Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Donald Trump (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 1  

Trump is getting a lot of criticism for his comments about John McCain not being a war hero.  While I think McCain has milked that part of his life too much for political gain, he does deserve respect for not leaving the prison camp early because of his father.
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Clinton?
Trump?
Our world is lost....

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 3  

A while back McCain had to fight off a Tea Party challenge for his Senate seat. He's actually quite unpopular among those guys, for whatever mysterious far-right reason. While the GOP establishment is understandably outraged, I suspect conservative voters will let Trump slide on this as well.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Trump is not a serious candidate.  He has zero chance of getting the nomination.  Certainly his opponents know this, and he probably even knows it himself and is running merely for a combination of narcissism and publicity.  The reason he is doing well in the polls now is that he hasn't been subjected to any serious criticism or attacks.  Two or three targeted attack ads focused on skeletons in his closet, and his support would completely evaporate.  I imagine the reason none of the serious candidates have bothered to do this is that they feel it would be a waste of funds, and that Trump will eventually flame out and shoot himself in the foot.  It may also be that they see some value in keeping him around.  Responding to his stupidity gives them a chance to look statesmanlike by comparison.  

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

Is it really appropriate to say that Trump is doing all that well in the polls? 18% of "likely Republican Primary voters" hardly means you're setting the world on fire, even with a crowded field.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just for laughs, I'd love to see Trump make it to the debates!!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2015 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

DAVE PHELPS: Is it really appropriate to say that Trump is doing all that well in the polls?

Polling is an inexact science and deeply flawed at times, but I would say that being firmly in 1st place (3 points ahead of #2 and up 11 points since June) means he is definitely doing well in the polls. I agree that this may be meaningless in 2016, but it means something today. Cannot wait for the August 6th debate!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 July 2015 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 8  

How sad that the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower has devolved to the point of a buffoon like Trump even temporarily leading in the polls.  In any event, I have full confidence that he will flame out long before the primaries. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9  

As a Democrat, I can't get enough of Trump the Republican candidate for President. He is single-handedly destroying any chance the Republicans have of beating Hillary Clinton in 2016.

•••

Yes, but that could mean we end up with Hilary Clinton as President!

(I wonder how many votes she'd get if Congress passed legislation that said if she IS elected, Bill has to leave the country and have no contact with her, direct or indirect, for the full length of her term in the Oval Office. That's right, kiddies! No "stealth" third term for Slick Willie!)

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2015 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 10  

If Hilary was elected it would pose an interesting dynamic. I left the country shortly after George W was elected so my memory fails me. Were there many people questioning a stealth third term for Bush Sr.? I wonder if this kind of family history would work for or against Jeb Bush.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 11  

I agree with Jason Czeskleba, and what he says bears repeating: Donald Trump is not a serious candidate.  His current support will drop off long before the nominating contests begin, but even if he holds on to enough to keep going, as the serious, but lesser candidates drop off (Perry, Cruz, Jindal, Kasich, Christie etc.) their supporters will migrate to the three blue chip candidates Walker, Rubio and Bush (maybe Paul too, but I haven't made my mind up about that yet); not to Trump.
That said, while certainly distressing, Trump's current standing in the early polls is easily explainable as a combination of two factors.  First is the increasing vapidness of the current electorate.  Many voters simply are not paying attention at this point, and given a list of candidates, they recognize two names from the group: Bush and Trump.  And they pick a name they recognize.  (Remember, polling firms are a long way off from shifting to likely voter models; most are polling registered voters and some still polling adults.)
The second reason, I'll admit is a bit more complicated.  In the Republican Party, there is a growing number of single issue voters, focused solely on immigration and Trump is telling them what they want to hear.  This second group is smaller than the first, but they're out there, and they're currently having an impact.  But why they take the word of a former amnesty advocate, Obama voter and Clinton donor at it's current value, but not offer the same benefit to someone like Scott Walker, I'll never understand.  Unless it's as simple as the fact that Trump isn't a politician and they've come to expect betrayal from the establishment.

Anyway, I have no doubt that if the Democrat field was made up of Sanders, Webb, O'Malley, John Hickenlooper, Jerry Brown, Deval Patrick and Donald Trump, Trump would pull a significant percent in Democrat polls too.  In other words, take out Hillary Clinton's universal name recognition, and respondents would pick the name they recognize; we have truly become that vapid.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 20 July 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm kind of afraid that Trump might be on the road to becoming the Ross Perot of this election -- and that is the kind of distraction we DON'T need.

:-/
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version