Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: BACKSTORY! The use of civilian identities Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's why I HATE it when other people "take up the mantle" (steal the costume and name) of an established hero--The person UNDER THE MASK is just as important as the masked persona and, in fact, makes us care about that hero.

Very good point - and one I hope we explore again in the future.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For me, the Aunt Petunia reveal came under the same heading as enlarging the City of Kandor; It was an emotionally satisfying turn to take with a long-standing element of the characters' lives. It doesn't alter the premise of the book or erase any of the history (although Ben does refer to his aunt having white hair as I recall. Maybe Penny dyes.) It advances the story just a tick and rewards longtime readers with a certain sense of payoff, but doesn't upset the applecart. 

You can try this too often and wind up unraveling too much of a character's history, but on the whole, it was a nice bonus for those of us who'd been around for awhile. And Penny was a fun character.

The downside of course, was that now that we have her in the book, we can kill her, which some unimaginative p.o.s. writer did the first chance he got. This is often done to spit in the faces of the fans and tell them to go the f*ck away. He's in charge now and will piss wherever he pleases. See also: Buffy Season Seven. "You stuck around for this? You get what you deserve, Loser! Here, have some more!"

For brand new fans who like their stuff with an edge, preferably jagged and rusted, well, what could be nicer? For those of who'd followed the books for a while and enjoyed the characters...? Pain, misery, and suffering, dolloped out by the handful! And why? 'Cause life's like that, ya whiners...

Ah, comics were so... intense there for a while, weren't they? You may have gotten off the train at just about the right time, Michael. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael P., I'm 56 and was reading F.F. pretty much since I started reading... it was undoubtedly the first Marvel comic I read. I guess that, even as F.F. did show some personal matters, I thought that there was a lot more that could have been revealed. You obviously don't, and that's fine; obviously, our mileage varies. ;)

I wouldn't know a lot about the "current era"... I'm just not buying new books. Right now, I get four - Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Future Quest, STNV (hi Mr. Byrne!) and I am about to start collecting Mark Waid's new run on Captain America.

Aside from that... my interest is well and truly lost, and I have no urge to regain it. There was a time when I would give a new series a six issue run, to see if it caught me. Now, I don't do that even with Justice League or Avengers. If DC ever brings back Legion of Super-Heroes, I MIGHT try it... but I think it unlikely that the LSH will return.

But to be very certain (coming back to your point) - I agree entirely that Fantastic Four had a lot more backstory than Avengers or Justice League of America. Perhaps I should have cited the Defenders instead... :) I know there were Valkyrie and Nighthawk fans. I mean, there must have been, right?:) :) :)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(Raises hand.) Cheese and crackers, I was a fan of Hellcat as well.

Edited by Brian Hague on 16 October 2017 at 12:42pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric Jansen:

Hi Brian.  I said at the beginning of my post (and don't take this as a criticism to you) "When I first started reading..." for a reason.  I started reading ARCHIE and RICHIE RICH (a LOT of consistency there!) when I was 7 in 1973 and really started with Marvel and DC when I was 9 in 1975--what an amazing time!  I got many years of the classic heroes that still LOOKED like the classic heroes!  I thoroughly enjoyed the Marvel and DC big guns until the mid-80's--a good ten years!--all the way up to CRISIS at DC and, at the same time at Marvel, some undefined lethargy.  After that, I drifted away...visiting the comic shops infrequently and paying more attention to a few of the independents.

'Undefined lethargy'. Good way to put it! DC ended up with a rather half-baked approach to implementing a lot of  its 'post-Crisis' changes...and over at Marvel, Shooter seemed more interested in thinking up the 'New Universe' than in what was going on in the 'real' Marvel Universe. There was a lot of 'change for change's sake' in between the two SECRET WARS series...and once the New Universe tanked, Marvel got even worse.

I loved the Bates/Novick/McLaughlin run on THE FLASH, but I started to lose interest around the time you mention.  I don't know if it was Bates' storyline or if it could be attributed to Don Heck's (then) messy art or Carmine Infantino (at his loosest) returning for the last few years.

