Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10
Topic: Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes! Moaning about it on here clearly worked as Amazon UK delivered it to me today. :)
Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Yep, mine has turned up now! That's the weekend sorted.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

Given our dollar strength, $1.27 CAD to $1.00 USD...

I still could not resist.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Menendian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2016 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I picked this up and it's been thoroughly enjoyable. The artwork is incredible, the paperstock is excellent, the coloring is rich, the oversized pages reveal more detail, and the extras are nice.   I also thought the presentation organization was helpful.  

I owned most of the comic books in here but there were many that I did not.  This was a very easy and efficient way to fill in the gaps in my collection. FWIW,  I like the cover. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2016 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Here are a few snapshots of mine.

I was pleasantly surprise by the (well-deserved) praise of JB's work I read on
the front inner flap of the book jacket.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 6  

My copy arrived last night, and it is a stunning collection.  While I have most of this in other sources, it's a trip to see it collected together.  It's a reminder of how much ground JB covered and how he worked on so many characters with a lot of other talent at Marvel.  While I would have picked a different line-up, it's still a fantastic book.

I was planning a night of TV after work, but I fell into this collection for quite some time instead.  What a ride!!!

The big standouts on my initial look - Hulk and Wolverine.  The Hulk stories are pitch perfect.  The Wolverine work has only improved over time -- I was initially disappointed when the book was released that JB did not ink his own work, but Klaus Janson's inks proved to give this book a distinctive look.  Today, I think it is exceptional with some great stories by Archie Goodwin. And while I love Klaus Janson's work, it is still great that JB inked "Endings" - the last issue of that run, which also closes out this collection.

Highly recommended!!!

Jason Stephens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 7  

I got mine last week.  It is awesome, especially considering that I had not read a good 75% of the issues included.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

I was so excited about this that when it appeared in my comics shop a full week before I would have received it from Amazon, I grabbed it and gladly paid full price.  Full Discloure: my LCS has a generous buying rewards program with $20 off every $100 you spend so I still got a good deal but I still would have bought it early regardless. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

On a related note, the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 is now back in print. It features a big portion of JB's X-Men run, collecting X-Men 94-131, Annual 3, and Giant Size X-Men 1. www.instocktrades.com has it right now for $49.99 (50% off). It's a deal of the week so that price should remain until mid-day next Tuesday. I don't have the original printing so I think I will get a copy.

And speaking of new printings, the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus is likely to get an eventual second printing so even if JB was not in time to get a different cover for this printing, there's still hope for future printings!

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

For those who didn't get the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus when it first came out, www.instocktrades.com has it on sale right now for $50 (60% off the $125 cover price), which is enough to qualify for free shipping. Check out the Marvel sale page or just do a search for it. I did get it when it first came out but most of my collection was flooded several months ago so I was able to pick up a discount replacement copy.

Also, the brand new John Byrne: Stowaway to the Stars Graphic Album to Color is available for $9.09 (30% off).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version