Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 54 Next >>
Topic: COVID-19 Virus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Our offices have almost mandated telecommuting, prohibited travel between offices, and have all committee and task force meeting using the online Zoom platform.
Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I already work from home 4 days a week, so I've added the fifth. We paid for a Spring Break trip to Denver along with Rockies tickets. MLB just moved back Opening Day at least two weeks, so that part at least is out, and I don't really want to travel at all now. 

We're waiting for all of our kids' Spring sports to be delayed or canceled, it's just a matter of time. We've been told that spectators are not allowed at my son's volleyball matches as of today. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My upcoming European river boat cruise with Viking was cancelled this morning by the cruise line, along with all other Viking cruises world wide until April 30. I see Carnival Cruises also announced a similar shutdown today.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jobs being cancelled left, right and centre in the events industry. Just had a four-day conference in London cancelled next week. Luckily I picked up four days doing projection on a film shoot but that's going to be the exception. April is looking very empty right now and after that... who knows? Will just have to batten down the hatches and try and ride it out while spending as little as possible.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

President Macron just announced tonight a shutdown of all schools (from kindergarden to University) as of monday ! 

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As a Spaniard living in Spain, I am lucky because I work from home everyday.

However, things are getting nasty here and we are becoming Italy 2.0.

Food is my main concern, but the government says agriculture won't stop so it shouldn't be a problem... in theory.

In Italy, all the shops are closed except the ones selling food and medicines, and that's fine with me because I don't really need any of those products nor I plan to travel or go to a restaurant.

The stock values here have lost 30% of their value in a couple of weeks, and investors keep wondering when will be the right time to buy again.

Several major Spanish politicians have tested positive, so at this point the situation is surreal and out of a movie. I will keep you informed.

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I work in a Senior Housing Community in Florida that has both a Skilled Nursing Facility and an Assisted Living as parts of our campus. With over 500+ at-risk seniors living here we are really geared up (and gearing up) to be able to respond appropriately. Restricting access. Screening everyone. We drill often for the risk of infectious diseases. It is not going to a fun couple of weeks/months. Running through my contingency scenarios, but hoping for a cresting of the infection rates and appropriate mitigation strategies.

Good luck to all.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nothing abnormal from my workplace, I oversee about 60 people and have only had 3 call off's this week.

What I am hearing is a lot of  grumbling from the employees, hoping this will not impact their hours. Most are family people who cannot afford unpaid time off.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, WA K-12 are closed for the next six weeks.  I'm on WFH until at least the 27th, but I suspect longer. Restaurants are closing down already Crazy times we're living in.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was walking today - I usually do a five mile walk daily - and saw a local restaurant empty, only the waitress was visible.  That is unheard of in Spring, and it was warm today.  

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Great Depression II - Coming to a town near you

Scott Sackett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The company I work for manufactures awards, one of our big accounts is NCAA. We also maunfacture a lot of other high end trophies so there is a lot of tension about how that plays out.

I know we had an order for 5000 lapel pins for the NCAA basketball playoffs that had been ordered, I'm not sure what's happened to that.

I run our tool and Die dept where we design and produce medals for various events. About a third of our work is done through a factory in China. They were shut down for a few extra weeks, causing some orders to shift to domestic production.

Some of our work will evaporate as events are canceled, but we're still pretty busy.

I live in Okahoma City, which was 'Ground Zero' for the NBA cancellation. Honestly, I felt kinda insulated until last night.

Today, I found out on of the Utah Jazz players who tested positive was in Okc for a few days prior to the game and worked out at the Del City High School. Del City is the suburb where my job is actually located.

I'm not concerned for my safety, but the livelyhood of my employees.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 54 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version