Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 1  

As this "Imaginary Story" continues to tumble and toss in my head, I find myself coming to questions I asked myself during my STAR TREK work. Most especially, the question of who knew what, and when.

In my TREK stories I was pretty free about mixing movie and even later series references into TOS era tales. Klingons with brow ridges drinking raktajino, for instance.

Now, with the X-Men, I am in a curious position. This story "takes place" during my original run with the characters, corresponding, as noted, roughly with 138/139 -- but does this mean I should I not allow myself to mix in what came later? For instance, I can see this particular tale incorporating elements from HIDDEN YEARS. Should I do it?

Rhetorical question, really. In this "issue" I can do whatever I darn well please. But still gets my fevered brain churning.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, that is exactly why we are all loving what you're doing here! This all unfiltered creative enthusiasm you're sharing. No rules, just fun.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 3  

Hidden Years should be fair game. It's not like you contradicted anything established in that series – it was just hidden!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm remembering some fan's heads exploding when I drew Bobby Drake in a backwards baseball cap in the HIDDEN YEARS preview. If this was a real book, I'm afraid to imagine how the knuckle-heads would respond!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 5  

You should absolutely include your content from HIDDEN YEARS. You know what makes sense for the story and what will serve it best.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 16 July 2018 at 7:21am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 6  

In case you can't read my note at upper left, it says 30 SEC(ONDS) AGO...

I may change that fourth panel to a close-up of just one wheel KLUMFing down.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Weird realization: at this point the X-Men do not know Wolverine's name is Logan.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 8  

Okay, I think I may be going mad!

I just spent a few pleasant minutes, paging thru one of the X-MEN ESSENTIAL volumes, looking for the first time Dave drew the Blackbird -- and I can't find it.

I was sure it was he who introduced that aircraft that the X-Men's transportation of choice, but the earliest appearance I can find is in 126, drawn by me, and looking more like the Strato-Jet that got blowed up real good in 94.

HALP!!!!!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 9  

This is pure joy to see!  I thought we were lucky to get a glimpse of a few key characters, and here we are getting to see the whole team from this time period.  I was buying these issues off the spinner rack, so this time frame is very close to my heart.  To see Cyclops, Storm, and Wolverine through your pencil is such a great experience.  And now to see Colossus and Nightcrawler is amazing - your art captures NIghcrawler’s elegant motion, and you managed to balance Colossus’ strength with his shy vulnerability. 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 10  

I love that page!
I was right there with Colossus wanting to kick
Wolverine's ass!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 11  

This story "takes place" during my original run with the characters, corresponding, as noted, roughly with 138/139 -- but does this mean I should I not allow myself to mix in what came later? For instance, I can see this particular tale incorporating elements from HIDDEN YEARS. Should I do it?

Far as I'm concerned, you've got my confidence in all things related to THE X-MEN (I've always admired how you think things through story-wise!) so I'm just sitting back and "enjoying the ride", JB! You've never disappointed as a storyteller before - especially when you've really invested with the character(s).

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 12  

#138-139 with Jean somewhere recuperating? Hell yes!

Eep... 'my bad'? Over-thinking contagion! :^(

Maybe it is best to have it as 'just is,' maybe from 'somewhere else' or whatever people want to make of it, each to themselves. Having all the Hidden Years though, of course I'm all for them.

The fourth panel little bird-like dino reacting is cool though!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version