Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Wolverine’s Costume Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2020 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One thing I liked about JB's Wolverine costume was it invoked the style of the X-Men original uniforms. Probably not intentional, but color it black and gold, Wolverine could almost fit in. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2020 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hmm...that's fascinating. I'd never seen it confirmed before that that was an official rule in the biz. But I had indeed noticed that a lot of my favourite heroes had blue and red in their outfits. And also that an extraordinary amount of villains were green. (I guess it really isn't easy being green! ;) ) It's most especially noticable throughout Spider-man's roster of villains.

I think one of the reasons Wolverine's brown costume works, (apart from it looking damn great on him) is because on some level we perhaps associate brown with nature and/or animals. Thus it feels more natural on a character called 'Wolverine!' 

Edited by Jason Scott on 12 July 2020 at 5:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2020 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Needless to say, that didn't follow so much at National/DC! I'm sure that Aquaman and Green Lantern and J'onn J'onzz might've taken exception.

•••

The secondary color—green in two out of three of your examples—was paired with either primary colors (red and blue in the case of J’onn), or black (always a strong choice) in the case of Green Lantern.

Aquaman wore green and orange, and orange being so bright, is almost an “honorary” primary.

In any case, rules get broken. Iron Fist wore dark green. The Hulk wore purple (and green). The Spectre wore green. Hawkman wore green. The rule was merely a starting point. An easy shorthand for colorists and separators.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, don't get me wrong, Mr. Byrne. I'm not saying it was a hard and fast rule. The Thing was dull orange, after all. It just seemed to be the case only at Marvel, and only early on.

Also the "anti-heroes" (sigh) somewhat followed that as well - a green Hulk, Namor's trunks were green, Hawkeye wore purple - so it was more of a guideline.

And you're dead on right with the Spectre and the Hawks. Sandman was mostly green also. And Green Lantern was... was... okay, he must have been a good guy, because what bad guy would wear thirty-seven and a half different colors? (The Wasp? Well, yeah... but not all at once!)

I only meant the beginning of the Marvel era, and I think of Iron Fist (and Captain Marvel, the Falcon, and probably a few others) in the "second generation", when Marvel was on somewhat more sound footing.

Um... and I meant green in all three of my JLA examples. :)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At some point, artists began leaving open space in his mask (MacFarlane and Silvestri may have been the first) - in which the colorist used the glove color to fill it in. In the case of the Brown costume, that wasn't so bad:

But once Jim Lee put him back in the Yellow and Blue, that open space became Blue, and IMO looked ridiculous:

IMO, the mask should just be pure Black.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny! LOTS OF LINES means GOOD ART. Fill in the mask with solid black, and it’s not GOOD ART. Why, it might even be LAZY!

(When the Image boy’s started force feeding this style to the fans—and the fans* ate it up!!—I dubbed it “tonnage”. Lots and lots and lots of meaningless lines!)

——————

* To be historically accurate, we still don’t know how many warm bodies were buying those books. The speculeeches had warped the marketplace beyond recognition.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

No real evidence for this, but I think part of it was also that if they drew contours of the face that looked right/good, they couldn't bear to cover it in black.

I appreciate with JB's art that he (a) sticks with the established rules of a costume (b) uses it in service of the character (d) understands the power of solid black and (e) is able to use negative space for effect.

Regarding the different costumes, they basically all seem like aberrations to me bar JB's brown/mustard one and the original two. Of those three, JB's one is far and away the most suitable, most 'right' one, in my opinion.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the linked Alex Ross painting, he paints Wolverine's mask in a way that it's clear the black parts are black, even with highlights, but Cyclops is shown wearing a clearly blue outfit:

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wow, Ross is incredible.
Tho I wouldn't even put a hint of a highlight on Nightcrawler's forehead.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Looks like cosplay.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like and dislike Ross' painting at the same time. I dislike Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. But Cyclops looks like yours, I do like what he did with the Phoenix effect on her hand, and for once he sidestepped his annoying habit of refusing to paint masks without pupils by obscuring Wolverine's mask. The mask does look like yours as well.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

At some point, artists began leaving open space in his mask
(MacFarlane and Silvestri may have been the first

Seems like Art Adams may have done it before either of those two.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version