Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: The Atlantic:The Trouble With Superman (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2016 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Also, there were two versions of Jason Todd. Originally, he was a circus acrobat whose parents had been murdered by Killer Croc. He had reddish hair and wore a costume different from Robin's. While he and Batman were trying to decide upon what name he should use, Dick Grayson showed up with his old costume and gave his blessing to Jason continuing in his role as Robin.

Come the Crisis, everyone realized they could start all of their stories over again and Max Allen Collins preferred a hot-shot street punk caught boosting the tires off the Batmobile as Robin. He was given ties to the criminal community through his parents, and Jason Todd became a bad seed trying to go good, although not really trying all that hard at times...

That incarnation proved fairly unpopular in certain circles and so DC pandered to the "controversy" by setting up Death in the Family and the infamous "1-800" number poll which was decided by a few fans with the ability to repeatedly robo-call in their votes. 

So once the "bad" Jason Todd was disposed of, violently, to the detriment of the Batman mythos forever after (Batman didn't save Robin? The Joker beat Robin to death with a crowbar? While Robin's mom stood by and did nothing? How does any of that help the character or the world of Batman?) They brought in Tim Drake. A kid who witnessed the death of the Flying Graysons and took on the role of Robin with the blessing of Dick Grayson... Not that far off from the guy they started with pre-Crisis.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Because I have to tangent... here's what I saw reading JB's comment:

JB: "... at a convention in Atlanta, at dinner with Frank Miller and his girlfriend, Dick Giordano offered me..."

Thank Dog for proper grammar and commas and context!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 3  

Because I have to tangent... here's what I saw reading JB's comment:

JB: "... at a convention in Atlanta, at dinner with Frank Miller and his girlfriend, Dick Giordano offered me..."

••

You saw what I wrote?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Crisis was a bad idea done poorly. The excuse of "too many Earths" seems barely a tertiary reason. I have inferred that the first reason for Crisis was that someone at DC thought that a super team-up of all its heroes would be really cool - and that included heroes from other Earths. The second reason would have been, "Wolfman and Perez have been such a big hit on Titans, let's try them on EVERY character!"

And then DC poisoned their own well with the aftermath of Crisis - especially their violation of THEIR OWN STORY CONCEPT in the last issue of Crisis. Everybody remembered the Flash; nobody remembered Supergirl. How does THAT work?

And then the aftermath - Supergirl, Superboy, Hawkman, Wonder Woman, the Justice Society, Superman (because, while Mr. Byrne's work is splendid, someone forgot to ask - why is Superman special in the post-Crisis universe? He didn't bring anything that Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, or Captain Comet hadn't earlier.)

I had heard second (third?) hand that Marv Wolfman had stated that he had a script (or script idea) of how to undo Crisis halfway through if it didn't prove to be popular with the readers. How could that have happened nearly fast enough?

There was nothing wrong with Superman. There IS nothing wrong with Superman. The problem is with the writers.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5  

Crisis was a bad idea done poorly. The excuse of "too many Earths" seems barely a tertiary reason. I have inferred that the first reason for Crisis was that someone at DC thought that a super team-up of all its heroes would be really cool - and that included heroes from other Earths. The second reason would have been, "Wolfman and Perez have been such a big hit on Titans, let's try them on EVERY character!"

••

Reverse the order and you come closer to the mark. The primary reason -- what you call tertiary -- was fannish snobbery. "Oh, well, WE have been reading these books for YEARS so WE understand the complexities of the multiverse, but NEW READERS would be totally lost!" I heard variations on that for about a decade before CRISIS happened.

Sad thing was, nobody seems to have considered the simple expedient of NOT TALKING ABOUT THE OTHER EARTHS.* Again, the fannish mindset prevailed, and it all had to be "fixed" in a STORY. A story that, ultimately, proved even MORE off-putting to potential "new readers."

_________

* The way I simply made no references to Reed and Ben having fought in WW2.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 6  

I enjoyed a lot of the Tim Drake Robin stuff, but a lot of that could have been
done with the original Robin if Dick Grayson hadn't aged him.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7  

I enjoyed a lot of the Tim Drake Robin stuff, but a lot of that could have been done with the original Robin if Dick Grayson hadn't aged him.

