to do the character without concern for his/her personal agenda.  

Catering to the talent before the character is a big part of what got us in the fix we are in today.  For those who see the state of the industry today as a problem that is.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 01 July 2015 at 11:27am
Back to Top profile | search

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3  

"Not exactly.  I want creators who are invested in telling stories about the characters.  I don't want the creator's interest to be put ahead of the character.  If the writer doesn't have any interest in Peter Parker without fundamentally changing him, then he shouldn't be writing Peter Parker."

If you believe that Brian Michael Bendis and I are not deeply invested in Peter Parker's character, you're 100% wrong.

It sounds like what you want is creators who will commit to writing a Peter Parker that fits into a set of boundaries that you-- and the circle of friends you talk with on & offline-- are invested in. That's different.

Again, I'd say give the first issue of the all-new AMAZING SPIDER-MAN a fair read and see it for what it actually is before you label it "fundamentally changed". Peter Parker's character will be shining in full force on this book.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 4  

You own a comic shop. Reality time: How many Marvelites would spontaneously combust if Marvel did a hard reboot and 616 Peter were back in high school? Eagerly awaiting an honest answer. ;-)

Honestly?  Zero.  None.  If anything, it would create more buzz than all of the stupid events have created combined.  Not only would it give the fanboys something to talk(complain) about, it would reacquire fans who have left.  Do you seriously think that those who are left are going to leave over re-setting characters into their  pre-aged versions?

Instead of doing things like Marvel Adventures where the "real" characters are treated like novelties and put in a fringe book, do that with the mainstream characters in their own books.  Instead of making a thousand different Spider-Man derivatives, come up with new characters to enhance Spider-Man himself.  

I feel confident that when people actually read the book we're putting out-- instead of the one that's theoretically in some of their heads right now-- they'll see that's exactly what we're doing. The All-New AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run will be interesting stories about Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Middle-aged Peter Parker is the problem though.  I don't doubt that you could write a good story about him, it's that you aren't writing those good stories for the "real" Peter Parker.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 5  

It sounds like what you want is creators who will commit to writing a Peter Parker that fits into a set of boundaries that you-- and the circle of friends you talk with on & offline-- are invested in. That's different.

Boundaries?  No, I say values.  Yes, I want Peter Parker to remain timeless.  The Simpsons continues to be a good example.  Bart's still 10 and fundamentally what he's always been.

Why can't that be done with Peter Parker(or Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne, etc.)?

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

"Honestly?  Zero.  None."

Then yours is the magic store. :-)
Everywhere else in the world, they'd be piles of angry ashes on the floor.

"Middle-aged Peter Parker is the problem though.  I don't doubt that you could write a good story about him, it's that you aren't writing those good stories for the "real" Peter Parker."

Sorry. The guy I'm writing about is the guy who started his journey in the pages of AMAZING FANTASY #15. And I have the paper work to prove it. ;-)

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Come on, middle age Spidey is the best!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 8  

No, I haven't read your Spider-Man.  

But I do know that Thor is now Jane Foster.  And Captain America is now Sam Wilson.  And Batman is now Jim Gordon in a Manga armor suit.....

These are stories I don't have to pick up to learn if I'd like them because the very notion of the character as presented is now totally unappealing to me.  

And that's the problem.

Just like the upcoming Fantastic Four movie might very well be a good movie....but it can't be a good FF movie.  Its just too far off the mark of what the FF are.

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 9  

"Boundaries?  No, I say values.  Yes, I want Peter Parker to remain timeless.  The Simpsons continues to be a good example.  Bart's still 10 and fundamentally what he's always been."

And the general consensus on The Simpsons is that it went down hill somewhere between season 8-12.

Thanks to everyone from Stan on through John Byrne through Frank Miller through Fabian Nicieza through Brian Michael Bendis and beyond Marvel has stayed a powerful force in the world of comics BY maintaining status quos AND changing. 75+ years aint a bad record.

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 10  

"No, I haven't read your Spider-Man.  

But I do know that Thor is now Jane Foster."

Not really. It's that Jane Foster is now Thor. Thor Odinson is still running around in the book. And while you might not find that premise appealing, a growing number of readers DO. Readership on the book has gone up and up to where it is out-performing the previous THOR comic. There is an energy to the book driven by fantastic storytelling and gorgeous art.

Most readers who actually crack open an issue and read it for themselves get hooked!

Edited by Dan Slott on 01 July 2015 at 11:42am

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 11  

And the general consensus on The Simpsons is that it went down hill somewhere between season 8-12.

Genuine question: was that because the characters stayed the same or because the writers weren't very funny?

Antonio Diniz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 12  

What grade/age would Parker ideally be if he perpetually stayed in high school?

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version