Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Talk About Lowering Standards (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Rather than start a new topic, I will share this podcast here, it may, in a certain way, pertain to some stuff we've discussed here:

Comics aren't accessible to newcomers. Worth a listen. As one comment stated, you may enjoy an AVENGERS film on the big screen, but get confused when you pick up a book and see multiple Captain Americas running around.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 2  

As one comment stated, you may enjoy an AVENGERS film on the big screen, but get confused when you pick up a book and see multiple Captain Americas running around.

••

Whether it's comics, books, plays, old TV shows, or whatever, this is my main reason for insisting on fidelity to the source material. What's the point of letting Mr. Director create his own "vision" of the characters? How does that help sell comics?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 3  

I cannot imagine it happening elsewhere.

A UK comic/magazine, LOOK-IN, ran from the 70s until 1994. It featured licensed cartoon strips of UK/US shows at the time, i.e. DUKES OF HAZZARD, AIRWOLF, SPACE: 1999. Remarkably true to the spirit of the shows, etc. 

I bought that magazine because of the strips. I was enjoying, say, SPACE: 1999 or DUKES OF HAZZARD on TV - and there was a comic/magazine adapting those strips and being true to the source. It would not have been appealing to pick up that comic and find something vastly different.

Example:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 4  

It's important to note that when comics adapt movies or TV shows, the producers invariably insist on ABSOLUTE FIDELITY.

Apparently the "rules" work in only one direction.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5  

Very true.

I had a DC issue of STAR TREK years ago. Can't recall the exact "conversation" in the letters page, but editor said something like, "We have to play by Mr Roddenberry's rules." I think someone had asked why a certain arc couldn't be done.

I've come across it at other times, too. And I respect it. Just a shame it can't be a two-way street.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 6  

Rather than create a new topic, I thought it might be prudent to post here.

With some exceptions, I'm struggling to work out the point of monthly comics. I picked some up again over the last fortnight; and these issues (first issues) were nothing more than a warm-up. It left me wondering why.

I want to support the monthly comics. I don't think any title will survive if everyone decides to wait for the TPB. I'm seeing little incentive, though. Unlike first issues years ago - i.e. SUPERMAN VOL. 2 #1 - every issue I picked up felt like a warm-up. I didn't feel like I'd got value for money.

I'm sorry to be negative. Can't fault the art or writing, it just felt, well I know it's not the same, but I believe each entry in a film franchise should stand alone. I don't think a film franchise should have entries which feel like a "warm-up". Whilst you will gain more from watching all the BOURNE films, each one should still stand alone and be enjoyable in its own right.

I don't know, I am probably being too harsh. I never had an issue with occasional "To be continued..." stories, it's just that the first issues I paid for featured stories which, decades ago, would have been free inserts in existing titles. It's hard to work out what the incentive is.

EDIT: There have been and are first issues recently that the above does NOT apply to.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 03 October 2016 at 11:34am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Robbie Parry wrote:
With some exceptions, I'm struggling to work out the point of monthly comics

Acknowledging up front that I agree with your specific concerns*, asking that question is like asking if there's a point to following a TV series weekly instead of just waiting for the DVDs/Netflix/what have you.     

*Particularly the first issues who think teasing the series premise makes for an effective first issue cliffhanger.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

I understand what you mean.

It did seem different years ago because even with, say, a six-issue mini-series, an issue in itself provided much bang for your buck. It's like now you have a first issue and it's something like, "Meet the characters, lots of talking, here's your mission - see you next month."

I won't name names so as to not prejudice the views of those who may have picked up a recent comic, but it felt like an insert. I remember the BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS insert in an old Batman comic. A teaser. Very effective, though. And as it was a free insert, not a problem. But the comic I read today (which was released last week, actually), it felt like a teaser, the sort of story that would have been an insert 25 or 30 years ago.

It cost me under four quid. Fine. You pay your money, you take your chances. Not a problem. But I was disappointed.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 9  

One of the best insert adverts in a comic that I have seen was the Ronin one. Just enough of a tease but nothing given away and then that killer strapline 'If you intend to die, you can do anything'.

I had to buy that book.

With regards to fidelity to source material, obviously, the source is the main character at creation. There have clearly been tweaks along the way. But. Right now, the Marvel movies are way closer to the source material than the comic versions are.

Tony Stark is an inventor who is the son of Howard Stark (and is not adopted)
Steve Rogers is Captain America
Peter Parker is a school kid
Bruce Banner is the Hulk
Etc

There are quirks in origins, the costumes look tweaked (but it has been that way since the '70's) but I do feel that the soul of the characters are there. Or rather, enough of their soul that they are as close to the original characters as the characters in the '80's were.

Edited to add: Let's not forget that there were some really stupid stories in the early days of characters as well - Spider-Man shooting a web to snag a returning space capsule being my prime example of such

Edited by James Woodcock on 04 October 2016 at 1:13am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 10  

The sad thing is,for the price of 2 Marvel monthly comics,i can subscribe to Netflix for a month...which one provides the most entertainment and value?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Bill, for the price of two Marvel comics a month, I have subscribed to Marvel Unlimited. I don't want to sound like an advert to that service but my word! 17,000 Marvel comics for £7 a month. No brainier for me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 12  

The sad thing is,for the price of 2 Marvel monthly comics,i can subscribe to Netflix for a month...which one provides the most entertainment and value?

••

But NetFlix does not afford your the privilege of buying MARVEL COMICS!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version