Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Greatness of Our Pal Sal (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

I will not go off on a rant.

come on!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

HUGE Sal fan here.  As has been mentioned by some, my first exposure to his work was his long tenure on INCREDIBLE HULK.  Kirby or Trimpe may be some people's example of a perfect Hulk, but mine is Sal's.  That he also did so much work on PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, ROM and a host of other Marvel titles I devoured didn't hurt!  
Back to Top profile | search

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

I grew up on Sal's art with a Captain America book and record being my gateway drug.  Since then, I've read thousands of pages of comics drawn by him.   In my opinion, he elevates good writing to dizzying heights and makes bad writing bearable if not enjoyable.  Sal, John Buscema, John Byrne and George Perez represent the very best of comic book art. 

I'm lucky enough to be working with Sal on a comic book series I write (he's drawing covers and inking Ron Frenz's pencils inside) and I'm happy to report that as much as I love Sal's art, I love the man even more.  He's funny, sincere, articulate, thoughtful and joyful.  Phone calls that should take two minutes go on for 30 because he wants to share his life experiences and hear about mine. And professionally, even in his 80s, he hits his deadlines, is determined to give his best work and draw exactly what I ask for waaaaaay better than I had ever envisioned it.  If my small press eventually fails like most others do, it will all have been worth it because of the relationship I've forged with Sal.  He's easily as super as the characters he draws. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

That's so cool, Darin. The Frenz/Sal combo is tough to beat!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 5  

I adore his work on Spider-Man. Beautiful! 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 6  

Love his work. When I started reading HULK, Sal Buscema was drawing the book. Thus he set the template in my mind for how the Hulk should look.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Loved your description of Sal's art, JB. Also feel free to rant away about the death of Harry Osborn. I was mostly talking about my enjoyment of Sal's art on the issue. I really don't appreciate Marvel's propensity to kill their characters and their supporting cast just for shock value or to boost sales or just to make their stories more "grim and gritty." I mean, Uncle Ben's death was vital to Spider-Man's origin and I think it's arguable that Gwen Stacy's was pretty important to Peter Parker's growth as well, which is probably why they haven't brought either of them back from the dead like they did with Aunt May when they killed her and, of course, Harry himself (in that One More Day nonsense). As his best friend, Harry was an important part of Spider-Man's supporting cast and I'm not sure that his death made sense from a story-telling or character building aspect. Would really love to read your thoughts on it. It doesn't detract from the fact that Sal did a bang up job on the art. Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd that they killed a major member of Spider-Man's supporting cast in Spectacular Spider-Man rather than the flagship title Amazing. 

As far as inkers on Sal's art go, I looked up that particular issue that I posted a page from and saw that Sal inked himself on it.

Also, Greg Kirkman wrote: "As I understand it, dialogue was originally intended for that scene, but, when the finished art came in, it was decided to leave the dialogue out."

I've never heard that, but I think it was the correct decision. Not sure words would have added anything to that page as Sal did a wonderful job conveying everything that needed to be said with the art alone. I think it's much more powerful "silent" as it was published. That reminds me of the whole silent month thing that Marvel did back in the 80's. I thought it was an interesting thing to do as far as gimmicks go, as it really showcased the artists that were great story-tellers with their art alone and which artists weren't. (The Image guys hadn't come along yet, but there's no way in hell they would have been able to pull off a silent issue with their pages and pages of pin-ups with no story outside of the words.) Of course, leave it to JB to have an issue with pages without the art in his Snowblind issue of Alpha Flight which I thought was really freaking cool.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 June 2016 at 12:17pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

On any given day, if you ask me who my favorite Hulk artist is, I'll say either Sal Buscema or Herb Trimpe. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sal drew so many of my first issues of the Hulk as well. And when I think of what the Hulk looks like I generally see the Sal version, but my favorite Hulk artist is probably John Byrne despite the he didn't really get to draw him a whole bunch. I absolutely love the way JB has drawn the Hulk and was crushed when his run was cut short after six issues. It was a real treat to see the Marvel Fanfare all splash page issue of the Hulk that the editor refused to publish as the seventh issue of that run. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 June 2016 at 2:52pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

If I remember correctly it was Sal who first started drawing the Hulk with the purple swimming trunk bottoms similar to the blue ones the Abomination always wore. If I remember correctly, he was still wearing these during the Byrne and Mignola runs on the book as well. What's everyone's opinion on this costume for the Hulk? I didn't like it much at first because I was so used to the torn purple pants, but it eventually grew on me and it was definitely more practical than the torn purple pants while still keeping the color scheme. Did he start wearing these when he first got Bruce Banner's intelligence during the Mantlo/Buscema issues? 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 June 2016 at 3:34pm

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

He's still working at 80 too, here's his cover for the new ROM series, which comes out next month:

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

Sal is one of my all time favorites. He's a great one in many ways.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version