Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: How To Improve Superhero Comic Sales Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have no insight or expertise in helping DC or Marvel sell more books. I'm just a guy who happens to like superhero books. So what follows is solely my non-scientific 'theory'.

I like the Mandarin. Always have. Today I learnt that tomorrow will see a Punisher/Mandarin arc in Punisher's book:

Unless I'd come across the synopsis, I would not have known the Mandarin was in the book. And I'd have probably had no reason to buy it.

Why are *some* publishers and *some* comics more interested in pin-up covers than action ones? 

I came across this at a jumble sale decades ago:

Being a Mandarin fan, I had to pick it up. The Hulk's in trouble! He appears to be drowning. Mandarin is gloating. There's a word balloon. The comic has advertised that the Mandarin is inside - so a Mandarin fan is going to at least consider picking it up.

I am not saying that classic-style covers done today will improve sales. I have no evidence to back up my claim. I am just thinking of advertising. Whether it's a wrestling DVD or a rock festival, advertising should be key, I feel. If a wrestling DVD cover simply had one wrestler, and didn't tell us who else was at the event, it might not grab people in the same way as imagery of several wrestlers; and if a rock festival poster simply had ONE guitarist on it, would it grab people in the same way as a poster featuring numerous singers/bands?

I am certain I am not the only Mandarin fan in the world. I know he has his detractors, too. But as a kid, I did usually pick up a comic - even one I hadn't gravitated towards - if a particular character was on it. I am a fan of the likes of Juggernaut, Destroyer and Man-Bat. I name those as I have heard they have had detractors, too. But to the person with change in his pocket, in this case me, when I saw a cover with any of those three on, it was a must-buy.

I know folk will become aware of the Punisher/Mandarin encounter based on a synopsis. But I am thinking of the casual reader. And it's not only about being a Mandarin fan. If that comic had been done in, say, the 70s, we'd have probably have had a cover of Punisher falling down a mountain as the Mandarin gloats. Or one of Punisher's guns being melted by Mandarin's rings.

I am no expert on comics, sales, business, etc. But it does seem a tad odd not to advertise or hint at what is inside an issue. Pin-up covers may make good posters, but I wonder, if we had more action-based covers, would sales increase? Or have a good shot at selling more?

I have no answers. I'm only speculating. So thoughts welcome!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 21 August 2018 at 10:46am
Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Back 35 years or so ago in my fairly early days of collecting comics, I worked on getting the issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN that I didn't have.  I didn't go in any particular order.  I decided which issues to get next by browsing through the back issues of my local comic shop and then getting the ones I thought looked the most interesting based on the cover (often because of the villain).  In those pre-internet days, if comics had been mostly had pinup covers back then, I might not have bothered to get many of the back issues.  Pinup covers, done rarely, can be a nice treat but done as a regular thing is just overkill.  Marvel seemed to lean heavily toward the pinup covers around 15 or so years back, when many books were having deadline issues.  One popular theory is that the pinup covers were used since they might not know what would actually be appearing in a given issue.  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They`re selling to existing customers with that cover,
not even trying to get the casual buyer, a failing of
the direct market and poor editorial decisions.God
forbid they feature covers that look like comics used
to, with action and a clue to the contents to lure you
in!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Indeed.

I know I came to this topic from the perspective of being a Mandarin fan. But I'll put that aside for a moment.

Imagine if the cover was action-packed. Imagine the casual buyer entering the shop. He/she sees a mysterious guy with rings exerting dominion over Punisher. Maybe there's a word balloon - and a desperate Punisher reaching for his gun. Maybe the casual buyer sort of knows Punisher from the Netflix series. He/she is intrigued. They want to know who the bad guy with rings is - and why he's harming Punisher.

They also want to know how Punisher will get out of it. 

That sort of thing COULD attract a casual buyer. 

When I saw the aforementioned Hulk/Mandarin comic (around the 80s at a jumble sale), I knew a little of the Mandarin. I certainly wanted to know what the Hulk was sinking into - it looked very hot! - and how the Mandarin had possibly subdued him.

I just wonder if sales might be better if some comics would actually give us action-packed covers and advertise who is inside it. 

There can still be room for surprises, of course. When I saw this in a back issue box, it didn't advertise who the mystery villain was, but I certainly wanted to find out:

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The wrapping on a product should be a selling point - any supermarket product will show you that in the suggested serving shots on the front.*

Home sellers have magazines and flyers to show the outside of a house for purchasers. Obviously the external appearance doesn't show any information about the interior, but one can tell if it's a Cape Cod, two-story, on a large or small lot, a cabin, in the city, suburbs, or woods, etc.

