Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Another school shooting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There was that Austin University Of Texas shooting way back in 1961. They say there is no new thing under the sun. Obviously the sheer amount of weaponry around is directly connected to the amounts it will be used in all manner of ways. Actual numbers of weapons in Canada is going to be far far less than the one tenth or whatever fraction of the U.S. population we have. If there are X number of guns per capita in the U.S. and Y in Canada, the number of X being 100, Y is not going to be 10.

The different history includes the RCMP, the law, usually coming before or with the North West and Hudson's Bay Company and any settlers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I only lived in the States for a year when I was younger. It was Oregon so time, location and my age skew my understanding. At that time many families we knew had guns in Canada, and we knew it, but in Oregon we never saw or knew of anyone having guns.

Is history stronger than modern cultural and sociological influences? We have our crazies with guns but they do not generally choose mass shootings. I was even unlucky enough to have been shot at by a neighbor, who probably had more guns than most American nuts. 

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I made the error of thinking in terms of non hunting rifles. My mistake. I've lived in Oregon less (so far though I was just there for around a month stretch) than in Washington and Alaska, but as with Canada a lot of people have rifles. I'm not sure how one could factor out such practical-use rifles from the handguns and military style gear. I did see one stat about 3% of the U.S. population having 50% of the weaponry, which indicates something other than basic rifles for use on wildlife.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 May 2018 at 7:43pm

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I saw this stat on CBS yesterday:

After Friday's school shootings in Texas, there have now been more students and teachers killed by gunfire in America's schools than active military deaths in 2018:

31 students and teachers
29 service members

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There really is not one statistic in all this crap that I find makes one iota of sense.
There is not one word that comes from that bloody organisation (& I use the word bloody in its truest sense) that comes from an intelligence I recognise.
Politicians are cowards. They would rather take money from immoral people than protect the children of America.

The sad thing is, people used to be able to say ‘You are only bringing children in to an argument to get the emotional response’. That’s not the case here. As shown, statistically, it is children that suffer here. In schools, in gangs, wherever.

& your government is failing. Badly. The American people need to find politicians who will stand against this & elect them. Ignore the campaign funded loud mouths & make a stand. Bloody the nose of the politicians who are spineless. Let them know that enough is enough. The entirety of the world looks @ America & wonders what are you doing? What will it take?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought there was a poll of NRA members after Sandy Hook that showed something like 87% were in favor of some added (or reintroduced) standards. I guess those stats aren't NRA approved or distributed though.

Reality intrudes like gravity very harshly, perhaps more harshly the further away from it you got.

There are parts of the world far worse than the U.S., with even more gun violence, not places you'd aspire to keep the company of I suppose.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 May 2018 at 7:47pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Came across THIS.

Disgusted.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sarah Sanders is asked about what is being done by the White House to stop gun violence by a 13-year-old boy:

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If a white house administrator or cabinet member's child attended a school where there was an incident then we might see some movement on the subject. The current regime is happy to ignore anything until it comes right up and bites them on the ass. Until we have an active shooter at an NRA meeting they won't change their tune either.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version