Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: Impeachment (Again) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Tapes brought down Nixon. Will they actually bring Trump down, too?

Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not as long as his supporters choose to ignore their eyes, ears and grey matter.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

His supporters are absolutely nuts. I understand Rick Perry is also pushing the evangelical view that Dog chooses imperfect leaders like King Solomon and David.

This idea was exposed in the documentary "The Family" about the evangelical group that started the National Prayer Breakfast and seems extremely dangerous to me. Not only are they in full religious fanatic mode, but they are fanatical about a guy that just might actually believe their rhetoric. Can the Christian jihad be far off when this chosen one is voted out of office?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Donald Jesus Trump

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Paging Pilate, Mr. Pontius Pilate. You're needed at Golgotha immediately.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Separation of church and state being extremely important to your founding fathers not meaning much these days it would seem. :^(

It's funny how their biggest bogeyman scare tactic is Shari'a law being given legal standing in the U.S., but they would think nothing of giving their own 'faith-based' ideas superior legal authority and standing. Always harping on about the U.S. as a Christian nation but how many of the signers of the declaration were anywhere near devout never mind fanatical-radical-absolutist?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ms. Jansen, it's often been the case that religious leaders can say, "Do as I say," but not "I shall do as I say."

As for the U.S. being a Christian nation... I wonder what the truth is? Kind of a shame that next year's census won't show us. It might be very interesting indeed.

All I know is that the Protestants hate the Catholics. And the Catholics hate the Protestants hate the Catholics. And the Hindus hate the Muslims. And everybody hates the Jews.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Never a truer lyric written.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Here's something I can't wrap my head around. Christians base themselves on the faith that Jesus Christ is the Chosen One sent from God to save mankind. Yet they also believe that Donald Trump is the Chosen One sent from God to save mankind. So, are they still Christian if they believe someone other than Jesus is the Chosen One?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mark McKay wrote:
So, I’ve been trying to keep up with all of this, but may have missed something. Is there yet any truly tangible evidence linking Trump to a quid pro quo or bribery? Beyond the transcript the White House released, which is open to interpretation? So far it’s seemed like testimony from individuals, which doesn’t seem like actual evidence, just “he-said-he-said” statements. Anything tangible yet proving Trump himself asked for these things? 

I’ve been reading through Sondland’s emails and the closest it gets is Trump telling them to deal with Giuliani. But that doesn’t seem hard enough for an impeachment conviction for the President himself.

First off, the "transcript" is not a literal transcript.  Never has been.  We've already heard testimony from those who heard the conversation first hand that there were key portions not included in the glossed-over account given to the House as "proof" that it was a "perfect" conversation.

Second, do we honestly need a recording (video or audio) of the president literally saying "I want a quid pro quo" to get that that's exactly what he wanted?  Reporting has come out that the White House retroactively tried to make a case for withholding money from Ukraine in anticipation of this becoming an issue.  Who works that hard behind the scenes to manipulate communications and decisions just to justify the whims of a madman if it's not true?  Seriously.  

Third, if you honestly think that the testimony given the last two weeks is simply "he said, she said" then you haven't been following along.  These are career diplomats, most unimpeachably non-partisan, who raised serious concerns with how the White House was conducting itself with regard to Ukraine, specifically, and foreign policy, generally. To boil that down to simply "he said, she said" is, I'm sorry, bullshit. That's not "keeping all your options open" or "being fair" or "trying to understand both sides". It's either a willful decision to always treat both sides equally despite all evidence to the contrary or ignorance to accept the fact that Republicans are playing (have been playing) a very horrible, disingenuously dirty game for quite some time and, in the end, are happy for you to be "confused" as to what is really going on.  That is the best that they can hope for.  If they get that, it's a win.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm with Matt, even in a court of law, the standard of proof is beyond all "reasonable" doubt, NOT beyond all shadow of a doubt. 

Marc

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm a Christian. I might even be said to be aligned to a more Evangelical view of Christianity.

But I am saddened, appalled and deeply worried to see the hoops I see many church leaders jumping through to justify a racist, misogynist, every other -ist person maintain the Presidency. That they are pulling out the 'of the devil' card in an attempt to cease debate is just heartbreaking to watch.

They used similar arguments in the Brexit debate and it appalled me then as well.

America is heading for a very dark place unless people start to get a grip. The rhetoric build up pre-election can only lead to some very deep schism. Look at where the UK is now post Brexit. Now imagine that with freely available guns. Not good. Not good at all
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version