Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Why were all the superheroes created in such a narrow window? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My dad stopped listening to new music some time in the early 80s, and he still demands to change the station when what is now considered “classic rock” songs that are 25-30 years old play on the radio, because to him it’s just new stuff that is noise.

If you aren’t seeing all the new stuff, it might be because you’re perceiving it as noise. That’s how I feel about most of the YouTube and Instagram “celebrities” that are big with Millennials and Generation Z. 
Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If you aren’t seeing all the new stuff, it might be because you’re perceiving it as noise.

Very insightful point.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I like to turn my garden hose on today's crop of on-line and YouTube celebs and shout at them to get off my LAN. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 16 March 2018 at 9:04pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Do we know if publishers are even looking for new concepts and breakout characters? Riri Williams and Kamala Khan may be great, but they're intrinsically tied to existing company properties. Any success they enjoy, the company enjoys. If Creator A does come to them with the Phenomenal Bob Knobb, are their attorneys interested in sharing the profits, or would everyone simply prefer A unify his ideas for Bob with something to do with the Hulk. He could be the Hulk's nephew, for instance... After all, what's great about a Marvel Comic is that it features Marvel characters and concepts. If Bob Knobb doesn't look like a pre-existing, pre-sold Marvel hero, how will readers come to appreciate him? Why roll the dice and spend the money otherwise?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like to turn my garden hose on today's crop of on-line and YouTube celebs and shout at them to get off my LAN. 

——

*slow clap*

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think I disagree with just about every point made in the first post. There are many new characters, bands, stars etc today. My points against the post have been made by others in this thread already but I would suggest that you possibly no longer are exposed to the areas where these things occur.

At times neither am I. But the people around me, especially kids, most certainly are. They have favourite bands that I have never heard of, and they are huge.

Marvel have created lots of new characters in recent years, many are derivative of others, but many, as previously mentioned in the thread, are not (I assume D.C. have also created new characters but I am less informed about them as I don’t read any of their comics)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael, I'm honored. 

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would suggest that you possibly no longer are exposed to the areas where these things occur.

The whole point of being a star is that you don't have to be exposed to the medium they drive from, to be exposed to them.

Over the top (mega-stardom) means that you reach the people that do not care to be reached. "They are huge" because their target audience likes them is not the HUGE I'm talking about. Celebrity is the separation between what you do/did and the interest you garner.

It's when you keep seeing scenes from a  movie you never saw. So many in fact, you think you might have seen it after all. lol

There's superheroes who I know their origin story and what their powers are, but never read a book they were in. People who do not read comics know who they are. Wrestlers I can name on sight but never saw a match. They go bigger than their medium.

Think of when Brad Pitt was hot. Never Saw Thelma and Louise, but I saw every scene he was in. Heard endless stories about him and he was that guy.

The Fantastic Four was huge. Maybe not as popular as the X-men were, the FF had more penetration. Stand up comics had routines about them. Never heard any other comic teams used that way. Maybe the Hulk was a punchline machine....and Superman....You didn't have to read FF to know who they were. They didn't have to be into comics to know who the core players were.

Edited by Drew Spence on 17 March 2018 at 1:58am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Two, three years ago, you couldn't take two steps without running into a Taylor Swift story, yet I still meet who claim to know nothing about her. Because they're old.

As I said earlier, entertainment has so many options these days that it's much more fragmented and much more difficult to become universal. That being said, there are still plenty of /huge/ trends to go around. I'd suggest that the truly iconic things are more sparse than you remember, and many of the things you perceived as universal were more youth popular culture.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hmmm...I say the opposite with so many ways and avenues to go viral, it should be easier today to become universal.

We are way more connected and I should say more people connected, but with looser ties. A Taylor Swift story hits you everywhere.
People you are barely friends with are sharing her stories. Things you are not searching for, yourself. I don't watch the superbowl, but I still am linked to, and see- the top 10 commercials.

Everything is STORED, relayed and replayed. Missed the crazy play, you'll see memes and vines and recaps and such on your social media ports. You will NOT miss anything. You have to work hard to tune things out. Didn't watch the winter Olympics, but I know who all the break-out athletes were/are.

Plus now, with active ad targeting. Please, click on one marvel trailer and EVERYTHING Infinity Wars will be served to you. I watched a wrestling clip and now I am flooded with all the wrestling content one can ask for.

I rented/no, actually bought Shape of Water. I saw the trailer and was like "Oh, looks like the guy from Hellboy got his own movie" nope, and with all the buzz, I bought it. Back in the day, that *might have been a few spins on HBO and I would have sat through it. Now it got a major push.

I think there's something else going on. C'mon, the news is analyzing tweets for goodness sake. Nothing escapes the net, I;m only wondering why nothing is sticking, like it used to.

If the answer is too much content, then I ought to have more choices and I don't. It's the same old stuff recycled over and over.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Same old stuff? Sure. There's a saying in Hollywood. "Nobody wants to be first, but everbody wants to be second." That applies elsewhere, too. A single successful innovation spawns countless imitators.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric Jansen ...they have displayed originality, grown in popularity, and creators seem to love them--though they're both from 1991...27years ago!

Mind blown when I pause and realize how much time has gone by!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version