Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Will Change The Comics Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 1  

`Marvel will change the comics industry`...and not for
the better!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Okay, show of hands now - who thought this was ANYTHING that was realistic?

Hell, even if TPTB at Marvel WANTED to go back to that older style - what creators could they get to do it? Yes, Mr. Byrne, Roy Thomas, Walt Simonson, Roger Stern, maybe Mark Waid, and a small handful of others are still around. Messrs. Byrne, Miller, Simonson, Perez, Buscema, et. al. yet inhabit the mortal coil.

But how many of them are still capable? How many of them would DARE to go back to Marvel to try to restore them? Marvel comics is in its second or third generation of the blind leading the blind; they don't KNOW how to make what I think of as good comics anymore. Stop making events, stop making the comics about the creators, stop going for gimmicks... nobody knows how to do it anymore.

And that's without considering that the money men would NEVER allow Marvel comics to go off model of the TRUE income source... the movies.

In the end, I think this will be a clever and imaginative rearranging of the deck chairs to a formation that was extant just as the ship started sinking. But that's all, and entropy always increases.

Mr. Byrne once described the scenario in which Marvel might have obtained Superman. I'm wondering when we're going to see the first DC edition of Fantastic Four. :(
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 3  

Saddest part is, those are the best, most interesting covers I've seen on a Marvel book in decades.  If I didn't know they were simply recreations, anyway.

Edit: okay, maybe that's not the saddest part of the whole thing.  But it's still pretty sad.

Edited by Craig Bogart on 24 June 2017 at 9:33am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 4  

`Marvel will change the comics industry`...and not for the better!

••

Reminds me of when people used to say "Marvel wants to be Hollywood in the worst way -- and they are!"

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

I always try to hope for the best. But, until you remove
the Editor-in-chief and a few editors and writers that
have become stale writing the same characters for too
long, there will be no real change. How a company takes
this big of a dip in sales and market share without firing
the publisher and editor-in-chief is beyond my reasoning.
Whether it is a division of my company that is large or
small, when your main competition passes you and stays
there for the second time in your tenure and prior hadn't
been done in a looong time, the captain of that ship
walks the plank.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

As I said in another thread, Marvel needs a serious top down barnacle scraping. the President. The VPs, the CCO, the EIC, the Editors and the Publishers all need to be shown the door. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

This is Marvel in the Age of Trump. State the Big Lie, then not only stand by it, but expect it to be true!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Guys? It's over. It's been over for quite some time. The classic Marvel Comics spirit and characters are long since gone. Even if--IF--there was a legitimate course-correction, down the road, too much damage has been done. Too much has happened over too long a period of time. If you handed me a current issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, etc., I'm sure I would find the characters unrecognizable, be it artistically or in terms of their behavior, personalities, and speech patterns. 

For a good stretch of time, one could suspend disbelief and invest in the universe and the characters. The Spider-Man of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 100, 200, and 300 could all reasonably be viewed as the same character at different points in his history. Creative teams usually tried to keep characters on-model.

Times have changed. The 90s gutted the industry in more ways than one. Stunts and rock-star creators have taken over the industry. We never escaped the 90s. Worse, we now live in a remix culture. Artistic intent is dead. Creators pick and choose elements to embrace or discard like they're in a buffet line. No longer are those formative early stories of the 60s treated with respect or reverence. Indeed, they're instead treated as raw material to be exploited for the latest "shocking" stunts and events. 

At their best, the characters of Marvel felt like real people, with defined personalities and inner lives. Now, they're cogs in a corporate machine, serving the whims of writers, and as the R & D arm of the movie franchise. There are multiple versions of virtually every character, and no consistency whatsoever, be it among the creative teams, or between the print stories and the characters as they appear in licensed merchandise and other ancillaries and media. It's a Marvel Universe broken up into insane little fiefdoms. The House That Stan and Jack Built has been torn down and replaced with a brothel. 

For a few decades, Marvel presented readers with a wonderful cast of characters, and a pretty cohesive universe which added a layer of verisimilitude never seen before in the genre. But, nothing lasts forever. The comics may not yet be in their actual death throes, but, creatively, they've been dead and gone for quite some time. I stopped buying Marvel books in 2004, and I haven't looked back. 

(That last bit is a generalization, of course. I'm sure there's still quality work being produced, but the whole is certainly not greater than the sum of the parts, in this case.)

The metaphor I like to use is that Marvel is my ex-wife, and, even though I've moved on, I still feel bad that she's fallen on hard times and become a crack-whore and a prostitute living on skid row. But, there's nothing I can do. We had a good run, but it's over.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 June 2017 at 10:06pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 9  

^^^^^^^ This!

There is no other way to put it. 

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 10  

That metaphor fits.
What makes that situation worse is that we are all Facebook friends with the crack-whore ex-wife and we are constantly getting status updates on everything she does.

It's...painful to watch.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 11  

Damn, Greg. I feel kinda bad for your ex-wife. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 12  

Looking at the Legacy covers on Newsarama, it feels like Marvel isn't homaging their great heritage so much as parodying it. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version