Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think the reaction to Sandy Hook cemented the reality for me that
America will never do anything constructive about gun violence. This
isn't just because of the total political cowardice regarding legislation
but because so many people -- not just the opportunists in the NRA --
argued for *more* guns. Guy walks into a movie theater and kills
people. MORE guns. Because shooting at each other in the dark and
in confusion is awesome. Candidates for president argued for this.
Obama, after a tragedy, suggests about as meekly as possible that we
should do something about ensuring that guns don't get into the
hands of lunatics and Rick Perry responds that "the president doesn't
like guns and doesn't want anyone to have them either!"

I almost have more respect for the outright loons who think that guns
will protect them from the big bad government. At least they have the
excuse of idiocy. But too many pro-gun politicians bow to their gun
lobby masters... and children die. CHILDREN. Women die in movie
theaters. If you put your political career ahead of that, I don't
recognize you as anything worthy of my respect.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

Goddamnit!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/27/salinas -
california-shooting/71276080/

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 3  

the Jim Jeffreis link above pretty much solidifies why we can and should ban guns

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 4  

the Jim Jeffreis link above pretty much solidifies why we can and should ban guns

••

Unfortunately, he makes the same mistake toward the end there, that many gun fetishists make right out of the gate: that the Second Amendment guarantees our right to protect ourselves from the government.

Uhm, wrong. The Second Amendment is a government regulation, and the moment one tries to turn it against the government, one loses its protection. Pretty simple really. Right there in the wording. The Second Amendment allows the people to "keep and bear arms" in support of "a well regulated militia." And who makes the regulations?

(As I have noted before, the "well regulated militia" as something "necessary to the security of a free state" is the single clause that should, in any reasonable context, gut the Second Amendment. Anyone who imagines that local militias can serve as the final line of defense after the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines have been wiped out -- well, to borrow a line from Mr. Jefferies, they are definitely bringing guns to a drone fight.)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 5  

We're headed into an election year; shouldn't it be ideal timing to push the issue more than ever? Are the gun lobbyists/lawmakers really THAT overpowering??

••

An election year is the LAST time any of those weasels in Washington (and at state levels) will try to do anything. They have to protect their phony baloney jobs!

Single biggest problem with politicians: it does not take long BEING in office before "serving the electorate" takes second, third, one hundred and forty seventh place behind STAYING in office.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 6  

Which is WHY I hate politics and the whole election process…. the "power" of voters should ensure such important matters as gun violence and measures to reduce such are prioritized. ('m fully aware of what a FARCE that is.) Gun lobbyists already have "our" government in their "back pockets" so the anti-gun stance never had a chance no matter how many lives are lost.

-C!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

It is sad, but long ago I came to the realization that banning guns will not prevent that. I live in a country with 204 million inhabitants, it is impossible to buy guns (in a legal manner). And we have 60.000 people killed by guns every year. Banning guns will not make you safer. Will not prevent that. Last month in Rio de Janeiro (where the next Olympics will be held) we had a series of assassinations with knives. So the government prohibited citizens of carrying knives.... Do you think it helped?

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

the idea of having a militia when and if our govt gets too powerful is also ridiculous and outdated.
i know some people that love to target shoot, with automatic weapons, pistols, etc. i think its worth taking away this activity from them to ensure people arent being killed walking the streets. other than that i cant see any real reason one would need a gun. you're better off knowing a self defense/martial arts skill to protect yourself.

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

On top of all the good points everyone has made, I am also concerned about the ability to make guns with 3D printers. I fear a terrible problem could get even worse.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 29 August 2015 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Please forgive me if my question is ill-phrased, but as a Canadian I'm curious as to why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place.

Taking into account that the USA had only been in existence for some 15 years and, I assume, the threat of Britain in the back of the Government's mind. Should the British attack and the government fall and a puppet British government installed. Wouldn't the amendment be about making sure that the citizens of would be armed and ready to take back their government from a foreign invader?

If that's the case, the chances of the American government falling to foreign invaders in this day and age is somewhere between nil and none to my mind.

Or am I completely off-base here?

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2015 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Robert Ingrao wrote:
i know some people that love to target shoot, with automatic weapons, pistols, etc. i think its worth taking away this activity from them to ensure people arent being killed walking the streets. other than that i cant see any real reason one would need a gun. you're better off knowing a self defense/martial arts skill to protect yourself.

Automatic weapons are illegal to own without the government giving expressed permission in the form of a 'tax stamp'. Getting that requires a lot of paperwork, with a lot of government officials signing off (including the local Sheriff) and it isn't cheap. Unless it's a TV/Movie/Comic self defense via physical violence is going to get most people hurt. That option becomes less practical as one ages or deals with injuries. While I get this forum is mostly anti-gun, there is a reason why 1 out of 3 Americans own a firearm. Almost all of the people who own one, have it for protection.

Cory Vandernet[QUOTE wrote:
Please forgive me if my question is ill-phrased, but as a Canadian I'm curious as to why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place.<snip>If that's the case, the chances of the American government falling to foreign invaders in this day and age is somewhere between nil and none to my mind.

You would be correct in your thoughts on why the 2nd Amendment was created. It was created so Americans could form defense against foreign invaders, be it British or French or whoever. You are also correct in thinking that the odds of America falling to an invader is almost nil, it doesn't hurt that behind every door could be a armed defender. Before I'm attacked by people thinking I'm for arming everyone, I don't believe having some civilian armed is going to go all Die Hard and save the world.

Edited by Brian Skelley on 29 August 2015 at 1:49am

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 12  

"Almost all of the people who own one, have it for protection."

and the odds of it ever getting used for that purpose (and im not even saying effectively vs UNeffectively) are slim.
to me, unless one is in an actual situation on a daily basis in which one's life is actually potentially threatened, one does not need a gun. we need to flush the current system and start over. pull all the guns back, stop making more guns, stop selling guns, get them all out of the hands of the public and THEN figure out a system in which everyone is happy. i mean, y'know, if it was up to me.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version