Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Avengers vs. FF vs. X-Men (#1) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Worthy" could mean almost anything.  I would think being a noble warrior is a good start, which would cover Cap and Wonder Woman, but not Superman in my opinion.  Noble?  Yes. Hero?  Yes.  Warrior?  Debatable.

Back to our original question - I think Tony Stark and Hank Pym's brains cancel out Reed Richard's genius, and the Invisible Girl (much like the Wasp) is relegated to being a background character.  It's pretty tough to imagine Reed/Johnny/Ben matching up with Thor/Hulk/Iron Man.

As for the X-Men - the Beast and the Angel aren't in their class, Marvel Girl hasn't really expanded her powers beyond telekinesis, and Cyclops and Ice Man are no match for the Thor or the Hulk.  If Xavier get involved personally it's another story, but he's really the only real threat the X-Men have for the Avengers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

That scene in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON was a cheat. If Cap was "worthy" enough to budge the hammer, he should have been worthy enough to lift it. Mjolnir is now a barometer of worthiness? :P

How the X-Men vs Avengers would play out? Well, Professor X could do a lot just by himself. Cyclops' optic blast would block Iron Man's repulsors or sweep Ant-Man's ant swarm away; Iceman would also be able to block one or the other with ice walls. Jean might be able to lift the Hulk and keep him busy. Angel's downdraft would send Wasp tumbling. Beast might have to use a combination of speed and strength to knock Thor down, but that's a long shot. Even at his original power level, Thor's out of Hank McCoy's league. Now if Cyclops' optic blast was able to deflect Mjolnir and Jean was able to keep him away from it with telekinesis...

The X-Men have one additional advantage. Between Cyclops as a tactical leader and Professor X linking them telepathically, their teamwork is far stronger than the Avengers was as of their first appearance. That's not nothing.

Hm.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 20 November 2015 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

And I like JB's what-if scenario, because it remains true to the idea of Don Blake as a character rather than giving in to the readers who wanted it all explained in a nice, neat package.

This alternative would have been much more in keeping with how Stan seemed to view his characters: human beings, with all the flaws and foibles of our kind, who nevertheless use the power given to them to do good things. Finding out you really ARE Thor kind of overturns that...

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

If the battles were a surprise to each group I would agree that the Avengers would win.  However, if they knew in advance I would say the FF wins the day.  Reed would whip up one gizmo to negate Prof. X's power, another to neutralize Thor, and that would be that.  

How about the Masters of Evil vs the Frightful Four vs. the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants?  

Regarding Thor, he (his hammer)  had a lot of crazy powers in the early days.  Magnetism, radiation absorption, etc, iirc. Most of that stuff left after a few years.  He was Superman with Green Lantern's ring.

Edited by William Lukash on 20 November 2015 at 6:58pm

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

Late to the party, but I'll add a vote for Avengers.  Simply too much power. I'd also put x-men over FF.  Especially since we're talking the teams as they were in #1 issues.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 6  

I have to admit that any team with Thor in it is going to have the advantage. He's often not used to his full potential but Thor alone is a powerhouse on many levels. When you add Mjolnir to the mix he pretty much takes out almost all players. 

A contest of wills between Storm and Thor would be interesting. But I think with his divine heritage he would ultimately win out. And I don't think it would take that long either -- edit just re-read and realized it was the original teams -- so scrap Storm being there...still would be interesting.  

Edited by Dale Lerette on 25 November 2015 at 10:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

As I reflect, I am reminded of Avengers Annual #2, wherein the original Avengers defeated EVERY OTHER SUPER BEING on Earth. That's probably a point to convince some readers as well.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2015 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Eric is correct. I hadn't thought of it when the question was raised, but Marvel itself came down pretty decisively on the side of the Avengers on this question long ago. That Avengers Annual #2 story was later revisited in this issue of What If with a Michael Golden cover...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2015 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 9  

That What If cover was a great one too. Loved Michael Golden's art. 

When you think about it the original Avengers had 3 heavy hitters with Iron Man, Hulk and Thor. Pym's technical ability probably shouldn't be underrated either. He's not on Reed's or Stark's level. But he's still pretty darn good. And with a bit of prep-time he might be able to rig up some interesting contraptions and bio-physical inventions.  

Edited by Dale Lerette on 27 November 2015 at 8:12am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version