Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Wow Moments (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Alpha Flight #12 all day.

Mac was the first person I cared about in life that died.  
Knew him less than a year, too...
The following issues with Puck and the team dealing with Heather were an encyclopedia full of Life Lessons for this 14 yr old pimply teen.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't have a single panel answer.

But Frank's Dark Knight Returns stirred my juices in a new way, shall we say.

JB had laid some paving stones for this.

Up until that issue when Batman met Superman in the MOS limited series, I was saddled with the Adam West version.

JB showed me that the character had more intrigue and excitement than that. 

Frank took it to dizzying levels.

And it changed everything.

Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Remember that time when Magneto was on his asteroid base, and a picture of his beloved Magda came up? And you thunk to yourself, "hey, wait a minute, she looks an awful lot like..." And then that audible click in your head as things fell into place, and you realized how absolutely PERFECTLY it all fit together?

That moment definitely changed my comic-reading experience. I was being let in on a secret without being explicitly told what conclusion I was supposed to reach. It brought a new level of sophistication in these books to light, and I spent a lot more time scrutinizing the back-issue collection from that point on.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Good one, Ray.

Along those lines, seeing Reed and Sue shoo Johnny out of the bedroom during their trip to the Negative Zone had that "wait a minnit here..." kind of impact on my young mind.

Another impactful small moment was seeing Daredevil and Spider-Man watch the Avengers and Fantastic Four try to fight Galactus. I'd never seen such well-done establishment of how these guys would all fit together. So many other writers would have Spidey swing in and ask "what can I do?" What a chilling difference to have Daredevil (I think) say "God help us if they ever actually need our help."

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 5  

JLA/Avengers #4. When the combined team disembarks and all call out, "Avengers Assemble!" I get chills every time I see that panel.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 6  

Aldus Hilltop's declaration in JBNM #30
Guardian's death in ALPHA FLIGHT #12
Sue's miscarriage in FANTASTIC FOUR #267

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Since Wallace started with JD and ARMAGEDDON WARS...

---

I think you meant William, James.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

I do indeed, sorry William.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
JB - Ah, the Thrill of the Hunt! Such an important party of reading comics until the DSM industrialized the marketplace
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
Yes, something lost with the DSM, trade paperbacks and especially digital availability now
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

The splash page at the end of the first part of 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow' with Superman all alone, (except for Krypto) crying over seeing Supergirl through some time travel after she already been killed. That was brutal, and really affected me. (As did the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel, as my mother had recently passed away of cancer too. So seeing it in a comic book was tough.)

I do remember also being very VERY shocked at Fantastic Four's #285 'Hero.' The subject matter of what happened to the kid Tommy and most especially how the incident occured, was more that what I'd ever expected to see in a comic book story.

I imagine if I'd read the Death of Gwen Stacey comic before I knew what happened to her, that would have knocked me for six. But alas I read it in the Marvel tales reprint, and thus knew all about it beforehand.

On more positive notes, the almost all splash pages of Thor #380 with the big confrontation with the Midgard Serpent blew me away, and when first reading the Dark Knight Returns I almost shouted with joy at the funeral scene where Clark discovers Bruce isn't dead after all.
And going back to when I was a kid, seeing an advertisement for the second Superman Spiderman crossover pretty much took my breath away. As at the time I never even knew there had been any Marvel DC crossovers..

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

When I started out liking Beta Ray Bill --even though in my young mind I thought I wasn't supposed to because he beat Thor.

This inner contradiction was a cool "wow" moment as the issues kept coming and I realized my instinct to like Bill was correct.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11  

• "He stood alone at Gjallerbru."  That whole page is just brilliant.
  • When Jazz was in the shower and said "I just can't make this real."  What's it feel like to bounce from a sort of "Communal Solipsism" to the Real World, to being essentially gaslighted?
  • I still get a chuckle when The Silver Surfer starts his fight with Tyros by grabbing his beard!  That's a smackdown!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 12  

"It's been a while since I read this story, so...what was the biggest hint that you dropped? In retrospect, it's a head-smacker for sure, but I might have missed it as well. (I probably did--I wanted Mac back!)"

---

The hint was "Mac" teleporting the moment the explosion took place during Courtney's explanation in AF#25, even though we clearly see his body burning to the ground in AF#12 (even eeking out a weak "Heather..." on the way down). 

I noticed the discrepancy when I was 12 and AF#25 first came out, but since I was happy to see Mac back, I didn't care.

This does give me a question which I don't recall has been answered before: How did Courtney even know that Heather walked in on Mac as the pack was about to explode, leading to his demise? They were the only two in the room when it happened (Jaxon was already dead).

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version