Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Action #1000: Red Trunks Return Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was bummed that NO John Byrne material for AC #1000!  Even just a cover would have been nice.  And the fans wept. :(
Back to Top profile | search

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm not sure to what extent my personal tastes affect my objectivity here, but I think that his absense is an obvious mistake.
At least there's a story by him in the 80th anniversary special.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I agree.  DC is to blame though, they should have pursued JB and offered him the moon.  The reason I did not buy AC 10000 is because of NO JB!  Bad decision on the part of DC!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jeff - we have no way of knowing that DC didn't do that. I fear that the hard feelings left by the two big guns have left Mr. Byrne with reluctance to deal with them again, even for such a landmark occasion.

But only he knows for certain.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, I bought my copy last night and just finished reading it.

No Neal Adams or Jim Starlin either--that's surprising.  (Of course, I have no idea what's in the $20 version.)

People posted here that they didn't really care for the Steranko cover.  My store immediately sold out apparently, but somebody ordered every variant--just so she could choose her favorite!  So, the store released the rest just as I was buying DEADMAN #6, so I got to choose from the leftover variants.  I tell you, in real life, the Steranko cover really stood out!  It's beautiful and I feel really lucky to have gotten that one!

The book itself was enh.  80 pages for $8 isn't bad, and it was nice to see new Superman stories by Jerry Ordway and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez again, and Olivier Coipel did a really nice job.  But all the stories were fairly weak.  Instead of telling "just" good stories, they all dealt with the "meaning of Superman" and nobody really seemed to grasp what that meaning is.  I suppose that could have been an editorial directive, but I'm a little sick of all the navel gazing.  (Paul Dini--who's fantastic--just contributed a little fun 5-pager drawn by Garcia-Lopez.  Peter Tomasi's "Superman through the decades" story might have been good, but the artist didn't convey the changing art styles that would have driven the point home.)

I don't know what's happening with the "new" Curt Swan story.  Is it already published art with repurposed dialogue?  And re-inked?  Butch Guice is a fantastic artist, but he really obliterates the Swan-ness of the pencils.

A lot of people here hate Bendis, but I did appreciate the dialogue in his story about how Superman "didn't look right without the red trunks"!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Neal Adams story is in the new ACTION COMICS hardcover. Written by Paul Levitz.

I enjoyed many of the stories. Tom King's surprised me with how good it was. Geoff Johns/Richard Donner doing a 1940s Superman story! Lots of fun. Same with the Tomasi/Gleason story. 

And of course I'll read anything with Garcia-Lopez art even if I don't like the story.  

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Purchased today, but haven't read it yet. I understand ACTION #1000 has 40 different covers - there's even one over in Australia that Nicola Scott drew.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Adam, I'm glad you liked it.  I really do hate to complain, but I think this milestone issue really should have been better.

The Geoff Johns/Richard Donner story looked beautiful with the Olivier Coipel art and, when I saw THE car, I thought "This is going to be great!"  But the moment Superman showed up, it was clearly the 70's/Earth 1 Superman's personality--the serious hero who wants to redeem even the worst thug and was fast enough to investigate the life story of the criminal he left hanging--NOT the fun, carefree crusader who would just as soon bust the thug's jaw or "scare him straight."  He was even floating in air!  The story was two good ideas that didn't fit together.

And can you explain the middle of the Tomasi/Gleason story to me?  Were the five pages between the German tank and the Silver Banshee supposed to represent the 50's, 60's, 70's, and early 80's periods?  If so, I think somebody should have told the artist.

I'm just not sure that today's talent can give us the Superman we all know and love.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 April 2018 at 11:06pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I purchased a digital copy and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I read my issue last night. I liked it and though I'm not a Bendis fan AT ALL, I hope that he will do as good as Jurgens and Tomasi have done the last few years. In my opinion, the Superman titles have been the best of the Rebirth books and I'd hate for The Rock Star Writer Syndrome to come in and ruin it. I fear the same thing for Captain America when Waid's run ends and Coates takes over.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ITEM: Um... spoilers?

ITEM: Butch Guice inking Curt Swan? I enjoy Guice's work, but maybe Curt Swan deserves a little better, and less overwhelming, treatment?

ITEM: Eight bucks for an eighty page giant is, to me, 32 times what I feel I should pay - until I look at my calendar. :) I understand the nature of the beast in the comic market, and I might have bought this, just for the novelty. I probably still will.

But I need Superman stories, not "Here's my story, and Superman is in it", as Mr. Byrne has cited more than once. I also dread, as Shawn noted, the "Rock Star Writer Syndrome" in this book. "Here's a Neal Adams story! Here's a Bendis story! Here's a Richard Donner story!" The only question to me is, are they Superman stories? Consistent, good, fun? If not - it's a waste of money. (Which I've stupidly done in the past, and likely will do again in the future. Sigh...)

ITEM: So is there such an escapade planned for Detective 1000? Or am I too late for that book?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Detective #979 is out this Wednesday, so... March 2020 I guess? Too soon to say what's planned for it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version