Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The End of the World? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

Robbie Parry wrote:
Dark and unpredictable times. But I'm sure they were having these sorts of conversations on the JBF back in the 1940s, 1930s, etc. ;)

Those were rough times - we had to hike uphill 10 miles, both ways, in the driving snow, just to pin a note card on a bulletin board.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

Heinlein talked about "the crazy years" back in the late 40's.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Peter Martin,,,Common Market,EEC,EU i`ve known it by so many names it`s easy to slip up!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Clinton will win. The 'Bernie or Nobody' crowd will listen to Sanders and turn out for Hilary.They HAVE to, if they don't want Trump to win. That won't solve the more immediate problem of violence, but it will put an end to the waking nightmare that is the Trump campaign.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why are so many folk convinced Trump won't win? Please pass your optimism to me because I fear him winning.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Listen to American  reporting, instead of just the 'doom and gloom' UK coverage,and you'll get a different perspective.
Of course, next week's Democratic Convention will make Hilary look as 'unbeatable' as they're saying Trump is this week.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I don't get access to US news stations so am pretty much reliant on the likes of BBC. ;)

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh, well, the BBC's world ended when other TV channels started.;-)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 9  

Robbie Perry - I'm not a political scientists or any kind of expert, but I get the impression that in the current election here in the US, so many people are voting more on who they dislike the least.

A certain group feel certain that Donald Trump won't win because he presents nothing to vote FOR - only things to vote against. He makes foolish statements, he changes his answers and attitudes almost by the hour, and he is very thin skinned and easily offended - not good traits for a president. He seems unknowledgable of world affairs and doesn't seem to want to consult anyone to get any smarter on them; he appears to feel that his instincts will suffice to handle all such matters, domestic and international. And from his speech on Thursday night at the RNC, he appears to be a fear monger, just scaring people and getting them to vote for him on an emotional basis, rather than an intelligent one.

Another group - the Trump supporters and probable voters - are very frustrated, angered, and despairing. They feel that the nature of the American government and presidency have acted against them, and that they have no recourse. They feel that terrorism committed both in the US and on foreign soil is an epidemic that is worsening, and that they are not safe in their own homes. They feel that crime is on a rise, jobs are on a decline, and their lives are not protected by the government. Donald Trump has stated that he is not a politician and will not follow the path of "business as usual"; that he understands the plight of the common man, he understands the nature of economics, and that he is dedicated to using his knowledge and experience to make things safer, reliable, and successful for them.

I personally think that Mr. Trump is just talking a good game and cannot (or will not) back it up - but a LOT of people are looking for some kind, any kind, of reassurance, and he's offering it. There are people who respond well to the emotional persuasion, and who don't invest the time to do cold, hard, critical thinking. Right or wrong, these are the people who will vote for Donald Trump, and it is becoming a concern that Clinton supporters will either ignore this, or will take for granted that Clinton is a shoo-in to all "right thinking people."

Of course, there's much more to it than this simple analysis, but that's how I feel it is at a basic level. Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Eric,it`s the same here in the U.K. our main political parties are so disconnected from the average guy in the street,that choosing which one to vote for is like voting for a kick in the left nut,the right nut or both nuts simultaneously,either way,it`s going to hurt,scary times!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm so old, I can remember when mouth-breathing, inbred f**ktards DIDN'T vote.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, Eric, appreciate all that. Makes sense. Thanks for sharing that.

I can certainly understand emotions taking over logic. Way of the political world at times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version