Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Generations and "Elseworlds" series (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

Seriously, why WOULDN'T a company at least TRY to pull Byrne, Miller, and Simonson together for a prestige line where they could do whatever they wanted to do?  Drag in Perez, Starlin, Neal Adams, and Alan Davis for good measure too!
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 2  

A Marvel Kings book (or line of books) would be brilliant and make mucho dinero. But Marvel could never do it, because they couldn't edit the living hell out of these creators, and they couldn't afford to have a series of books where the creators were not under strict control. Or else the mainline talent might think they could do what they want.

In all seriousness, I could see the need for editing - but with a light touch. One does not become a "legend" without knowing what they're doing. A guiding hand, not a restrictive one.

On the gripping hand, I've never been an editor, so I've no idea for sure what happens between creators and editors.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 3  

But Marvel could never do it, because they couldn't edit the living hell
out of these creators, and they couldn't afford to have a series of books
where the creators were not under strict control. Or else the mainline
talent might think they could do what they want.

-----

What are you talking about? Have you read a modern Marvel book? I'm
convinced that the job description for Editor reads, "Defend your
creators on Twitter. Discover what your creators did in your books
through Twitter." There's no actual editing going on.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Mr. Roberts - nope, I haven' read a modern Marvel book. Is the cart pulling the horse now? Because then, I know which end of the comic I'm looking at in passing...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 5  

On the gripping hand, I've never been an editor, so I've no idea for sure what happens between creators and editors.

••

Ideally, the editor hires the talent s/he thinks can do the job and then steps back to let them do it.

Sadly, there are many editors who think they are the real creative force behind the books -- something which may have been true fifty years ago, but not any more. These latter editors treat the work turned in as raw material, often making sweeping changes without consulting the talent.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6  

I'd like to know where the editors were back during that period when so many books were shipping VERY late, i.e. ALL-STAR BATMAN releasing just one issue in the whole of 2006.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 7  

I'd like to know where the editors were back during that period when so many books were shipping VERY late, i.e. ALL-STAR BATMAN releasing just one issue in the whole of 2006.

••

The editors were being told to leave the rock stars alone.

I wondered more about the bean counters. "So, this issue made $$$, but we only publish one a year when there are supposed to be 12? Like, 12x$$$!!"

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8  

Keep an eye on continuity and protect the brand...hell, I'd do that for free!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm as responsible as anyone for thread drift (sorry), but if I may return to GENERATIONS.

That work, like much of the work by our host, is, in my view, very accessible to 'civilians'. I feel I could hand over GENERATIONS or any number of Superman issues and they'd be appreciated by those who have only a cursory knowledge of the characters.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Didn't the ELSEWORLDS line have an opening that read something like "...heroes are taken from their regular settings and put into strange times and places--some that have existed or might have existed and others that can't, couldn't or shouldn't exist..."

That last part sounds like the very definition of "Imaginary Stories."  Of course, the first part also sounds like the definition of parallel worlds--a ridiculous concept to explore RIGHT AFTER you've destroyed your Multiverse!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

Didn't the ELSEWORLDS line have an opening that read something like "...heroes are taken from their regular settings and put into strange times and places--some that have existed or might have existed and others that can't, couldn't or shouldn't exist..."

That last part sounds like the very definition of "Imaginary Stories." Of course, the first part also sounds like the definition of parallel worlds--a ridiculous concept to explore RIGHT AFTER you've destroyed your Multiverse!

••

You're working too hard at not getting this.

ElseWorlds, whatever else they might be, were stories with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

GENERATIONS had a beginning, then another beginning, then a middle, then an end, then another end, then a beginning --- just like the comics themselves.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Exactly. Generations was a first a ripping good tale. Second, if you were so way inclined, it reflected (sort of) DC publication history.

It was fun and sort of brilliant.

And Generations II did the same trick again in a kind of deliriously brilliant fashion. 

I never got my hands on Generations III, but I would love to -- and I imagine the riff could have gone on for several different iterations.

More than anything, it captured that old school magic of the different eras. Something to be cherished, but not obsessed over.

I think that defines 90% of every comic that's worth it's salt. And I'm not sure the industry thrives on a percentage any lower than that.

There comes the occasional comic that IS so important it sends ripples through the history of comics.... But perhaps the more important ones are those that keep the level of fun and wonder going without ruffling any feathers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version