Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Is Stan Lee Damaged Goods ? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 1  

All this talk about Stan in his final days is making my bottom lip stick out.

The thought of he and Muhammad Ali passing makes me really sad.  

So to cheer up I'm remembering what it was like to read Marvel Comics in the early 70's when I discovered them.  

WOW!  I didn't exactly realize it then, but Stan's personality made comics come alive for me.  From the nutty creator nicknames to Stan's Soapbox, Stan made Marvel a living, breathing 'thing' that DC simply was not for me as a boy.  

As an 8, 10, 13 year old kid I KNEW who was creating my Marvel Comics.  And Stan's 'voice' was ever present.  As young kids all of my friends and I just assumed Stan was the driving force behind all the comics we cared about.  We didn't exactly understand what an editor did, but seeing Stan as 'editor' meant he was just 'the boss' to us.  He simply had to be!  He 'presented' each issue of Marvel Comics for God's sake!  

When I got my first packet of FOOM in the mail I freaked out in a way usually reserved for December 25th.  Friends Of Ol Marvel is SUCH a Stan thing to say!

Glorious times!

Thinking about how my childhood (and adulthood) was shaped by that man (and the people he worked with at Marvel) makes me smile.

I feel so much better now.

Excelsior!

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2  

Stan is a good PR guy,always has been,that`s why he`s still employed by Marvel.Like David i remember that it was Stan that made being a Marvel `Zombie` special!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 3  

... it was Stan that made being a Marvel `Zombie` special!

•••

Tho it was Jim Salicrup who turned that obvious insult into something fans became proud to declare themselves to be!

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 4  

It is becoming next to impossible to be apart of any groups or forums that celebrate Jack Kirby's legacy. Because some one sooner or later will get around to knocking Stan. Regardless of what the topic is about. The Stan bashers find someway of bring it back to him.
I quit going to one because they were calling for the hanging of Stan.I wrote a simple post."You people should be ashamed of yourselves."

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

The other day someone began bashing Stan Lee and was speaking in absolutes. He knew for for a fact Stan did this and that. When I said I had never heard of him and that somehow the history books seemed to missed his name. When talking about the history of Marvel. His only response was what I didn't know could fill the library of Alexandria. He then said he was going to block me. Which thrilled me because it saved me the trouble of having to block him or leave the group.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

Meanwhile Stan has been writing the Spider-Man newspaper strip daily since 1977.

Wil Overton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 7  

David - I think we must have lead parallel lives growing up. I knew all the artists and writers a kid through Stan. He WAS Marvel to me. 

Wish I'd never read Marvel - The Untold Story :(
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 8  

@Wil -

I remember sitting with my friends after trips to the local drug store with a stack of new comics.  We would sit on the front porch and hand them back and forth saying "Jazzy drew this one!"  'Jazzy', of course being John Romita!  We would call John Buscema "Big John" and we all knew you weren't talking about John Romita...because he was 'Jazzy'!  And on and on.  

Reading Marvel Comics and being a kid in the 70's was a full experience. You felt like part of a club and the comics were being made just for you.  

I must have made dozens of my own comics out of reams of typing paper.  And in my credits I gave myself nicknames like 'Dynamite' David Perrin - Pencils!  And all my buddies who made their own typing paper comics gave themselves nicknames too.  I just seemed like the thing to do.  All of that energy sprang from Stan.  He made it special and unique.  

I've never read Marvel - The Untold Story, and i don't think I need to.  I have my own untold love story about Marvel Comics and it stars me from about age 5 and it goes on for decades and ends peacefully (and a little sadly) right around the 1990's.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 August 2015 at 7:36am

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

The reality is that we can't be sure of the inner workings
of Stan's mind. He's a salesman and also a steadfast
company man. Always has been. That much is consistant. It
makes sense, based on the fact that for much of his career,
he was working through hard times where a job wasn't
guaranteed.

Steven Ely
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2015 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Remember, Timely was going out of business and Stan was selling the furniture when Jack saw Stan on the sidewalk crying and told him to get up, he'll turn Timely around.

The folks that are against Stan take every tale that was ever told like that very literally and will not believe any word to the contrary.

The source of that was Jack Kirby's words (The Comics Journal #134 (1990) interview): 

http://www.tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/6/

ROZ KIRBY: Gary wants to know how you created The Fantastic Four.

GROTH: Did you approach Marvel or —

KIRBY: It came about very simply. I came in [to the Marvel offices] and they were moving out the furniture, they were taking desks out — and I needed the work! I had a family and a house and all of a sudden Marvel is coming apart. Stan Lee is sitting on a chair crying. He didn’t know what to do, he’s sitting in a chair crying —he was just still out of his adolescence. I told him to stop crying. I says. “Go in to Martin and tell him to stop moving the furniture out, and I’ll see that the books make money.” And I came up with a raft of new books and all these books began to make money. Somehow they had faith in me. I knew I could do it, but I had to come up with fresh characters that nobody had seen before. I came up with The Fantastic Four. I came up with Thor. Whatever it took to sell a book I came up with. Stan Lee has never been editorial minded. It wasn’t possible for a man like Stan Lee to come up with new things — or old things for that matter. Stan Lee wasn’t a guy that read or that told stories. Stan Lee was a guy that knew where the papers were or who was coming to visit that day. Stan Lee is essentially an office worker, OK? I’m essentially something else: I’m a storyteller. My job is to sell my stories. When I saw this happening at Marvel I stopped the whole damned bunch. I stopped them from moving the furniture! Stan Lee was sitting on some kind of a stool, and he was crying.

GROTH: Stan says he conceptualized virtually everything in The Fantastic Four — that he came up with all the characters. And then he said that he wrote a detailed synopsis for Jack to follow.

ROZ KIRBY: I’ve never seen anything.

KIRBY: I’ve never seen it, and of course I would say that’s an outright lie.

GROTH: Looking back on it, do you see the Challengers of the Unknown as a precursor to the Fantastic Four

KIRBY: Yes, there were always precursors to the Fantastic Four — except the Fantastic Four were mutations. When people began talking about the bomb and its possible effect on human beings, they began talking about mutations because that’s a distinct possibility. And I said, “That’s a great idea.”

Edited by Steven Ely on 31 August 2015 at 1:15pm

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2015 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Sounds" way too lop-sided to me.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2015 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

If Joe Maneely hadn't died so young...