"Finally it dawned on me to see if it was possible to
have a second set of light switches installed at the top
of the stairs. It was!"

You sir, are a damn fine human being.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2016 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

J.B. i am experiencing a similar thing with my dog,coincidentally also called Sam...he has been suffering with Diabetes since last summer and in October went blind virtually overnight as a result.At first it was a big thing for him,but he`s gradually mentally mapped out the house.The problem is that he follows us,so if we go upstairs for something he comes too,but he can`t get down,so it ends up being two trips,one to bring down what we went up for,two to carry him down! If we nip out and leave him with the run of the house,he goes `to bed`(he sleeps on a cushion in our bedroom).We recently returned from a shopping trip and as we were bringing in the shopping,he started to descend the stairs himself,not headfirst like he did when he was sighted,but sideways,first front paws,then following with rear paws! We were SO proud of his ingenuity and courage,but we think he was eager to see if we`d bought him some treats from the pet shop!
P.S. Jim Lynch,please get another dog,the animal shelters are full of them,and believe me,they will not be pale imitations,just different and just as special!

Edited by Bill Collins on 12 February 2016 at 1:58pm

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2016 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with bill. Another dog would not be a pale imitation as a lot of dogs have their own unique personality. 

Peter: Lola's a cutie!

I remember long before i joined up here and would browse the board seeing photos of mr byrne's dog sam and my heart melted every time i saw him. You couldn't help but fall in love with him.

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2016 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

My Golden, Sam, was like that. It became something of a problem when he got old and his legs were not all they had once been. If I forgot to turn off the lights in the Studio at the end of the workday I would trot downstairs to get them, and despite my telling him to "stay!" he would trundle down the stairs after me -- and sometimes he would fall, headfirst.

************************************************************ ********************
My Golden, Laika had a similar issue in her twilight years.  Her hind legs weren't getting the blood flow they needed.  She never complained though and was very stoic.  It got to the point where she would wait and I would carry her up and down.  She did so much for us, it was the least I could do for her.  Tearing up revisiting that process......

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2016 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Pets will break your heart. Still worth it.
Back to Top profile | search

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2016 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

Absolutely peter. Pets are always worth it.It's amusing to see some of the people here who say 'oh i didn't want a dog,but now my partner brought one home and i love them'. Dogs want so little,but give so much back in return

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 7  

Awesome photo Peter! She's really got some air!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Robbie Parry wrote: 

“I wonder if any dogs are seen as not worthy of being homed due to superstition.

It's not the same, I know, but a recent UK news report stated that black cats (fully black, no white fur) are in many cat homes/pounds because superstition dictates that people don't want them. Which is a shame, really.

I wonder if any dogs have a bad reputation right now, based on superstition or media representation.”

I have volunteered at animal shelters for the past sixteen years, and the news report you are referencing sounds like what is called Black Dog Syndrome in the US. For a variety of reasons, many people find black coated pets less desirable. Petfinder has a short article on it: Link

On the flip side, every organization I’ve been associated with puts a moratorium on the adoption of black cats, as well as kittens and puppies a few days before Halloween because of the fear that they will be used in rituals. 

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

JOHN BYRNE: "After the release of LASSIE COME HOME, in 1943, there was a spike in Collie sales, for instance. The popularity of that breed had been sliding over the previous three decades.

I can't recall seeing any of the families we know here in Connecticut with collies in a long time, although there were a few families I knew that had collies back in the 1960s. Many yellow labs and golden retrievers, though, and a family that our daughters went to school with just got a German Shepard puppy (cute, but a real handful at 5 months old). 

We've got our second dog, a CORGI mix we adopted as a puppy from a rescue organization out of Wallingford -  looks a lot like a Corgi (and acts a lot like one, too), but you can see some other hound breeds going on with her. 

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2016 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Oh that's so heartening to hear you got her from a rescue organization,william. So often people will go for the ones that are bred and the rescues need just as much love too and more often than not will give you so much love and loyalty in return.Post pictures if you have any!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 11  

We think our dog is a mix of Corgi and Border Collie.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 12  

As you know we lost Autumn (our black lab) a month ago, the house has seemed empty and I'm still seeing her out of the corner of my eye. The last time we lost our dog (Maddie) we waited about 6 months before we adopted Autumn so, imagine my surprise when my wife started looking this past Monday for a new family member. Friday she (and my two girls) showed me a picture and in unison said "PLEASE!" so I want to introduce to you the newest member of the Roberge family Pepper!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version