Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: "How could you like/hate that costume?" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

SWORD OF THE ATOM was on the stands before I started buying comics but I noticed the striking covers by Gil Kane, my first exposure to his work. Little did I know a short 12 years later I'd receive the signal honor of being called "m'Boy" by the man himself when I took his message for a publisher. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sword of the Atom was a bad idea, for the reason JB gives, but the art was really good. And the costume. 

I also liked when Walt Simonson tore the top off of Cyclops’ costume in an issue of X-Factor. It looked really good. But it only worked in the context of his uniform being damaged. When they later made his regular costume look like that, I just didn’t think it was a look Scott Summers would choose. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What I hate is the recent trend to make costumes look too detailed. I'm surprised some comics aren't delayed because it takes longer to draw the main characters.

I like the current Wonder Woman outfit -- it's very, very close to the movie version -- but it looks like it takes a year and a half to draw, which makes me wonder (ha ha) how the books featuring Diana are coming out on time!
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The contemporary costume change which made me shake my head hardest was Al Milgrom's Wonder Man redesign in West Coast Avengers, which transformed a solid version by Bob Hall into an incomprehensible eyesore. At age 12 I pondered the ethics of compensation for such anticapable work.

Edited by David Miller on 21 January 2018 at 8:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have to say that I always enjoyed the "New Coke" armour that Iron Man wore. It may be my favourite.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The contemporary costume change which made me shake my head hardest was Al Milgrom's Wonder Man redesign in West Coast Avengers, which transformed a solid version by Bob Hall into an incomprehensible eyesore. At age 12 I pondered the ethics of compensation for such anticapable work. 

Yeah that was one of the worst superhero costumes ever. Simon's costume before that was fine.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Are we talking the green, red and yellow monstrosity with the gold Adam Strange ripoff jetpack, wavy mullet and no sunglasses? *shiver*

Speaking of Awful costumes, Cyclops has only had one I halfway liked since the one had back when artists named Cockrum and Byrne were drawing him: the black outfit with gold trim from ASTONISHING X-MEN. The only thing out of place was the silver visor. But his most recent costumes have been garbage. the X-shaped visor makes no sense....unless as part of a secondary mutation his eyes have moved, so he can no longer pass for human when unmasked. The mostly red costume (or is it mostly black, if he's not about to blast someone?) is hot garbage.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 21 January 2018 at 10:40pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hating the Falcon's latest costume.Though he probably hasn't a good one since the 70's. This one though makes the wings look like they'd weigh him down rather than lift him. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There's one particular shortlived Falcon costume I liked, but I can't find a decent picture of it online. It was the same color scheme as the 70s outfit, but most of his head was actually covered.

But almost every costume he's had since the original green and orange outfit has been an improvement over it.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bill - re Captain Britain and the colouring.

I’m not sure it was the colourists per se, but rather the printing. I thought they were saying the lines were too thin/too close together and they thought the colours would constantly bleed into one another if the figure was too small on the page.

This was ‘80’s newsprint after all

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, since Wonder Man was mentioned, my favorite  is the Perez designed second uniform.
Didn't last very long though.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm not a fan of Wonder Man, but this is my preferred look for him...

...followed by this one...

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version