I started reading FLASH in early childhood, not long after Iris' death, and I recently got caught up on the whole run from about #270-285. Rich Buckler was supposed to be the 'permanent' replacement for Novick. but he  disappeared after one issue (supposedly due to scheduling conflicts and 'other commitments', but DC actually printed a few negative letters about his work on that one issue, so it sounds like there was more to it than that). Don Heck seemed to be a 'loved or hated' artist at DC. I can see where the change in style would be a bit jarring after Novick, but my earliest memories of FLASH were issues that Heck dew, and I went on to enjoy his run in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.  Infantino returned later in 1980, several months after Bates had moved on to new storylines for Barry, but with a somewhat 'lighter', more '60s' look(appropriately enough, Infantino's first issue back featured a battle between Flash and a mind-controlled Elongated Man...as well as the return of the classic 'pointing finger' captions, and Barry's explanations of the scientific aspects of the stories).
To be honest, after a while, I preferred Gerry Conway's 'Firestorm' backup series(1980-81) to some of the 'Flash' work at that time, although the flashback-laden 300th issue had a nice twist.
Once 'Firestorm' moved on to his own book, I missed the issue that introduced the 'Doctor Fate' backup, and quickly realized I could live without the Flash. I did pick up the 'Professor Zoom murder' issue,as well as the series finale, but did not actually go back and reread everything in between until much later. It looked like Bates really had to 'vamp' to extend it long enough to lead into Barry's final fate in CRISIS.
It's too bad he got a better sendoff there than in his own title.

I think both companies were trying to mix things up with their major characters, but often using less than stellar talent.  I lost interest in DC sooner than Marvel, and CRISIS reinvigorated that for a time, but then I left again in the post-CRISIS confusion.  

I know I didn't totally, but I feel like I mostly skipped the 90's--and I'm happy I did!  (Friends who have quit reading comics have given me
their entire collections--mostly 90's stuff...and I see why they didn't
 want them!)

I cut way back on comics as the '80s wore on, and by the early '90s, the only DC book I was reading was the so-called 'BWAH HA HA Justice League'...which I dropped sometime in 1992.  All I followed from Marvel at that point were the Spider-Man titles(already besieged first by McFarlane, and then his 'draw-alike', Erik Larsen), and in 1993, I quit 'cold turkey' after the (ultimately temporary) death of Harry Osborn, in 'Spectacular Spider-Man' # 200. So, yeah, I go tout before the 'Clone Saga'...and once I was online, within a couple of years of that, I realized I was glad to stop when I did.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hmm...I'm just realizing--did I leave Marvel the same time that Shooter did?  Or was I already gone (and maybe so were many others) and that's why Shooter was fired?  I will have to go investigate and see when my last issues were.

(I know I stopped buying FANTASTIC FOUR when Mr. Byrne left, but I'll have to check on the others.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 16 October 2017 at 6:26pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I know I stopped buying FANTASTIC FOUR when Mr. Byrne left...

As did I. Every time I've quit buying comics "for good" I've gotten sucked back in by seeing a JB comic. When I quit as a kid because my parents were giving me crap about comics, I got sucked back in at 13 by FF #243. And when I sold all my comics and quit collecting for a few years in my late teens, I saw an issue of West Coast Avengers on a spinner rack at a Huck's convenience store and thought "John Byrne is doing West Coast Avengers now? This looks amazing!" Picked it up and got back into comics again and pretty much have never completely stopped since then. I blame John Byrne for my addiction. :P

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The 90's (and late 80's) at Marvel and DC are a wasteland to me, that I mostly avoided--but that gave me the great joy of "discovering" JB's SHE-HULK, NAMOR, and AVENGERS WEST COAST in recent years!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

All three of those runs are so great too, Eric. I bet that was a real treat. The only one of those I somehow missed completely when it came out was She-Hulk and I got it about ten years after it came out and few superhero comics have ever made me laugh as much as those comics did.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have probably re-read SHE-HULK more than any other series.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version