Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Defunding the Police Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2020 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seattle now has a six block cop-free area controlled by a self-styled warlord with armed minions. So far the city government response is docile, for fear of a bloody confrontation. Maybe not what people had in mind with "defund", but what did they expect?

——-

I go back and forth over whether you’ve been replaced a bot or not. All your politics posts are of the concern troll variety. “Yeah, Trump/Republicans/The Right are bad, but the Democrats/Left are doing [this]! And usually [this!] is a bunch of lies from right-wing sources. 

Anyway, the Seattle Police chief has walked back any stories about armed minions threatening businesses. 

QUOTE:
The Seattle Police Department walked back its claim, widely repeated in the news media, that denizens of the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone are extorting businesses.  

"That has not happened affirmatively," Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best in a news conference Thursday afternoon, adding that the police department had based earlier claims on anecdotal reports, including in the news and on social media. "We haven't had any formal reports of this occurring."  

That contradicts earlier statements from the police.

But there is free hand sanitizer in the “Autonomous Zone”, so you know... Communism. 
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2020 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Joe, if this is the case, then that would be a job for the National Guard or the Military, not the Police. That’s the point of defund. People trained to do specific jobs, not Police doing everything. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2020 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Actually, I'm a Noam Chomsky kind of guy since school. But the Left has turned into zealots and morons, so "trolling" them is the reasonable thing to do. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 11 June 2020 at 10:12pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I read the web pages of the BBC, CNN & Fox.

I am amazed that only one of those, on their main news page, is talking
about Seattle. I would have thought what was happening their would
have been on the front page of all three, but apparently not.

EDIT - the BBC have added a story about it on theirs

Edited by James Woodcock on 12 June 2020 at 12:25am

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Apparently the mayor of Seattle has given protesters carte blanche to block off a small section of the city and establish their own little police-free community. 

This Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone apparently even has it's own "warlord"

I must confess I have a morbid curiosity to see how this plays out. It's starting to sound like something out of a Mad Max movie. Perhaps the mayor should let them have the Space Needle as well. It would make a nice Thunderdome.  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brandon, I moved your post to this thread, where the topic is already being
discussed.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I do NOT like what's happening in Seattle.  That mayor is an idiot for allowing that to happen and for not calling in troops.  And I'm all for police reform, too!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Watching that mayor tie herself into knots to not admit that she's ceding territory to lawlessness is extremely painful.

My daughter is supposed to start school at Seattle Pacific in late August. I'm trying to decide whether to advise her to find somewhere else, even though we're really late in the game.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've get five tv stations from Seattle and still trying to figure out exactly what is happening with this Capitol Hill police-free zone. Just seems like a bit of a lame stunt, and I know the area. A few signs tacked up. Way too much sound and fury over this than it deserves, but that's kind of the style of the times it would seem. :^(

Hysterics about crazy terrorists having taken over is silly, calling mayor Durkan a big flake though wouldn't be out of line. Did she forget to play dress up with a dashiki too or something? Heh, it's no longer a pandemic, now it's a pander-demic. :^/
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2020 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One issue I’ve not seen mentioned (though I’ve not read every post) is the pernicious influence of the Fraternal Order of Police.  The contracts they have extracted out of municipalities are unconscionable.  Forget the golden pension plans.  The contracts make it nearly impossible to fire even the most incompetent cop.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2020 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Based on its history, it seems Seattle is a confusing mixture of forward thinking and the last gasp of the "Old West". It's disappointing to see something like CHAZ happening in what is ostensibly a "modern" city, but on the other hand it's not really all that surprising.

Sad.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2020 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Police free zones are NOT what is required, and in my mind, rather stupid. Responsible police is the issue; not the presence of no police. That doesn't address the issue of dirty cops vs good cops.

I suppose if every house were surround by a wall, fortress like, and so were stores and restaurants and shops, and cars were damage proof behemoths, then a no-police scenario might be worth discussing. Yeah, and good luck with THAT!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version