Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Because no one can do NEW.

••

I'm sure no one WANTS to do "new." I see in all this the same stupid noise I used to hear when I was just starting in the Biz, when talentless hacks would declare they were not going to "give Marvel the next Spider-Man."

Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Many of today's fans want that point-of-view character. I had a conversation with someone who told me that the reason I can't relate to needing a POV character is that I'm a white male and that there are so many of them. I understand that some of Spider-Man's appeal is that he was a teenager who had a tough life  but can only blind lawyers relate to Daredevil? Did I have to be an African American with steel skin or a white, millionaire who grew up in a hidden society learning martial arts to relate to Power Man and Iron Fist*?  The adventure and fun with characters that you care about no matter your race, religion, or gender are what are important to me in comics. 

Many also feel that the reason that you have to make Sam Wilson Captain America or Jane Foster Thor is that no one will care about an original non-white male character. I like how Bill Foster eventually became Goliath, he was a character who gained a superhero identity that wasn't being used at the time. He was used sparingly over the years but had potential to build on and what does Marvel do with him? Makes him cannon fodder so that Mark Millar can advance his Civil War plot. 

*Power Man and Iron Fist is a good example of how different Marvel is nowadays. The most well known stories of that book were written by a woman and an African American male. Nowadays, Marvel would be falling all over themselves announcing such news to the public. Those press announcements make the efforts seem less sincere to me.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 01 December 2016 at 7:34am

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 3  

"Many of today's fans want that point-of-view character. I had a conversation with someone who told me that the reason I can't relate to needing a POV character is that I'm a white male and that there are so many of them." 

I wrote a lot, unintentionally. I didn't realize how important this was to me till I finished.  Thank you for reading...

I had a similar conversation with a black friend years ago because I thought very much the same way. So let me try to share a bit of that conversation. Imagine if there was so little of your own culture available that you could relate to. For instance, imagine if nearly every channel on TV were BET and there was really only one channel where you could find characters similar to yourself. This was part of a conversation I had with someone I worked with years ago. We traveled the country and whenever we went to dinner, he had to sit with his back away from the door. This was the beginning of the conversation as I finally asked. We talked about how I have had someone walk into a bar and mess with me just because the person was drunk. It has happened and it was an awful experience. I don't think anyone would disagree. He asked me to think about that happening multiple times, over and over. At what point would you ask yourself why it was happening so often to you? And how many times would it have to happen before you would have to sit facing the door every time you went someplace too? 

It is very easy for me to think and feel that the rest of the world should just "get it". I like something because of the adventure and fun, you're right, and that should be universal. I can relate to adventure and fun for any race of character, because I have no reason not to. But I am safer in my racial majority standing. My friends have described their experience as looking through a window. They can see something is adventuresome and fun. They can enjoy it. But they could enjoy it even more if there were more opportunities on their side of that glass.

I am a 42 year old, white, married, bisexual male.  I can announce that here because I am safe behind a computer screen. In my life, I drop the "bi" part, because it is safer to do so. The impact would extend not just to me, and my professional life, but the judgments would impact my wife and my children.  So, I do like seeing more LGBT characters. Would I like to see more LGBT characters created from scratch...yes.  But I also completely understand how that won't happen anytime soon. Not enough of the majority readership will care to support such a character. That is why I feel it is completely okay to retcon  the history of a Bobby Drake. He is fictional.  And should one real teenager picking up All-New X-Men discover that he likes this gay Bobby Drake, and that Iceman isn't just enjoyable in spite of being gay, nor that he is enjoyable and he is gay, but that he is enjoyable because he is gay, and that somebody else in his school is LGBT and that makes them who they are and that is important, then that one single perception change of a real person is far more important than a historical change of a fictional one. 

I get that there is a white, male teen who is bummed because the history of a favorite white, male character has been changed. I don't really care.  Because white, male characters are a dime a dozen and he will find another a lot faster than someone needing a gay role model.

