Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Will Change The Comics Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 1  

Damn, Greg. I feel kinda bad for your ex-wife. 
++++++++

I should probably clarify that I do not literally have a crack-whore ex-wife. Just the "wife" which was once Marvel!

And, really, is it not like a marriage, for all of us fans? Many years of time, money, and energy invested in being a fan of the material and the characters. Countless intimate hours and moments spent with the characters and their world. It's like being in a relationship where your partner suddenly turns into a total stranger and flies off the rails. You have to leave to save yourself, and it's painful to watch them self-destruct.

Yeah, these may just be funnybooks, but they're important to us, aren't they? They've meant something to us. They've had an impact on our lives.

I still buy and read Marvel books regularly. They're just all back issues from decades ago. Of which there are plenty to explore. Why waste time, money, and energy on products I know I won't enjoy? To keep the analogy going, it's like I've abandoned the unstable young crack-whore, and have instead sought out the older, more mature, more sophisticated ladies to date. 

Been having a great time reading FANTASTIC FOUR from the very beginning. Been filling holes in my AVENGERS collection. Have 30 years worth of Spider-Man books to read. Etc., etc. Way more fun and way less annoying than whining helplessly about Marvel's latest pathetic stunts. I actually enjoy what I'm reading, since the focus is on story and characters, instead of knocking over the applecart with every issue.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Greg i totally agree!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 3  

WOW... I was just browsing thru those Marvel Legacy covers.... some of them look HORRIBLE... right down to the lazy attempt at getting the classic cover 'dressing' accurate!!!! What's wrong with these guys!?!?!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 27 June 2017 at 11:21am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 4  

Cover DRESS.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel is apparently having a conference call later this week to do damage control with the comic store retailers. After the "big announcement" last week, some readers showed up at their LHS and cancelled everything on their Marvel pull list. Because nothing is changing at all.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Where did you hear or read that Peter?

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

There are some nice covers, though. Well, I like the ones for Iron Fist and the Avengers, at least. Not the best batting percentage!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel continues to copy DC--even in DC's mistakes.

Going all the way back to the supposed story of the success of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA inspiring Marvel to create their own super-team in FANTASTIC FOUR (or did CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN inspire FF and the JLA inspired AVENGERS?), Marvel has followed the lead of DC--even though Marvel seemed to be AHEAD of DC in so many ways.

I remember Marvel (was it Joe Quesada?) saying that they would NEVER do their own CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, but they did throw in the caveat "But if we did, it would be better"--and so, of course, they finally did their own multiverse-destroying, universe-merging "epic" recently--even though they had 30 years to view the damage DC's CRISIS ended up doing.  (They also said they would never cancel FANTASTIC FOUR, so we see how much Marvel's head honchos' words are to be trusted.)

Now, Marvel is doing some "epic" with their "legacy" heroes--something much more at home as DC, with their countless "legacy" heroes.  In fact, Making Alex Ross' vision of DC's future (KINGDOM COME) version of the DC universe become a reality in present-day was a major thrust of DC's JSA series (which thrust Geoff Johns into the spotlight), not to mention the years spent with Wally West as the Flash or other attempts to replace their "old guard" heroes with the likes of Connor Hawke, Red Arrow, Kyle Rayner, Kendra Saunders, etc.

Marvel's LEGACY seems so forced and shoehorned in, with the "new" versions of girl Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, the "awesome" Hulk, female Thor, female Captain Marvel, Falcon Cap, and whoever else mostly happened in just the last couple of years.  No  wonder people are cancelling their orders--they know shallow sales ploys when they see them (at least now they do, after the Big Two have given them so much practice!).

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

I like how JB gets the credit for an all Terry Austin cover. These fan writers sure know the subject matter. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

I like how JB gets the credit for an all Terry Austin cover. These fan writers sure know the subject matter.

••

I've been pointing out that was Terry's cover almost since the day it was first published!

ARGH!!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 11  

Wait, those "homage" covers are REAL???? I thought they were just .GIF gags!

Pygmies standing on the shoulders of giants... and at that, ONLY the covers? What the ever-lovin' heck? Do they not understand that not only have they lost me, but I AM NOT THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE?!?!?

They're up to their waists in freezing water, and they think it's time to start blowing up inflatable Mae Wests...

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 12  

Repacking nostalgia isn't industry changing, it's just another attempt to bolster sales without looking at the real problem.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version