Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB accused of being misogynous? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

I do NOT know JB personally - I know him peripherally through this forum and intimately through his work - as far as his being a misogynist in his treatment of women in his work, all I can say is I find it to be completely UNTRUE!

In fact, JB was one of those FEW writers who INTRODUCED me to strong, powerful women like the Invisible Girl/Woman, She-Hulk, Jean Grey/Phoenix, the women of Alpha Flight, etc.

Marc
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

Where is the sarcasm font on here? 👀
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 3  

Bullshit...

A lot to say about this "paper" but my english is not good enough to develop.

Just one thing: does this person know that poison is statistically the favorite way women murdered in Europe history.

When I think about Phoenix, Heather Hudson, Invisible Woman, Wasp, Tony Murcheson, Jasmine, Wonder Woman, She-Hulk... wait I can't complete his list as it's too long... this is laughable.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Curiously enough, the name of the author of this piece seems very close to the name of someone who was punted off the Forum a few weeks ago, for using such an obviously fake name.

Coincidence, I'm sure.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 5  

I do not believe Mr. Byrne would be misogynistic, or really any generalized bigotry.

Although I don't know him well enough, from comments over thirty-odd years, I believe he would despise someone for their individual traits and actions... not their race, religion, creed, gender, height, weight, etc.

Thus, accusing him of loathing a singular group seems pretty disingenuous.

Of course, that would involve that he would hate anyone in the first place, and I think that might be a bit of a stretch. Intensely dislike, perhaps... but hate seems kind of strong. Again, that's from impressions I've gotten.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 6  

The chief problem with "reviews" like this is the tendency for them to speak in Absolutes, which means that any attempt to counter the false assertions is itself a trap.

"He NEVER draws puppies!!"

"But I drew puppies here, here and here. . . "

"SEE! You do it so rarely you can actually LIST the times when you did!!'

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 7  

I didn't pick up on any sexism when reading those books but I do remember really liking the art. I don't know why those particular books stood out to me but they did.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 8  

"Standards have fallen!"

I'm the old 'Major' now. I finally feel between this, the fuzzy-wuzzy Koko junk, and screaming child at the border being rammed at us 24/7 for a week that I am now the grumpy old frump. Leave me to my old funny books and adventure tv shows dagnabit, I liked 'em.

Pseudo intellectualism, psuedo science, and psuedo politics. Might as well have pseudonyms everywhere too, it fits I suppose. :^|

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 23 June 2018 at 10:58am

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 9  

Ok, I have to admit, I had to look up what misogynist meant:
a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

So based on that definition, the writer is just full of sh*t and was going to put every effort to put that word in the article regardless of the context. 

I'm reminded why the internet sucks at reviews. IMO, a proper story review should focus on the story, not the creator. This review isn't an opinion about the story. It's an attack on JB hiding as a review of the story.

One thing about the reviewer's opinion on how ALL Romulan women should be portrayed is that the reviewer is pigeon-holed by the handful of MILITARY women portrayed in the various series. I would hazard a guess the Romulan Empire has a population of at least 20+ billion (it's probably much higher). Yet according to the reviewer, the entire society and all women must be portrayed the same way as seen on the series? Talk about being narrow minded and unrealistic. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

The big mystery to me is how this article was found in the first place. Only two days after being posted to the internet, before Google had time to index it, on a website that has NO other content, posted here by a new member with no previous posts who just happened to register as a member on the same day the article was posted. Hmmmmm....

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 23 June 2018 at 12:13pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

The big mystery to me is how this article was found in the first place. Only two days after being posted to the internet, before Google had time to index it, on a website that has NO other content, posted here by a new member with no previous posts who just happened to register as a member on the same day the article was posted. Hmmmmm....

••

Pure coincidence.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

Pure coincidence.

And, I'll add, as you already know, an article posted by a recent member of this forum, who's sole purpose was to leverage the SEO strength and traffic potential of this site, for their own personal promotions.

I've learned more about sneaky tactics today.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 23 June 2018 at 12:30pm

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version