Posted: 16 October 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My favorite headline so far on the subject:

Kevin Feige becomes Chief Creative Officer at Marvel,
hopefully isn't secredtly working for Hydra

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That's a good point about Jim Starlin's experience, Dave.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I may be grossly misinformed about how Marvel Comics is doing, but I have inferred that all comics companies are doing okay at best, and I don't see this as a big help to the comics side of Marvel Comics.

I agree with Mr. Byrne; this may be the true death knell for Marvel Comics. Of course, at this late date, it may not matter. They're obviously hoping that the movies and TV shows will keep Marvel afloat. Who knows? Perhaps they will. But I remain pessimistic.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sales of Marvel comics (with the exception of the gimmick comics) are down and continue to fall. So I agree with both JB and Eric Sofer that this move is most likely the first step of Disney shutting down Marvel's publishing division.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don’t think Marvel Comics is any danger of going away, because they serve as R&D for movies, TV, video games, and merchandise. Characters like Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider and Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel wouldn’t be currently showing up on Disney animated series, Hot Topic t-shirts, and Target toy shelves if they hadn’t been tested out in the comics first.

I think Marvel Comics is more at-risk of being farmed out to a third-party. They are already doing that a little bit with IDW. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
 I think Marvel Comics is more at-risk of being farmed out to a third-party.

Hmmm. Disney has been licensing comics out to other publishers since the very beginning, as well as books, and now video games - and generally tries to keep the in-house focus on the film/tv stuff.

That having been said, Iger seems like a smart guy and would, I presume, recognize the value (monetary and otherwise) that freelancers have brought to the Marvel IP over the last 80 years.  I imagine he'd be hesitant to dissolve a powerful brand and also overturn a work-for-hire model that's been a proven property generator just at random.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree. I don’t think anything is changing at Marvel Comics any time soon. I just see licensing books to another publisher more likely than Marvel Comics going away. The value of the publishing arm is not in book sales; it’s IP. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't see this as a big help to the comics side of Marvel Comics

If putting in charge the man who made Marvel the multi-billion dollar media empire they currently are (much better than "keeping afloat", mind you) doesn't count as a "big help", I don't know what possibly could.

If they were planning on closing it down (not that any of the news pieces shared here even remotely implied that), they wouldn't have made the announcement in the first place and put Feige's name in the line for nothing.

I guess people see what they want to see. 

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 16 October 2019 at 3:38pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don’t think Marvel Comics is any danger of going away, because they serve as R&D for movies, TV, video games, and merchandise. Characters like Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider and Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel wouldn’t be currently showing up on Disney animated series, Hot Topic t-shirts, and Target toy shelves if they hadn’t been tested out in the comics first.

I think Marvel Comics is more at-risk of being farmed out to a third-party. They are already doing that a little bit with IDW.

You're assuming that Disney is keeping Marvel Publishing around as an R&D and test marketing wing of the company. The problem with this theory (which I've seen put forth by a number of fans) is that Disney doesn't need the comics to introduce new characters and characters. They could use the cartoons,video games,toys,live action TV shows,and the movies to introduce new characters and concepts. Remember, characters like Firestar,Harley Quinn,Phil Coulson (and several other Agents of SHIELD),Livewire,and X-23 were all introduced in other media outside of Marvel and DC comics. These other media would be a far better test market than the very small niche market of Marvel (and DC) comic book readers (most of whom are adults).

I do agree with you that Marvel/Disney will most likely license the Marvel characters out to other comic book publishers, but that will only happen after Marvel Publishing is shut down. Fun little fact, Disney was considering buying Marvel back in the 90's and then license the characters to Dark Horse.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If putting in charge the man who made Marvel the multi-billion dollar media empire they currently are (much better than "keeping afloat", mind you) doesn't count as a "big help", I don't know what possibly could.

Just because Feige had financial success with the movies, doesn't mean that he will have financial success with the comics.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just because Feige had financial success with the movies, doesn't mean that he will have financial success with the comics.

No it doesn't, but that was not what I was asking. If Feige, with his incredibly successful background with these same characters and company, isn't a "big help" then who could possibly be? Jesus Christ himself?

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 16 October 2019 at 10:21pm

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...but that will only happen after Marvel Publishing is shut down.

Ok, it's officially a recurring theme in the thread now.

Marvel has crazy money. Crazy. The people in charge know they got this crazy money by (skillfully) mining the IP generated in the comic books. Even if the comics division lost money, it would be barely noticeable in the big picture and would be considered a very reasonable loss taking into consideration the possibilities of what can be gained. A hit film (and Marvel has more than 20 of them) could fund a decade of comics losing money (not saying that they are).

Why would they close it?? Do you really think they are going to put their top executive in charge and announce it publicly just to close it down or license it to Dark Horse (!?). Crazy talk.

What's curious is how insistent on this some of the commentators are, almost like they wished Marvel Comics was shut down... I don't care for current Marvel stuff but that's a long way from wishing it closed operations. Having a hard time trying to understand this reasoning, honestly.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version