Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Fantastic subplot page, JB.... I think Jean's face in the last panel looks youthful... like she's not wearing any make-up. Seems appropriate to her situation.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

I drew her without makeup -- which seems to have worked. But I'm not satisfied with the shape of the face. Or the kids.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have dreaded the impact of the original plan for getting rid of Jean's Phoenix connection. It's a tearjerker to imagine Scott, leading the X-Men, while the woman he loves is at home in that condition because of intergalactic punishment. I don't know how to make it right again, but I would be writing letters to the editor, advocating for Jean to get all her faculties, pronto --before I tear up my Mighty Marvel Marching Society Membership Card!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

The Jean Grey in a cocoon under Jamaica Bay idea was salvaging something (and someone) from an imposed situation. I was happy with it, and yet I was not happy with much else in X comics that had followed the death of Phoenix. I'd be pretty willing to use the time machine and lose that Jean. Would she just go "dark" again if she did recuperate even partly? I guess I'd have to keep reading! :^) Obviously I would hope not, but I can't say it can't be done well and prove me wrong.

They had their chance to make things work out where Phoenix had to die, and other than the Avengers/Fantastic Four finding Jean in the coccoon they made an illogical mess with alternate futures crossing over again and again, and re-incarnations, and a somehow non-vegetable Mastermind (who really should have been the one Shooter or whoever insisted didn't come back)... and then... then they had a Phoenix entity possess Jean Grey after all... arggh... so basically they really blew it! I just didn't and still don't care about that mass of faint echoes and reruns and runarounds after #145. This would be the X-Men to me more than the years of stuff they published (with a very few exceptions).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

Very powerful and sad page.. when I saw the last panel and my mind instantly went back to Phoenix: The Untold Story. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

Not happy with the faces in the last panel.

Well, in last panel if that's Jean's mother, Elaine, I don't recognize her from the Dark Phoenix Saga. Different hairstyle, no glasses, seems older,,,, she seems Jean's grandmother! Perhaps a nanny?
About the children in last panel: are they Sara's children, Joey and Gailyn?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well, in last panel if that's Jean's mother, Elaine, I don't recognize her from the Dark Phoenix Saga. Different hairstyle, no glasses, seems older,,,, she seems Jean's grandmother! Perhaps a nanny?

•••

Women don't take off their glasses? Or change their hair?

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

I believe Sara is holding a cell phone.
"...but...cellphones didn't exist in 1980!!!!"-said the internet.

Also, is that the Kravitz household in the background there? You just know Mrs. Kravitz is going to be nosing around when the stuff hits the fan.

I don't want this situation for Jean, it makes me sad, please make a happily ever after.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

Also, is that the Kravitz household in the background there? You just know Mrs. Kravitz is going to be nosing around when the stuff hits the fan.

•••

The Kravitz live across the street.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

:)

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Women don't take off their glasses? Or change their hair?

Yes, of course but I think that after all that happened during the Dark Phoenix, including at the end, her daughter suffering a lobotomy; she shouldn't have the time nor the energy to go to an hairdresser or worry too much about her hair.
Also for the "newer" readers and continuity, it could be best if she looked the same way that last time she appeared.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

See what this book would be up against, folks?

sigh

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version