And wow, I'm very sorry that turned into a big rant. I'm not trying to suggest the kid, or anyone who is bummed about the change in a loved character, is racist, homophobic, or anything else. I promise I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong. I don't tend to reveal that much about myself.  I guess I had a need for someone to "hear". So thank you for letting me. I can't tell you how I appreciate that. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 4  

I get that there is a white, male teen who is bummed because the history of a favorite white, male character has been changed. I don't really care.  Because white, male characters are a dime a dozen and he will find another a lot faster than someone needing a gay role model.
-------------------------------------------------------
I don't think this is what's behind people's disagreement with this Iceman retcon.  Even beyond just changing something fundamental to the character, the author of his first solo series has said that said series is going to focus on his sexuality, in that, as the author says, this change doesn't just make Bobby gay, it means that he's been lying to everyone including himself about his sexuality since 1963.  And they plan to make that a plot point.  The writer talked about how much they relish having his old love interests come back and confront him about having been 'his beard'.  Some of us are upset that 1) such a massive retcon has happened to stories we've been reading for 50 years and 2) that the fundamental nature of the stories the character will appear in has now changed.  On the latter point, if they were changing Bobby from a happy-go-lucky, unlucky at love straight character to a happy-go-lucky, unlucky at love gay character, I'd find it far more palatable going forward.  But they're not, they're changing a happy-go-lucky, unlucky at love character into a deeply troubled, deeply closeted gay man and focusing their storytelling on those dynamics.  Its the change that's the problem, not the particular nature of the change.  If they had retconned him into a right-wing Republican, or an evangelical Christian, and changed continuity that way, and chose to focus his stories going forward on those particular elements, I would be equally opposed to it.

And I disagree that new LGBT characters can't find an audience. I've enjoyed the current Batwoman's series, and feel she's a popular character who has been embraced by readers.  I'm reading Midnighter and Apollo right now and enjoying it, and I think that mini-series gives a good example of writing LGBT characters the right way.  Its a superhero story about two superheroes who are in love.  You could tell a very similar story with Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor, or Mister Miracle and Big Barda, or other characters.  They're telling a good story about two characters, and not resorting to the tokenism that people in this thread have been opposed to.

Edited by Steve De Young on 01 December 2016 at 10:05am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 5  

And when did every current comic book into "True Romance Comics"? Yes, sometimes it's a nice plot device - but it doesn't have to be, any more than being an orphan works nicely, but isn't necessary.

But I'm not sure a romantic non-lead partner has often been so significant to a character that the story actually regularly revolved around them. Lois Lane, Black Widow, maybe Silver St. Cloud... but for the most part, a character is married or involved, and so what? As Stan and Roy used to say - "Enough lonely hearts! Let's get to where the action is!"

Until Marvel releases "Gay Comics", I don't really care about a character's sexuality... unless it's suddenly flip-flopped for no good reason.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

According to this article, this is "proof" that Iceman was trying to come out in the past.

https://www.tor.com/2015/04/23/iceman-gay-coming-out/

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's probably a bit politically incorrect for me to admit this, but with no Fantastic Four and the Avengers being virtually unrecognisable these days I think it's a nice change to have an old team back in the universe once more. Heck arguably two. As the other is closer to the 'All new X-Men' of the 70es/80es than the team has been in some time. (Though I wish it was regular Logan.)

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

*Power Man and Iron Fist is a good example of how different Marvel is nowadays. The most well known stories of that book were written by a woman and an African American male. Nowadays, Marvel would be falling all over themselves announcing such news to the public. Those press announcements make the efforts seem less sincere to me.

Marvel didn't announce that Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze are black in their announcement of the Black Panther series, and they didn't announce that Sina Grace is gay in their announcement of the new Iceman series, and I don't recall them going out of their way to announce when women were writing new books for them, either. I know that G. Willow Wilson has discussed her Muslim faith in interviews when talking about Ms. Marvel, but I'd hardly chalk these up as cheap publicity stunts. Reaching out to new talent is a good thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Check any comic book site and you will find that information. I don't consider it a "cheap publicity stunt" so much as it's, once again, taking the focus away from the comics and putting it on who is working on them.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 06 December 2016 at 10:23am

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't consider it a "cheap publicity stunt" so much as it's, once again, taking the focus away from the comics and putting it on who is working on them.

Publishers have been marketing stars almost as long as they've been printing comics. Look back at Sidney Smith on The Gumps, or Milton Caniff or Al Capp, or E.C. Comics putting artist's signatures on splash pages and covers, or Stan Lee touting his contributions to any given issue... Unless you're 130 years old, that's not a real complaint.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's totally a real complaint. What happens when the star who is being marketed leaves the book? 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 06 December 2016 at 4:14pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

Shawn Kane wrote:

I'll give you Owsley, but the reason why Jo Duffy went by "Mary Jo Duffy" for awhile was because TPTW wanted to make it obvious they had a woman writing for them.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version