Newspapers and periodicals have teasers on the front to get attention and (hopefully) buyers. A lot of internet home pages seem to be the same.

I feel that comics deserve the same respect. But so many of the early Golden Age books were almost all pin ups. Even books with titles of stories in it might still be pin up type.

Late Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age comics covers presented what was in the book** - and as has been noted, a good teaser gets attention for what's in the book. It wasn't always the case, and there were a few pin up covers - Avengers #200 springs immediately to mind, and X-Men 126 the same.

Slowly, the pendulum swung back to pin up covers, much the same time the direct market came to fore (or so I recall.) Once in a while wasn't too bad, but the cover and title then apparently took precedence over the story.

As this trend increased, the comic book buyers were changing as well, buying books more due to the creators than the comic story itself. I can't think that speculator boom didn't contribute to this.

Last time I was in a comic book shop, there seemed to be about an even split between pin-up and teaser covers. 

Would showing more about the comic get more sales? In this spoiler-based age, I'm afraid that a lot of readers already know what the story is about... the cover tease is meaningless, so give 'em another page of art.

I think that teaser covers would help a little.... but I'm afraid that's like aloe gel on a third degree burn. A little help towards the symptoms, but no cure.

*That's not always the case, of course. Produce shows itself, and some products count on brand name to sell themselves, or transparent packaging to show the contents.

**The exception to the story teasers that I recall from these eras were on magazines. Conan, Planet of the Apes, Eerie and other monster/horror mags, etc. What I recall was painted  pin ups, and I gotta say - they caught my attention all right!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sir Eric, thanks for the historical context.

What was that Spider-Man pin-up cover (black costume) done by our host? Or did I imagine that? I hope not. I loved that. I wanted to turn that into a poster.

And I loved this:

Man, who wouldn't want to pick up an issue like that? But it's because the pin-up covers were so rare, that I enjoyed them.

Eric, your historical context is true. Things are written for the trade now, and in an era of spoilers and "pull lists", maybe the publishers don't feel the need to have action covers.

But that could be one of many things wrong with comics. What about the casual buyer who has never bought a comic? He/she goes into Forbidden Planet to buy a keyring or Pop Funko. He/she has seen an Iron Man movie recently. And the Avengers films, too. What's that on the shelf? Iron Man getting his clock cleaned by Juggernaut or Destroyer! It looks hopeless - and Stark's armour is melting away. That casual fan might pick up a book that hooks him/her.

And, yes, he/she may become a regular, with "pull lists" and the like, but I really think they need to try and grab people.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For covers you have a storyteller or an illustrator. I much prefer covers that tell a story - that captures a critical moment of the story.

The Punisher cover is a great illustration but the only thing it tells me is the story might take place in the subway of New York. It doesn't convey anything else. Zilch.

The Hulk and Captain America covers are far better, IMO, than pin-ups. 

Pin-ups should be for posters, not covers.

Thats just my opinion.

Side note: I also don't like when the cover artists is different than the interior artist. I think thats just lying to the customer.

So to go back to the original question - I would hope that storytelling covers would attract more new customers. I would hope. But I fear today's audience has no time to appreciate story telling covers.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 21 August 2018 at 10:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The industry  should identify their target audience and go after them like their lives depended on it. If their primary audience are children, they should avoid the cryptic, symbolic covers that they tend to favor these days. 

The way comics are today, they pretend to want kids to read, they take for granted their adult male audience, and they would do just about anything for "LGBTTTQQIAA" readers. 

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The industry  should identify their target audience and go after them like their lives depended on it.

I think that is what they're doing.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The industry isn't sure HOW to keep their target audience's attention.... so they keep throwing this "on the wall" to see what "sticks".

Going after them like "their lives depended on it"? I don't see any evidence of THAT.

Re: covers - I'll take a cover that gives us an exciting peek of the story inside over poster-style cover ANY day of the week.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Their Target Audience are not kids, or some mythical casual readers who just wander into a comic-book shop and browse the racks. It's the hardcore fans, the mostly middle-aged men who've been reading all of their lives. They don't need to try to hook them with some dynamic cover, because those fans have read all the previews online and know what's coming (the solicitations for November went online today), and have therefor made their decision about what they're going to buy before they've entered the store, and just go to those, if they don't have a pull-list. The crossovers, decompressed storylines, reboots and renumbering it's all aimed at maintaining those existing fans. Not cultivating new ones. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I get the feeling that Marvel and other companies think their must-have audience is the Web. Specifically, folks on their own personal Facebook and Instagram pages. Unconsciously, they are writing for the friends of their friends who don't read comics, and probably never will. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 21 August 2018 at 8:48pm

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version