Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Gender Bending Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, my real complaint about 'modern' Doctor Who is that the writing has not always been flattering to women. To guests and 'recurring' characters, yes(sometimes; 'Me', Missy, and River Sludge are massive exceptions), but not so much to the female companions, each of whom has been written in an increasingly fanboyish,'How can the Doctor, or the entire universe possibly survive without Rose/Martha/Donna/Amy/River/Clara 'Mary Sue' manner.Even Sarah, unfortunately, was not immune to that 'crushing on the Doctor syndrome'.
Bill, thankfully, came the closest to avoiding it, but her (apparent) departure from the series was a mess, simply for its unoriginality; the only difference was, there was no 'space diner' involved.
So...now that the show's protagonist is a woman...are we going to see scripts that treat the character(as well as the lead actress) with respect, or will it be more of the silly overacted, overwraught scenes which have spoiled many a promising episodes in  the last few years? Do they dare cast a male companion who will call the Doctor 'Clever Girl' every week?

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 22 July 2017 at 11:40am
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"There it is folks! Strapping some boobs on James Bond -- instead of creating a new, independent female character -- will save the World!"

Way to miss the point and actively demonstrate it's necessity at the same time. "Strapping some boobs on.." Classy!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"There it is folks! Strapping some boobs on James Bond -- instead of creating a new, independent female character -- will save the World!"

Way to miss the point and actively demonstrate it's necessity at the same time. "Strapping some boobs on.." Classy!

••

I thought the "point" was you condescendingly sneering at everyone who disagrees with you.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There are several incendiary remarks that always lead to escalation -
one of them is claiming anyone missed the point and another is the classic "you're better than that"

Opening volleys include "are you serious?" and "no offense" and any reference to being butt-hurt or in your feelings. lol

I say keep it respectful and accept differing opinions as exactly that- differing opinions. Other than that, it's the John Byrne forum. He's the Fantastic Four up in this piece.
He could clobber you with his rock-fisted army of advocates.
He could torch you with his witty...witticisms...
He can also turn you and your posts invisible.

So let's stretch a hand out and be cool.
Let's keep this forum fantastic!

Edited by Drew Spence on 22 July 2017 at 4:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I 'Reed' ya loud and clear, big-brain! It coulda 'Ben' worse, at least no 'Johnny' on the spot ambulance-chaser's gonna 'Sue' anybody.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Let's not play Alpha male here. No one wants a member to take Flight from ruffled feathers.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm all for seeing more roles featuring strong independent women in film and TV and more racially and sexually diverse leading men and women characters, but never at the expense of changing already established characters to get those roles. 

Imagine Buffy the Vampire Slayer except changing Buffy to a guy named Buff. Does that work or is a different show entirely? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Imagine Buffy the Vampire Slayer except changing Buffy to a guy named Buff. Does that work or is a different show entirely?

••

An interesting bit of "trivia" raised there. BUFFY and FRIENDS were on at more or less the same time. FRIENDS caught flak for its All-White cast, yet I don't recall so much as a whisper of complaint about BUFFY.

I'm reminded of when Bill Mantlo called STAR WARS a "White Supremacist" movie, because there were no Black people in it.* This kind of extreme thinking has become more and more prevalent as PC culture has taken hold.

* The is ONE, but if you blink you miss him.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Star Wars is full of racist overtones. The lack of people of color is the original release is a minor issue compared to many of the others..

Fixing something doesn't mean it wasn't broken.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Regarding a female Bond, I don't think a female 007 who is James Bond's predecessor (who said Bond was the first to have that designation?) would be a major big deal. 

But only if the story ends with her retiring or dying, setting up Bond becoming 007. Mysteriously disappearing wouldn't be good enough, because down the road some idiot would bring her back either as a villain or Bond's lover. Or both.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Star Wars is full of racist overtones. The lack of people of color is the original release is a minor issue compared to many of the others..

Fixing something doesn't mean it wasn't broken.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please expand upon that. What were all these racist overtones? I'd like to know what it was i was missing.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Deleted because my comment was a little too glib on second thoughts.

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 July 2017 at 8:28pm

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version