Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Happy Birthday, Mr. President. . . (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

Adolf also shared the year of his birth with Charlie Chaplin and my grandfather!
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

Stephen Robinson wrote:
I'm not a fan of the guy, but I think the charges of fraud or con man are somewhat misplaced because an actual con artist wouldn't choose such alienating positions. He certainly wouldn't attack W. before the SC primary.

Why not?  It worked wonderfully for him. 

I think Trump correctly realized that a substantial amount of rank-and-file Republicans don't vote Republican because of the party's positions on trade or taxation, but rather in spite of them.  And he saw an opening for someone who could appeal to the racist/gun nut electorate (in ways a traditional Democrat never could) yet take a more populist/protectionist economic view.

I'm skeptical Trump has evolved politically into a Republican.  His views have been all over the map over his life.  He was a registered Republican in the 90s, then switched to Independent in 1999 so he could run for the Reform Party nomination.  Then in 2001 he registered as a Democrat, and in 2009 he switched to Republican.  He seems a textbook opportunist.

I don't believe Trump is a genuine racist.  I think he is deliberately pandering to bigots to get their votes.  As is noted here, even as Trump advocates for banning the entry of Muslims into the US, his US-based hotels still actively solicit business from wealthy Muslim clients.  Hardly the actions of someone who truly believes Muslims should be barred from this country.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 15 June 2016 at 12:30pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's not Hitler-level, but I share my birthday with Charles Manson.  As also do Neil Young, Nadia Comaneci, Tonya Harding, Grace Kelly, Auguste Rodin, and David Schwimmer.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think Trump's position shift to the right is probably genuine. It happens
to a lot of people as they get older. Dennis Miller is an even more
extreme example.

-----

Senator Al Franken has said on multiple occasions that Dennis Miller
hasn't changed from his SNL days and was always a conservative.

I don't think Trump has any positions to shift. I agree with those who
say he's an opportunist.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 15 June 2016 at 12:58pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I feel like 2016's race is basically Frank Underwood versus Claire Underwood. Claire was modelled after Hillary in the first place, so it's only half a stretch.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

Michael Roberts wrote:
Senator Al Franken has said on multiple occasions that Dennis Miller hasn't changed from his SNL days and was always a conservative.

Yep.  I think the difference is that in his SNL days Miller saw himself as a comedian first, and hence was willing to make jokes about both sides despite his own political leanings.  Post-911, he made the decision to basically be a partisan first and a comedian second, so he's no longer willing to make a joke about anyone with whom he agrees politically. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

I watched some of Miller's stand-up a few years ago. It was literally, "What's the deal with Democrats? I mean, they just want to surrender to terrorists. Well let me tell ya, these colors don't run, baby." 

And the audience laughed and cheered, despite the absence of an actual joke. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2016 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

In college I had some friends who were really into Christian rock, so I wound up hearing a good deal more of it than I would have chosen.  It led me to suspect that a lot of contemporary Christian artists know their talents are mediocre, so they chose to work in that genre because the competition will be much less fierce, and the audience will be more willing to forgive them their lack of talent as long as they deliver the correct message.  I get the impression Dennis Miller has come to the same conclusion.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 15 June 2016 at 3:06pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2016 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 9  

I think he is deliberately pandering to bigots to get their votes

--

And that's all I really need to not vote for him.  Solely on the basis of how he has campaigned, he must lose for the good of the nation's soul.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2016 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 10  

…for the good of the nation's soul.

••

Love this country, I really do. But if you're going to get metaphysical, I can't honestly say I think America has much soul left to lose. As a Nation we've committed centuries of atrocities on Native Peoples, enslaved Blacks, non-enslaved Blacks, Japanese Americans, Gays, and even White folk if they happened to be poor, or women.

Donald Trump sometimes takes on aspects of retribution.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2016 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

Maybe soul's like the right of way - you never have it; you can only yield it?  So we need to repudiate Trump just to keep treading water...

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

No matter where people fall in the political spectrum they should feel comfortable accepting this election as retribution for the Iraq war, be it the hand of the divine or simple irony. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version