Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Batman VS Spider-Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Batman probably wouldn't even TRY to land a hit. We can assume he knows all of Spider-Man's strengths, and would base his attack on them -- possibly even exploiting them to his own advantage.
Back to Top profile | search

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How would Batman be examing the webbing in the Batcave if it always disaolves within an hour?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That comes down to how far from the Batcave the battle occurs. Plus, traditionally, Batman has a mini bat-lab in the Batmobile, and something equivalent in his utility belt.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Batman probably wouldn't even TRY to land a hit. We can assume he knows all
of Spider-Man's strengths, and would base his attack on them -- possibly even
exploiting them to his own advantage.
+++++++++++

Why make that assumption? this could be a first meeting.I agree though that
once they have met or once he is aware of Spider-Man that Batman would be
more prepared

Edited by Paul Kimball on 05 May 2018 at 9:13am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Cole wrote:
How would Batman be examining the webbing in the Batcave if it always dissolves within an hour?

Mr Byrne already answered, but that was my thought. If near enough the Batcave, he'd examine it; if not, and the Batmobile lab wasn't enough, he'd have to chalk it up as a loss.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Batman probably wouldn't even TRY to land a hit. We can assume he knows all of Spider-Man's strengths, and would base his attack on them -- possibly even exploiting them to his own advantage.

+++++++++++

Why make that assumption? this could be a first meeting.I agree though that once they have met or once he is aware of Spider-Man that Batman would be more prepared

•••

I imagine Batman keeps tabs on superfolk, good and bad. "Be prepared" is his number one mantra.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
I imagine Batman keeps tabs on superfolk, good and bad. "Be prepared" is his number one mantra.

One thing I loved about the "shared earth" aspect of early DC/Marvel crossovers was the comments made by the heroes, acknowledging each other's existences (in the second Superman/Spider-Man team-up, Wonder Woman mentions that she had been planning to hunt down the web-slinger).

Well, in the Batman/Hulk crossover, Batman tells someone (Commissioner Gordon, I think) that he had kept a file on the Hulk in the Batcave for quite some time. I imagine, if use the "shared earth" as a premise, Batman would keep files on all the heavy-hitters, including Spider-Man.

It's sort of why I dislike the "separate universes" premise that the modern crossovers did. Superman casually mentioning that he'd heard whispers about Galactus from heroes in another universe is not as fun as Batman telling Gordon about the Hulk's file in the Batcave.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The "separate universes" was and is fanboy twaddle. No reason for not simply assuming all is one world, and various characters have not met before. But, no, that isn't complicated enough.

feh

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Totally agree (I've been shouting it since I joined this forum!). 

When Spider-Man appeared in a TRANSFORMERS comic, it felt completely right. But years later, I did read comments from some, asking what earth it took place on. *Sighs*

The early DC/Marvel crossovers enhanced my enjoyment of superhero comics. I'd always wanted to believe they were on the same earth, but SUPERMAN VS THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN confirmed it. I was pleased you went down that road with your DC/Marvel crossovers, plus the 1990s Hulk/Superman tale went down that same road.

I also think it's more accessible, e.g. Clark Kent and Peter Parker crossing paths due to journalistic responsibilities works better for me than bogged-down multiverse explanations involving cosmic entities. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Batman. Whether a surprise or not, I feel that Batman's knowledge of physical abilities - his own or others' - will make the difference.

But my question, likely for another thread, is - how does Batman do with another "winner"? Some hero who is also knowledgeable and just about always ready to fight?

So of course... it's Batman vs Captain America again. Think I'll pop that up now...,

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think a young, neophyte Spider-Man would be taken down by Batman. But a Spider-Man with years (decades?) of super-duels behind him would be able to overcome the Dark Knight. Peter Parker simply has more physical and mental talent than Bruce Wayne. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 05 May 2018 at 9:02pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's hard for me to imagine someone that's 10X stronger than his opponent not being the favorite in a fight.  I realize fighting skill and technique play a big part but at some point, overwhelming speed, agility and strength, along with heightened awareness/anticipation are going to be too much for a human.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version