Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Action #1000: Red Trunks Return Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Richard Donner and Geoff Johns and Paul Levitz and Louise Simonson and Dan Jurgens and other veterans know how to write Superman stories. You might not like those particular stories. But they're Superman stories and not "my story with Superman in it." 
Back to Top profile | search

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Action Comics #1000 was ok.  I was really bothered that they changed Maggie Sawyer's look. I know they did it the New 52 or whatever, but still.  She was a definite fave in JB's run.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think DC will accelerate the releases of the Batman collection so #1000 is published during 2019 to coincide with Batman's 80th Anniverssary!

Edited by Manuel Soler on 23 April 2018 at 10:59am

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hasn't Detective been published twice a month since Rebirth began? That would put Detective #1000 about a year from now.

Edited by Michael Casselman on 23 April 2018 at 11:49am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, the date in my post should've been March 2019. Just can't keep track of what year it is anymore...

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I swear, if I hear one more person, at my
LCS gripe that trunks are too old
fashioned because they were born out of
the strongmen of the 30's, I'm gonna punch
them in the mouth. (Not really, but I want
to)
I'm having to remind idiots that there are
performing strongmen today. Would you want
to go up to a WWE wrestler and tell him
his trunks are stupid? 'Cause they still
wear 'em!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When I was a kid creating my first few dozen super-heroes---and knew nothing of circus strongmen of the 30's--I often gave them trunks...simply because it was a chance to add another color to the design and break things up a little.  (The unwritten rule was that the arms should match the legs, the gloves should match the boots, etc.)  And I'm sure this was the thinking of many adults in the business as well.

Marvel avoided different-colored trunks for the most part in their major heroes, but plenty of second and third-string characters got them.  Even DC skipped them for their cool Silver Age redesigns of the Flash, Green Lantern, and others.  But Batman and Superman had them since the 30's, so it became an "old DC" thing.

But, again, even as a kid, I understood that--far from being "underwear on the outside"--the usually loose-fitting trunks (even on Captain America and Thor where they were the same color as the legs or shirt) were there for modesty's sake.  That extra layer of clothing protected the wearer (and the viewer) from "unsightly bulges."

And the proof is in the pudding!  After a few years of Henry Cavill wearing tights that were uncomfortably tight in a certain area--and the accompanying cosplayers at cons who wear even thinner material--you can't help but feel embarrassed for anyone wearing a super-suit without some loose, thick, or armored material "down there."

People asked for it for years--remove Superman's trunks (which sounds weird)--and DC (and the movies) finally gave it to them.  And it looked bad.  The design needs that extra red down there and even the yellow belt.  He looked unfinished (or not completely dressed) without it.

I guess that's what experiments are for--and when something DOESN'T work, you get rid of it!  Like DC just did for Superman.  Good riddance to the mandarin collar too!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 April 2018 at 3:50pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When did Clark and Lois have a kid?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sometime between Flashpoint and the New 52.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian -- it's difficult to explain. It involves two different timelines, with the Clark and Lois we knew before 2011 ending up in the New 52 timeline ten years in the past. They assumed their home timeline was gone for good and they had no way to get back to it anyway. So they did everything they could to adjust to this other timeline that had its own Clark and Lois. And the "old" Clark and Lois had a son named Jon, born when the Convergence series came out, right before the time travel.

Since the events of "Superman Reborn" the two separate timelines have been mostly amalgamated. (It involved Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Fifth Dimension.) Few people, if anyone, remembers clearly that there used to be two Clarks and Loises, let alone two separate timelines.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"It involves two different timelines, with the Clark and Lois we knew before 2011 ending up in the New 52 timeline ten years in the past. They assumed their home timeline was gone for good and they had no way to get back to it anyway. So they did everything they could to adjust to this other timeline that had its own Clark and Lois. And the "old" Clark and Lois had a son named Jon, born when the Convergence series came out, right before the time travel.

Since the events of "Superman Reborn" the two separate timelines have been mostly amalgamated. (It involved Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Fifth Dimension.) Few people, if anyone, remembers clearly that there used to be two Clarks and Loises, let alone two separate timelines."

It sounds like it's about time for another CRISIS. I'm rooting for the Anti-Monitor this time.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Judas Priest! No wonder I’ve not read mainstream superhero comics in years. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version