Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 1  

i think I can suggest a reason why JB's leaving the X-Men was seen in such a negative light.

It was so close to the issue when Jean Grey was killed.

I think the micro-brains that went nuts saw it as 'I've killed her, I might as well leave. There you go, you sort it out'. They just mixed those two things together and vented. Wrongly,  but there you go.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2  

There is a sizable strata of fans/readers who do not understand the "behind the scenes" production elements. Many who think, for instance, that the books are finished mere minutes before they hit the stands. (When I was working on FF there was one letterhack who would write often to complain about some "mistake" I was making in the latest issue, then write again the next month to say he was pleased to see I followed his advice and "fixed" my error. He had no idea, apparently, that I had finished both those issues months before he saw them, and that the "mistake" and the "fix" were both part of my original tale.)

But since the death of Phoenix happened in X-MEN 137, and my departure came with 143, I kinda doubt anybody would be inclined to think the two were connected.

Back to Top profile | search

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 3  

JB, when you say that "for some it was a personal betrayal"... Are you talking about comic creators/partners or comic readers? Or both?

In any case, I don't understand why a partner or a reader should feel that way. "Days of future past" was a great swang song for the run. If the X-Men series had ended with that story, we still would have a great and finite run (like the mangas). It seemed the logical moment for you or anyone involved to move to other series.

Note: I know we have the Kitty X-Mas issue after DoFP.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Note: I know we have the Kitty X-Mas issue after DoFP.

That is one of my all-time favorite issues. 

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 15 December 2016 at 10:06am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 5  

I admit that I felt betrayed, hurt, angry when Byrne left the X-men!!  But I was a lot younger back then and it felt like a death in my family. :(  It's funny how you can grow so attached to a comic book and the creators involved.

The FF has always been my favorite comic book so when Byrne moved over to that title all of my frustrations subsided & everything was right with the world again. :)  Although I do remember thinking at the time "why can't he do both books"?

And Ariel Justel, when you say things like people here are kissing JB's ass, well...of course, we love him, that is why we are here!  Nothing wrong with some well deserved ass kissing IMO.  Although I prefer the term WORSHIP!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6  

…when you say things like people here are kissing JB's ass, well...of course, we love him, that is why we are here! Nothing wrong with some well deserved ass kissing IMO. Although I prefer the term WORSHIP!

••

I prefer "admiration"!!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 7  

It's hardly improbable that some posts by some posters in some threads are a matter of apple-polishing. So what? Anybody who thinks JB maintains this website seeking sycophants either has never read nor understood essentially everything JB has ever posted herein.

In any event, excepting internet trolls, members are here, ultimately, because they are fans, so primarily positive statements, even if effusive, shouldn't be surprising.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't remember being hurt or feeling "betrayed" when JB left the X-Men.  With Dave Cockrum coming back (inked by the incredible Joe Rubinstein, let's not forget), X-Men was still good, but now Fantastic Four would be GREAT!

But then I've always been of the mind that all the great teams/solo artists should switch around on the titles every two years or so.  Still would love to see two years worth of Frank Miller on Dr. Strange!  And then I'll take two years of Jim Starlin there too!  And P. Craig Russell, and I'll even go for Howard Chaykin's version!  But two years of Byrne on Dr. Strange would have been amazing!  And two years of Byrne on Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, back on the Hulk...

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 9  

Damn!  I actually said "admiration" first and then deleted it in favor of "worship".  But that's ok, since I do not believe in God I may as well worship an earthbound entity with the gift of artistic genius. Hey, I am kissing butt again! :)

Edited by Jeff Scott on 15 December 2016 at 10:58am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 10  

I admire JB's many achievements in comic book storytelling as writer and as artist, and feel that he continues to find new ways both to explore the medium and exercise his prodigious talents.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

I discovered the X-Men rather late (issue #138) and immediately jumped on the Byrne Bandwagon (I should probably copyright that term) :-)

Unfortunately, our host departed the book soon afterward and I was left temporarily adrift. Then I rediscovered the FF with Mr. Byrne at the helm and saw how truly enjoyable a monthly comic book could be. Up until that point I only purchased comics sporadically. But the adventures of Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben and (later) Jen as crafted by Mr. Byrne were so good that I was saving my allowance to make sure I could attack the spinner rack each month. 

In the years that followed, I would manage to pick up the back issues of X-Men during the Claremont/Byrne run. And I certainly think that they are worthy of all the praise that has been heaped on them. But it was the Fantastic Four that cemented our host as a writer/artist that I would follow and collect for the next three decades.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

Byrne was long gone from the book when I first started collecting X-Men (it was in the 180's at the time) so I never experienced it firsthand at the time.

While I certainly don't like it when my favorite creators leave books I enjoy, I don't hold it against them for leaving. There are many reasons why creative line ups change and to hold it against them for doing so is childish.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version