Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: OT: Candidates For Shakespeare Authorship (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1  

There comes a time when experts, if they are not very careful, become less concerned with uncovering the truth than they are with protecting the area of their expertise.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2  

There comes a time when experts, if they are not very careful, become less concerned with uncovering the truth than they are with protecting the area of their expertise.

I would put that on billboards across the nation if I could. Seriously.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

...what severe blows she delivers to the Stratfordian cause. I had no idea the case against the man was THAT strong!

•••

I've often said, anyone who takes the time to really look into the Authorship Question may not come away convinced, as I am, that "Shakespeare" was the Earl of Oxford, but they cannot rationally continue to believe he was the Stratford man.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 4  

So then, James Shapiro now claims "the smoking gun" has been found proving that Shakspere was Shakespeare:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 5  

This is nothing new. Shaksper's quest for a coat of arms is well documented. He was mocked for his pretentions even in the day. Ben Jonson parodies the Shaksper motto "Not Without Right" as "Not Without Mustard."

NO idea where these "scholars" conjure the idea that it was unusual for a theatrical personage to seek fame and/or notoriety!!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I've read this article several times. "Smoking gun"? What proves anything? Shakspere was "deeply invested" in being "a social climber" -- and that proves he wrote which plays and poems... how?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 7  

The old game is being played here -- so ingrained that it is probably not even conscious any more.

The man from Stratford called himself Shaksper, something we know from nearly eighty references in contemporary documents, almost all with different spellings but the same phonetics. But it is common practice to call him Shakespeare, and thus obfuscate a very important distinguishing difference.

Civilians understandably miss the point entirely. "Did Shakespeare write Shakespeare? What does that even mean??"

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 8  

It's flat-out amazing to me that the same article which begins by stating bluntly that most everything about Shakespeare the author is a matter of speculation then proceeds to glory over a supposed "smoking gun"! Also, I mean, what's the NYTimes on about? The title of the article states "Playwright," but within the article, Shapiro and Wolfe are quite careful to talk about Shakespeare the player (actor) and not the playwright. Is this unconscious? It has to be, or it's subterfuge!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 9  

That Shaksper was a minor player in London theater of the time is documented -- tho, even there we find some gaps and smudges. The actor may not have been the man from Stratford. There have, after all, been other instances where Wm. Shaksper turned out to be some other guy from Warwickshire.

But that connection to the theater (which may even have been a post mortem invention!) is the best link between the Stratford man and the playwright, so those in the Stratford camp cling to it.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Not much smoke in that gun, is there? Shakspere as a player still doesn't connect him with actual writing. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

NOTHING does.

This is what ultimately convinced me. Virtually all his contemporaries left some kind of "paper trail," something that identified them as writers in their lifetimes. For the Stratford man, Brawn-Do style circular thinking kicks in. He is an author because he wrote the plays, and he wrote the plays because he is an author.

This despite not one word we can be absolutely certain is in his own hand!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

Is there an estimate as to how common the name Wm. Shaksper (and its variations) was during and around the DeVerean era?  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version