Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Again and again. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Robbie, you are the one talking about being paranoid. I think people just need to be vigilant and don't surrender their rights to the government.
I can speak for the country where I live and I still remember when any decent and law abiding citizen could buy a gun, then, leftist government came into power and made it almost impossible to obtain permit for concealed carry of firearm. Since then, the crime rate grew a lot, the number of victims murdered with firearm is the highest on the planet with almost 60.000 people killed every year.
I know that USA is not Brazil, but forgive me if I am skeptical.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Robbie, you are the one talking about being paranoid. I think people just need to be vigilant and don't surrender their rights to the government.

Paranoia and vigilance are two different things.

Me not walking through a park at 4am in the morning, near to a rough side of town, is vigilance; me walking around 24/7 with a firearm, because I fear a tyrannical government is going to jump out of the bushes, is paranoia.

Live your life. There are no guarantees. Fuck me, aliens could invade tomorrow and herd us all into camps. I don't know. 

I'm sorry but the "we must carry firearms 24/7 in case tyranny takes over" is paranoid, Marco. Be vigilant. Don't walk into rough areas at night, but don't go through life expecting bad things to happen all the time.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

Trust me, if my government (UK) became tyrannical tomorrow, and took control of the armed forces, I'd not have much say in surrendering rights. I'd be in a cell if such a highly unlikely thing happened. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

All ended well, but there was a moment when I was sure the guy was going to pull out a gun. He was very much dressed to conceal.

People in other countries don't think that way.

+++

I understand and agree that it is hard for me to fully grasp what it means in daily life. Maybe if I had experienced living in a place where things like that may happen, I would think differently. 

To be honest, I just don't like the idea of the government in control.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

"we must carry firearms 24/7 in case tyranny takes over"
+++

That is paranoid, but I never said that. Remember that I used the example of Switzerland. Hardly the land of paranoids...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

You shared that dinosaur pic and talked about rights being lost and surrendering rights, Marco. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yes, just like it happened in Venezuela (the most recent example).
It is not the same thing as saying that we need to carry firearms 24x7.
Again, Switzerland is a good (if not the best) model for responsible gun ownership.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Keep in mind Marcio doesn't think gays should have to right to be married. He thinks the government shold make them all have civil unions. So, which side of government does he fall on? The side in which governmentt shouldn't tell us how to live our lives or the side which tells people they can't be married based on sexual orientation?

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

The extreme libertarian no-government philosophy is as bad as the communist all-government philosophy. In the real world we need balance. We need laws to make us safer, but not more than that. There are things the private sector does best, and things the public sector does best.

Governments are established by the people for reasons. These reasons are stated in the Preamble, which is more important than any of the articles or amendments.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Keep in mind Marcio doesn't think gays should have to right to be married. 

In that case, Marco and I have nothing to talk about. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

You know, its possible that the U.S. has a problem with guns, and the whole world has a problem with Islam.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dear Brian Miller, 

I don't think this is the topic of this thread, but now that you mentioned, please add that I support that both marriage and civil union should have equal rights from a legal perspective. 

Now, if you want to continue to talk about that topic, I would be more than happy to share in detail what is my perspective. If you don't agree with it, we can still be friends. 

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version