Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Biggest Reason I No Longer Buy Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's not really true; there are longer runs out there. Of course, what HAS changed is that you don't seem to get the simplicity of a run going from #232-293, #227-286, etc., especially at Marvel. Now it's (to use Jason Aaron's Thor as an example):

#1-25, #1-8, #1-4, #1-23, #700-706, #1-10+ (plus a special, two five issue mini-series and a six issue mini-series). (Really weird to see a letter in a recent issue of Thor expressing sadness that we've reached "the last Jason Aaron Thor #1". Oy.) 

So we're probably looking at over a 100 Jason Aaron Thors when all is said and done. It's just not as obvious as it used to be.

Even if it's the same writer it still doesn't "feel" like the same run because the writer still has to put up with the constant company mandated reboots and status quo shifts. Aaron's Thor for instance had Thor becoming demoted, Jane Foster becoming Thor, etc.

Dan Slott feels the same way. He wrote Spider-Man for like 10 years but it felt like 5 different runs. 
Back to Top profile | search

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don’t think any of those things were mandated to Aaron though. He’s been building to War of the Realms for years and despite not loving the current issues of Thor, I am looking forward to the event including all the tie ins.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Although, Larry Hama has picked up right where he left on GI Joe. That feels exactly the same.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Although, Larry Hama has picked up right where he left on GI Joe. That feels exactly the same.

I agree. Which is why I continue to buy G.I. JOE:ARAH. IMO, that book is one of the most consistently fun comics being published and every single issue is accessible and new reader friendly.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

He’s been building to War of the Realms for years and despite not loving the current issues of Thor, I am looking forward to the event including all the tie ins.

-----

I recently read the Jane Foster Thor run and thought it was tremendous. I wasn't as interested in the Thor relaunch from last year, though. I'll still pick up the main War of the Realms book.    

I stopped reading ancillary tie-ins somewhere during 'Secret Wars II!'

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's my favorite read monthly because Hama keeps the familiar feel while using new characters. I don't always love the art though.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 22 February 2019 at 12:43pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Generally anything after a certain point in the '80s is "just a comic book story" to me (not saying this very seriously). :^D

It's a bit like all those '50s Batman and Superman comics with regular characters turning fat or into a giant ant or turtle, Batman O' The Glen in a kilt and living in a castle in Scotland, Jimmy Olsen marrying Supergirl, Kryptonian leprosy killing Superman... "just comic stories", imaginary, not real, not like that one run of X-Men (except the Arcade appearance and Colossus becoming The Proletariat, I am going to just call those two issues imaginary now because I want to). Always been flaws, always will be. Take out the wobbly sets and Doctor Who isn't any better written than it used to be. Just make of it what you will/can, the rest can be the "not real" bits.

Maybe with some planning and adjustment they could've gone on to a generation of the kids of super-heroes and some new characters? Maybe Peter Parker or Johnny Storm would be retired or secondary characters now? There can only be so many blocks of ice, so after that you have Marvel time where it is what is needed for right now, or like I say you'd be on to follow-up generations of characters.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2019 at 5:22pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jason Larouse wrote:
Even if it's the same writer it still doesn't "feel" like the same run because the writer still has to put up with the constant company mandated reboots and status quo shifts. Aaron's Thor for instance had Thor becoming demoted, Jane Foster becoming Thor, etc.

The renumbering/mini-series stuff was likely marketing directed:

#1-25 - initial run
#1-5 - Original Sin tie-in mini-series which could have easily been five issues of the Thor book
#1-8 - Jane now lead character
#1-4 - Secret Wars tie-in
#1-23 - post SW relaunch
#1-5 - "Unworthy Thor" after the real Thor got kicked out of his own book
#700-706 - Marvel Legacy renumbering
Valhalla special - no idea why this needed to be a one shot, but whatever
#1-10+ - Thor back as the lead
#1-6 - War of the Realms - done as a crossover instead of just being a story in Thor (similar to Slott's Clone Conspiracy)

But I don't think (most of) the stories were. War of the Realms has been looming since the initial run (and was specifically called out in the Unworthy Thor mini). Jane Thor was part of Aaron's musings about what it means to be "worthy." I was far less enthused than John Popa was about the Jane Thor stuff, but I'd still consider it to be Aaron's baby.

QUOTE:
Dan Slott feels the same way. He wrote Spider-Man for like 10 years but it felt like 5 different runs.

Yeah, but that can happen with the longer runs even without annoying marketing games. Peter David's Hulk was really a collection of 6-7 runs with some major status quo and/or tone changes throughout; Claremont had at least three or four runs on Uncanny X-Men without taking a break; Gerry Conway had two very different Justice League runs in his ~85 issues (including fill-ins); etc.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

(And just to be clear, when I say Claremont had "three or four runs" on Uncanny, I meant during #94-279. I'm not counting #381-389 and #444-474 in that.)

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I walked into a comic store last week and saw a wall full of characters I've known since childhood, but all their series' were numbered below issue #20.  And I know all those series' will be cancelled and renumbered a year from now, after getting maybe three stories stretched over six issues each...  So I figured, why bother?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That's what is great about Larry Hama on GI Joe. Despite it being an ongoing narrative with multiple characters, he makes every issue a great jumping on point. You know exactly where you are very quickly.

It is a lost art for many.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Jane Foster gaining the power of Thor -- and especially the way it was done -- was a great idea that was stretched out for too long.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version