Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Generations and "Elseworlds" series (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 1  

I too need to find my copies again and give them another read. I particularly liked your early years versions of Batman and Superman! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 2  

I regularly reread these series and B/CA. AS I ALREADY OWN GENERATIONS 3 - I wish there were a TPB. I'd like to have it all in one place instead of twelve. Maybe the covers image could be a little clearer in a reprint as well.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 3  

I absolutely love Generations. It's just amazing storytelling, which is magnified when you consider the challenge of writing stories that interweave so well from one series to the next...and yet each form a coherent narrative on their own.

Great storytelling.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 4  

One of my personal disappointments with G3, oft mentioned, was that DC's insistence that I "take it forward" broke the pattern and lost, I thought, much of the charm. By moving "ahead" of the DCU I lost many of the points of recognition that had been such a a big part of the FUN of the first two.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

It would be fascinating to see what you might have done if G3 hadn't been pushed forward--although (and I'd need to reread it to confirm) it never felt as though you lost touch with the DCU, JB. It seemed grounded throughout.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

Your original thread title was correct, btw. GENERATIONS was most assuredly not an "Elseworld," despite DC insisting on sticking that bullet on the cover -- without asking me, of course.
May I ask why this isn't an Elseworld story? I had the impression that "Imaginary Stories" and "Elseworld" stories were just stories out of continuity. Are there some reasons why "Generations" doesn't fit with this label?
(I absolutely love G1 and G2, by the way; I haven't read G3 yet)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

GENERATIONS has no overall continuity thread -- deliberately so. Like the comics of the time periods the series reflected there was no real connection between the chapters. Thus, in 1939 Superman could not fly, but ten years earlier Superboy could.

This is not to say there were not certain character arcs that run between chapters -- the story of Joel Kent, for instance -- but these were not intended to create a "parallel universe," as was the point of ElseWorlds. Unfortunately various people at DC seemed intent on ignoring my intent, even to referencing GENERATIONS in other titles.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

I guess I missed that out of the Elseworld line back then.  I thought the point was that they were all to be imaginary worlds as there were no parallel universes after Crisis, at least till that whole Hypertime thing started, which I didn't really understand. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

GENERATIONS has no overall continuity thread -- deliberately so. Like the comics of the time periods the series reflected there was no real connection between the chapters. Thus, in 1939 Superman could not fly, but ten years earlier Superboy could.
Which I thought was brilliant. Seems a few people didn't quite get it. 

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 10  

For comic fans of the good old days, I wish Marvel would create a title called Marvel Untold similar to Marvel Fanfare. The concept would be let legendary creators return to Marvel and do whatever story they want. The creator would write a intro talking about why he's always wanted to do this story and where it falls in the title's timeline for example this story happens right between X-Men 124 and 125. It could be a 1 issue or 6 issues whatever it takes to tell the story. Byrne on the X-Men, Frank Miller on Daredevil, Simonson on Thor, but not today's version, it would be whatever point of the character's timeline they wanted to jump in on.  JB's X-Men Hidden Years was kinda like this, but this title would not be tied to a particular character or team. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

Let legendary creators like Frank Miller, Walt Simonson & JB return to Marvel and do whatever story they want??? That's crazy talk!!!!*

(*tho' I'd buy those books in a second!)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

Back when Marvel Knights was happening I suggested us old timers should get together as the Marvel Kings!!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version