Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

These are the dogs that are banned in the UK:

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A dog will always have a tendency to lean toward its breed-specific traits. Terriers were bred to be fearless fighters. Pitbulls on top of this have extremely powerful jaws. In my experience, pitbulls are generally very affable towards humans, but if you take in a rescue, there is an element of uncertainty, especially in the first days and weeks as the dog is still learning who its new family is.

Historically deaths by dog attacks correlate to the size and power of the animal, along with which large, powerful breed is currently in vogue with a certain type of owner, not necessarily the aggressiveness of the breed. A Yorkshire Terrier may be just as prone to bite as a Shepherd, Pitbull, Malamute, Rottweiler or Doberman, but the damage they can inflict is limited compared to these latter breeds. Any of these powerful breeds can be lovely dogs if raised the right way. The problem comes when either they are mistreated or intentionally raised to be aggressive.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The UK legislation uses quite nebulous wording.

Specifically, this wording is:

(a)any dog of the type known as the pit bull terrier;
(b)any dog of the type known as the Japanese tosa; and
(c)any dog of any type designated for the purposes of this section by an order of the Secretary of State, being a type appearing to him to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've owned dogs all my life -- in my 53 years, I've never been without a canine companion -- but this is my first pitbull. And I'd have to say I'll get another. Mine came to me battered and scarred and abused and he's an amazing dog anyway. He's loving and connected and beautiful.

••

I hope nothing happens to change your mind, Tom. But I also stand by my gun-in-the-house analogy.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The most aggressive dog I've ever owned was a female beagle -- oh, what a bitch -- and the older she got, the meaner she got (just like me!). That dog would bite you just as soon as look at you, little nips, you know? All the time.

I think the stats bear me out that little dogs bite far more frequently than bigger dogs. Obviously, bigger dogs do more damage when they bite, but those bites occur far less frequently than chiuauas.  

Now here's where I go out on a limb. Personally, I wouldn't leave a three year old alone with ANY dog, much less a pitbull. Dogs don't just "go crazy" and attack -- they're provoked. But a three year old can grab and poke and smack without realizing the effect that's having on a dog. I'm not saying that every dog attack is provoked. I'm saying there are warning signs a dog is going to attack. It comes back to supervision, which is an owner's responsibility. 

Pits are strong dogs -- they're quick and they're tenacious. They can play rough. It's up to the owner to establish the boundaries of play and know his/her dog's temperament. I know my dog's triggers and I know my dog's moods. I am a responsible owner. But I'm not stupid, either. He's well trained and I don't put him in situations where he's out of my control. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The issue, of course, isn't the stats on how often different breeds bite. They ALL bite. But I'd sooner take on an angry chihuahua than an angry pitbull!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This may sound terrible, but my current thinking about a dog is 'Can I kick that hard enough to incapacitate it long enough for me and others to get to safety if needed'?

My wife once got out of our car and was attacked by a dog. I couldn't get out fast enough to do anything before the owner managed to pull it off her. I would have kicked that dog from pillar to post had I managed to be nearer. I know that sounds horrible, but my lasting memory is that I was not fast enough to get my wife to safety and from that moment on, the above has been my first thought with every dog that runs towards my family.

When I lived with my parents, we always had a dog (and cats), my parents still have dogs. As I have lived away from them, I am far more attracted to cats, but I still never left my son, when he was a baby, alone with our cats.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

James i agree with you.I have kicked a dog in the ribs
when it attacked one of my dogs,ours was on a lead,the
attacker wasn`t,it charged at ours unprovoked,and
clamped it`s jaws on her hind leg,my kick winded it and
it let go,i gave the owner a bollocking,the dog was a
Staffie,a dog popular with thugs over here.As for
cats,haven`t they been known to smother sleeping babies
by curling up on their heads?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hey, Bill, is it the program you use, or in England do they no longer teach typists to include a space after commas? I'm afraid my tired old eyes find your posts often hard to read!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Personally, I wouldn't leave a three year old alone with ANY dog, much less a pitbull.

I just returned from visiting family and they have two cats. I had cats growing up, but not my little kids. So they needed to be shown how to treat them. My 9 year old was fine. My 6 year old was... ok... but I had to watch her, carefully. Spook a cat, don't respect their personal space, rub them the wrong way, and...!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

We leave spaces JB. Some people, who were taught on typewriters, leave two spaces, even now. Same after a period, two spaces. Which I find weird.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version