••

When Robin was introduced the companies were still being run by people who were old hands at the publishing game, and who understood the rules, even if they were unwritten. Readers, too, understood how the game was played. It was not until they began to morph into "Fans" that the problems began to show themselves.

Robin, when I "met" him, circa 1956, was about ten years old. No kind of "realism" was forced into the character -- if anyone expressed concern that a ten year old child should be put into the kind of dangerous situations Batman faced, those complaints did not see print. And most people were not likely to worry about it, anyway. Comics were fantasy entertainment, not snapshots of reality. (Kids really didn't tie towels around their necks and jump off the garage roof trying to fly like Superman. They (I) understood it wasn't in the cape!)

When the Teen Titans were introduced, Robin aged subtly. He'd been a "tween" for a couple of decades, but now he was officially a teenager. Still, from the way he and the other Titans were drawn, it was easy to assume they were just barely teenagers, no more than thirteen.

But DC editorial offices have long had the problem of not understanding that they are part of a greater whole, and things that happen in one title can ripple out to impact on other, seemingly unconnected titles. So when the Batman office decided to restore Batman to his "roots," principally by getting rid of Robin, they packed him off to college. (Death was not yet the fetish it would become, for fans or pros.) But college meant a considerable jump in age, since apparently nobody thought Dick was genius enough to start college when he was thirteen.

Dick becoming roughly eighteen meant the other Titans became, instantly, the same age. And -- and here's the part everyone at DC seems to have trouble with -- everybody else aged the same amount! And when other kids were brought in, and they too aged, the effect became cumulative.

When I was working on WONDER WOMAN, I had Nightwing appear. I asked, simply for my own frame of reference, how old he was supposed to be. I was told Dick was at that time 28. Which meant he had aged 18 years since becoming Robin -- and so had Batman. And Superman. And Lois Lane. Hard to maintain that Superman is eternally 29 when 18 years have passed "on camera."

And all they'd ever had to do was not age the characters.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 8  

Sad thing was, nobody seems to have considered the simple expedient of NOT TALKING ABOUT THE OTHER EARTHS.
---------------------------
Exactly. Your approach to the Fantastic Four is undoubtedly the right approach -- include the elements that need to be kept and quietly drop everything else. Think how mad it would be to have done a story explaining how Reed and Ben fought in WW2 and were still in their primes in 'now'. Just drop it and no-one cares -- and you haven't put a kink the characters' continuity for evermore. Do a story explaining it and you invariably complicate things when the opposite is required.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 9  

Dick becoming roughly eighteen meant the other Titans became, instantly, the same age. And -- and here's the part everyone at DC seems to have trouble with -- everybody else aged the same amount! 

I wasn't a particularly critical reader at the time, but one of the few instances where my brain rebelled against a story was Donna Troy's origin in TEEN TITANS. With Wonder Woman rescuing an infant Donna from a fire, that would mean Diana (and Superman, Batman, etc) had been active for close to, if not longer than, twenty years.  They were older than my parents at the time!

The older-than-my-grandparents heroes of Earth-Two didn't phase me nearly as much as the revelation that my heroes were so darned old.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 10  

I wasn't a particularly critical reader at the time, but one of the few instances where my brain rebelled against a story was Donna Troy's origin in TEEN TITANS. With Wonder Woman rescuing an infant Donna from a fire, that would mean Diana (and Superman, Batman, etc) had been active for close to, if not longer than, twenty years. They were older than my parents at the time!

••

From what I have been told, that "origin" came about thru a cascade of errors, the first being the assumption by the creators of the Teen Titans that Wonder Girl was Wonder Woman's kid partner. (The lack of communication between editorial fiefdoms at DC in those days was staggering!) Wonder Girl was, of course, a younger version of Diana (as was Wonder Tot) created thru Amazon magic.

So that had to be "fixed..."

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Aaaargh!

That should have been "...if DC hadn't aged him."

So if Batman and Superman were 48-50 years old (at the youngest) when JB
introduced a new Wonder Girl… and DC later aged her to be at least 18...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Immediately after "fixing" the problem of the Multiverse, with its parallel worlds, what's the first thing DC did?  ELSEWORLDS!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version