Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Again and again. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

Marcio Ferreira wrote:
I never suggested that Liberals were defending murder, but defending Islam. It is hard to understand why Liberals are so hardcore against Christians (or Jews) like the situation with the cake for the gay wedding, and treat Islam so differently...

Marcio, have you ever spent any length of time in America? 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marcio, have you ever spent any length of time in America?
+++
In USA, just a couple of visits in Florida (around four weeks). Why?
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marcio Ferreira wrote:
In USA, just a couple of visits in Florida (around four weeks). Why?

You're absolutely entitled to your opinions about what America should do.  But I think your view reflects just as much nuance as my view of Brazil would.  

I'm white.  I'm a New Yorker.  I'm a Jew.  I'm straight.  My wife is Puerto Rican.  I'm liberal.  My sister is a lesbian now happily married to her partner of two decades.  I wonder how many of these you can understand beyond the simple cartoon version of American life you project?  You seem like a smart man, but I think your conclusions are wrong, given your real lack of experience.  I'm certain you've gotten your fill in recent months of non-Brazilians commenting as if THEY KNOW about what Brazil can do to fix its problems.

I couldn't say any of that.  Your life and experience is, by definition, alien to me.  Anything I would say would not only be uninformed, but would border on offensive.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Because that worked really well in Paris... and countries where people have guns, like Switzerland are subject to a higher rate of attacks. No, wait...

As someone who checks out Europe-wide news on the BBC's relevant pages, I can't say I've heard of any incidents in Switzerland, Marco.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Robbie, I was just trying to be sarcastic. Switzerland is known for having one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, and it is one of the safest places on earth. In my opinion I don't think it is a coincidence.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

The reason it is safer could be more to do with the Swiss mindset. I don't know much about Swiss gun laws/ownership, but there is a mindset prevalent in the US pertaining to the Second Amendment.

Can't always compare, Marco (apples and oranges). Switzerland, according to a census report I just checked, has 8 million people. It has 26 cantons. I'm not sure, with any debate (trade/gun laws/etc), comparisons can be drawn between nations.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

Hello Kopperman.

I'm white, I'm Paulistano (born and raised in the largest city in the Southern Hemisphere: São Paulo), I'm not a religious person, but I was baptized and raised as Catholic. My wife is Chinese (but she was born in Brazil and lived in Paraguay). Most of my family (two brothers) have a conservative point of view on life and political matters (Brazilian conservative which is probably somewhat different from an American Conservative). Even though I haven't lived in US, my perception goes way beyond the average Brazilian (granted that local experience must be key to fully understand certain aspects). 
As to my opinions, well. I am from a poor family, and I grew up thinking that the Leftist had the solution for the world. When I was a teenager I thought Cuba was great, Fidel was a hero and Che Guevara was a symbol of liberty for an oppressed people. I could not be more wrong. With time and study (not that I am a scholar or anything) I came to admire and changed my political view towards became more liberal (not in the same sense you use in USA, but in the economic sense) with less state influence and liberty. I admire most of what Tatcher and Reagan did, so I would be close to the ideas of the Republican party (even though I believed Obama would be great as president).
As to being offensive, that was not my intention, but I have read comments of many Republicans (not Trump) and I feel that my point of view is not far from theirs. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Robbie, I believe that the mindset pertaining to the Second Amendment has a lot to do with this:

The bigger the government is, less freedom for the citizens (or worse):

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, what a paranoid way to go about life. Worrying constantly that your government is out to get you as represented by that "dinosaur".

Why even leave a chair? When I go out and about, things could happen. Someone tried to mug me in a park once. I don't now avoid parks. I don't carry any sort of non-firearm weaponry (such as a knife) with me when I visit that park. 

I live my life and enjoy it. If someone lives a 24/7 existence where they carry a gun because a government MIGHT turn tyrannical or MIGHT be out to get you, well, again, what a paranoid existence...

Yes, there may be reasons to fear some things. We should always be on guard against anything Orwellian. We should protect our civil liberties. No-one knows what the future holds. But why be paranoid in the meantime?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

A Muslim can murder 50 homossexuals and liberals still defend their religion, but a Christian who refuses to bake a homossexual's wedding cake endures nation wide shaming on behalf of his religion.

Why are we still putting up with you? Jesus, the gay marriage thing was bad enough, now you're going this route?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

Here is something that is dripping with sarcasm and unfortunately not that far off from what many feel:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

The other day I was having a late breakfast at a local diner when a scruffy looking guy stumbled in and sat down two stools away from me. He gave his order to the waitress in a very belligerent manner, as if saying "Go ahead! I dare you to f*ck it up!"

After a while his order came and he started eating, hunched over his plate. A conversation began at the other end of the counter between the owner and a couple of her friends. The guy next to me began "agreeing" with them in an ever louder voice, clearly demonstrating he was missing the whole point. Eventually it was f-this and f-that until one of the owner's friends stood up and identified himself as a cop. (The police station is right across the street.). This guy was BIG. He looked like Cab Calloway if he was exposed to gamma radiation. He spoke calmly but insistently, asking the shouter to please lower his voice. The shouter just kept getting louder.

All ended well, but there was a moment when I was sure the guy was going to pull out a gun. He was very much dressed to conceal.

People in other countries don't think that way.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version