Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: How To Improve Superhero Comic Sales Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Good idea, John!

My local Disney Store sells Marvel Comics teddy bears. So why not comics?
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe we can just accept that kids have different tastes? Kids comics are having a big boom right now. It's just not Marvel or DC.

A superhero comic is one of the biggest sellers right now and is a hugely popular property. It just happens to be a manga called MY HERO ACADEMIA.

The Marvel/DC itch is being scratched by video games, movies, and TV, and despite the ready availability of older content unencumbered by the flaws of today's storytelling, younger kids are more drawn to the modern stuff catering to them, not what their parents liked.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm 46. I bought two new comics today. Neither from DC or Marvel. Both are limited series. Executive Assistant: Iris #4 from Aspen Comics and Midnight Tiger: Stronger #3 from Action Lab Comics. And I bought them both digitally on Comixology at around 6am. My days of physically going to a comic-book store, browsing the racks, and picking up 15+ comics a week are long behind me. When it comes to the DC and Marvel characters I grew up with, my interest now is primarily in the films and TV shows. It's hard to get me excited for any new comic featuring those characters, no matter what they try to do, because I've seen it all at this point. So I've moved on. It's too bad (for the industry) that there isn't a new group of young readers to replace me.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have a bunch of 60s and 70s books I picked up at cons on the power of their cover alone.  I figured out much later that a boatload of them were the work of Neal Adams.  Go figure....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whatever the debate about who comics are targeted at, or talk about pull lists and previews and the like, the fact is that action-packed covers would be FUN!

Whether you have a pull list, and are going to buy anyway, wouldn't it be great to pick up comics with great covers?

Also, when I go through back issue boxes, I automatically know what I already own. Oh, I don't own that comic where Gorilla Grodd is holding up a defeated Flash and Green Lantern. I know that. But I do know I own that one where the Grey Gargoyle is battling the Hulk.

But what of something like ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN? The early issues? Completely interchangeable covers for the most part. Look at the first dozen or so covers:

Whilst there are some action covers, the majority are just Spider-Man poses. Which tell you nothing about the story inside.

Anthony Pfau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Seems like the stories are stale; lack of creativity with new characters-
I’m not a fan of “death of a character “ to spike sales , then find the character is still alive; nor am I a fan of making Thor a woman, Captain America a hydra agent etc. Fifteen gimmick covers for a first issue and the price of a new book too- same books you find for 50 cents to a buck at a comic show a month or two later. Some titles feature quality art but most are uninspiring.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There`s the old advertising saying "Sell the sizzle, not
the sausage"
Comics covers need to do this, then again, if it`s 22
pages of someone yakking, there is no sizzle!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Anthony, I don't mind those concepts, but I think they would have worked better as WHAT IF? stories (in fact, Jane Foster as Thor happened in one issue).

The very premise of WHAT IF? was exploring alternate realities. So Cap as Hydra would have worked for me if it had been explored in that title; but I had zero interest in it being explored over 12+ months, tying into various solo books.

Anthony Pfau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robbie,

Totally agree with you, actually one of my first newsstand purchases as a young kid was What If? 21- and I still have that somewhere 😀

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

WHAT IF? and DC Comics' "Imaginary Stories" were the perfect 'venue' for such scenarios. And I never felt we missed out.

If Cap as Hydra had been done in WHAT IF?, one or two issues would have sufficed. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There are a few things comic book publishers might try:

1) Digest-sized books in point-of-purchase displays. Target, Wal-Mart and others have great spaces developed for these things, to push candy, soda, wall chargers, cheap toys, Lego polybags and more. Why not add comic book digests?

2) Get rid of the extra content in collected editions and put that into the monthly books. Publish ONLY the story content in the TPB, without even an original cover. Sure, those "waiting for the trade" will bitch, but monthly regular buyers will get the extras--creator interviews, sketch pages, etc.--which will make regular buying more worthwhile.

3) Make the books truly all-ages again. Month to month, I have no idea if a given DC or Marvel book will be something I could give to my nine year old girl. There is NO REASON these books should cater to old readers, because that's a dwindling market and a downward spiral--we know this already but we aren't doing enough to fight the trend. So make every title something a kid might read and enjoy as much as an adult might.

4) Get the books into other venues. It's time to kill or at least hobble the direct market by getting books back into any location that will take them. If need be, make everything returnable and let retailers sell damaged copies at a discount. Bundle in electronic copies of comics with toys, trading cards, DVDs, everything you can possibly imagine. Even Lego sets.

5) Start publishing more books like the old DC Giants and 100-Page Specials, putting together stories of all different heroes. Someone can't hold down a book or a mini, let them be in the special! You don't even have to print them in prestige or bound format--print them with a paper cover, like the old days.

Those are a few ideas. Some might work, some might not, but it's time to try something more than extra advertising.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

But of course, these days the imaginary stories don't exist anymore; Marvel's "What If-" simply didn't appeal, I suppose. A few other considerations...

1) There's no way to deconstruct a "What If-" story into six issues for a TPB. So why not just make it an in-continuity event? Or so I believe the publishers think.

2) A one issue story - even in a "giant sized" book - has to present its premise, those changes from "reality", and the results of that change in a single shot. Who can write like that any more?

3) So many of the original (better?) "What If-" stories were based on a signal event or characteristic. Spider-Man joined the Fantastic Four. Someone else found Mjolnir. Cap hadn't been frozen during World War II. The Avengers hadn't stayed together. Gwen Stacy hadn't died.

But eventually, those classic elements got used up, and it was time to change other things... Daredevil joined S.H.I.E.L.D. The Punisher became Captain America. And worst, to me: the latest company wide crossover event had come out differently. 

4) They started out with having name creators on the books, and were easily as good as the mainstream books. E.g., Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did "What If... the Marvel Bullpen were the Fantastic Four?" Who CARED about the premise? It was STAN AND JACK!!!

But as the series ran on - especially the second one - it seemed to me to be a showcase book for new talent. "This guy is brand new, has some potential as a penciller." "Great! Let's have him do the next 'What If-' with the X-Men!" "But the next issue is supposed to have Spider-Man." "Then have him do THAT one! Do I have to think of everything? I have coffee to get for the editors!"

4½) "What If-" stopped being about specific incidents and became (mostly) concept books with something different, and (it seemed) mostly with the big titles and characters. "We can't do an Iron Man What If - we have to sell the book! Put in another X-Men story! See if Murray has an idea... ask him after he's done mopping the front lobby."

I feel that comic readers aren't interested in an imaginary story any more. And I think that part of that might be that too many of these stories have been written FOR REAL, and they're no longer entertaining. What If Iron Man's armor came alive? What if Captain America were a Hydra agent? What if Bucky lived? What if the White Queen joined the X-Men? What if everybody declared war on the Hulk?

Those might work for an issue, or even two... but I don't see them as being necessary to be added to the canon. And for the really esoteric ideas, a new reader would have no damned idea what it was about. I think they barely get it when they're NOT imaginary stories!

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version