Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Shakeup Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's a bizarre sort of wishful thinking, isn't it? Considering Disney has made a couple billion dollars off concepts developed in relatively recent comics like Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy, shutting down publishing would be counter-intuitive to say the least. It's impossible to assess Marvel Comics's profitability now that it's a whisker of the Mouse, but it was a $100 million business before the takeover, and likely will continue to be as long as there's a direct sales market to leverage.

If anything, Feige's promotion is a signal of strength. Why would Disney lash their arguably single most valuable employee to the mast of a ship they were about to scuttle?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Marvel has crazy money. Crazy. The people in charge know they got this crazy money by (skillfully) mining the IP generated in the comic books. Even if the comics division lost money, it would be barely noticeable in the big picture and would be considered a very reasonable loss taking into consideration the possibilities of what can be gained. A hit film (and Marvel has more than 20 of them) could fund a decade of comics losing money (not saying that they are).

Why would they close it?? Do you really think they are going to put their top executive in charge and announce it publicly just to close it down or license it to Dark Horse (!?). Crazy talk.

What's curious is how insistent on this some of the commentators are, almost like they wished Marvel Comics was shut down... I don't care for current Marvel stuff but that's a long way from wishing it closed operations. Having a hard time trying to understand this reasoning, honestly.

It's not wishful thinking. It's a logical assumption based on Disney's passed business practices. Disney has boat loads of money, and yet they canceled their two magazines (which featured comics based off of their popular properties) years ago, and those 2 magazines were reportedly regularly selling a million copies each. Disney also closed down their in house animation studio several years ago in favor of outsourcing their animation to other countries because it would be cheaper.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If Disney and Warner really are keeping the comics going only for R&D, you'd think the other studios might want to invest in starting their own comic companies.  Hire the best people and set them loose, offer great creator incentives right from the get-go, keep the books at $3 (or under) for maximum distribution, etc.  One $1 billion movie would pay for decades of great comic production (assuming that great comics wouldn't cover their own costs).

I think of Harvey Comics and SPAWN.  Harvey shut down and the CASPER and RICHIE RICH movie franchises disappeared.  They're talking about doing a new SPAWN movie--which I think would be totally out of the question if McFarlane shut the comic down twenty years ago.

I think Feige is smart enough to prop up the comics arm, maybe clean out all the crazy stuff (endless "events," new #1's every time you turn around, rampant continuity confusion, etc.).  A strong comics arm could only be good for future billion dollar movies.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 October 2019 at 12:33am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If Disney and Warner really are keeping the comics going only for R&D, you'd think the other studios might want to invest in starting their own comic companies.

——-

Netflix acquired Millarworld, which was probably a good move considering the relative successes of KICK-ASS, WANTED, and KINGSMAN. Meanwhile, Paramount has a deal with a media group that acquired the Atlas/Seaboard library... which makes less sense. 

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have *no* idea what Disney's plan for print comics is,
but there's hardly any need to keep them around strictly
as "R&D". There's damn near 60 years worth of stories
to mine for that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have *no* idea what Disney's plan for print comics is,  but there's hardly any need to keep them around strictly  as "R&D". There's damn near 60 years worth of stories  to mine for that.

——-

And yet a lot of Marvel movies, cartoons, and merchandise utilize material from the last 5-10 years. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Of course, this asks two questions:

A) What is the status of Marvel Comics right now, and what will be the status now that Kevin Feige has been put at the top?

B) In a couple years... what will be the status of the MCU movies?

All comics - including Marvel - seem to be dropping in sales precipitously. Let's consider sales figures of ten, five, and two years ago. How are those comparisons? Good enough to keep a failing industry afloat?

ITEM: Even though I have no interest in Marvel Comics these days, I have NO desire to see them go away. But as I have found out in lo, these many Cleveland Browns games - what I want or don't want is pretty insignificant.

As for the movies - yup, each one is a money factory. But how close to the point of saturation is that market? Four MCU movies a year might be the one to break the dam and drain the profits. Yet, without the MCU comics... where will the characters be? Let's assume three MCU films a year... will that be enough to keep the Hulk or Hawkeye in people's minds? Disney animated films seem to have gone away - I can't remember the last new one.

I guess the question is, can the Marvel movies keep Marvel in business without comics? Because it sure looks to me that it's the direction that Marvel is going.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Of course, this asks two questions:

A) What is the status of Marvel Comics right now, and what will be the status now that Kevin Feige has been put at the top?

B) In a couple years... what will be the status of the MCU movies?

Nobody here is a futurologist but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the company that's making crazy amounts of money incrementally for the past 11 years will continue to do so and that putting the very same executive responsible for this in charge of the comics is probably a good idea.

The mental loops you have to make to imagine failing scenarios are quite commendable, though. Committed.

I guess the question is, can the Marvel movies keep Marvel in business without comics? Because it sure looks to me that it's the direction that Marvel is going.

It sure doesn't look like that's the direction they're going when the company decides to put its most valuable asset in charge of the comics. It looks like almost the complete opposite of that, actually. But we're repeating ourselves now.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 17 October 2019 at 11:13am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rodrigo, has Marvel been making crazy money due to its comics, its movies or its licensing? I don't know; I know the movies are titanic hits and the comics seem to be decreasing in interest.

RC: "The mental loops you have to make to imagine failing scenarios are quite commendable, though. Committed."

Are they REALLY that much a stretch of the imagination? I see it, I think others have seen it. I'm not making a prediction; I'm going from what data I'VE seen.

As for committed... well, many people think I'm committed. Or should be.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I certainly care in the sense of not wanting a medium to go away that I adored and followed intensely as a preteen into my late 20s but the reality is with a few exceptions I stopped following monthly titles in the early-mid 90s, which is *shudder* 25+ years ago now.  I really don't know if there's a fix that can bring comics back from their deathbed but I have a feeling the newest installation can't be any worse than previous recent administrations.  Here's hoping the latest regime change helps.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"And yet a lot of Marvel movies, cartoons, and
merchandise utilize material from the last 5-10 years."

So stuff that's already been published in the near 60
years since FF#1.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"And yet a lot of Marvel movies, cartoons, and 
merchandise utilize material from the last 5-10 years."

So stuff that's already been published in the near 60 
years since FF#1.

-----

Yes. Your point? If the older stuff were sufficient to provide material for other material and licensing, they wouldn't rely on the newer stuff. Yet they keep going there.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version