Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.16--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I apologize if this has been asked before but I've been wondering for a while:

Before Jim Shooter felt there should be consequences for the destruction of the D'bari, had you and Chris given any thought as to how Jean would feel about what she had done and how she would deal with that?  I mean, would she have had problems dealing with her actions as Dark Phoenix going forward, or was the plan to have her just have the mind of a child/ not remember?

I know what has just happened in Elsewhen.  I'm asking about back in the day, what your thoughts were...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You’ll be seeing some of that in ELSEWHEN, so I don’t want to risk spoilers.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't know if it is the page a day release or not, but the last panel on Elsewhen pages is usually eye popping lately; Kitty with a gun, Kitty taking Scott through the ground and today's Dark Phoenix cruising the cosmos are some of my favorite images from this issue so far.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ITEM: Thanks.

ITEM: Hey, if I'm, ever in town, can I buy you lunch? Disney can't object too much to that.

ITEM: The detail on this page is wonderful. The stoned figures really have the right texture and appearance. Even the hands look better than the average artist's.

ITEM: Cyclops is not only being team leader, he's being a teacher on this page. I could not enjoy this character more. I don't know everything that happened to Cyclops after I gave up on X-Men and X-Factor, but this character is going down a desirable path. If ELSEWHEN continues long enough, I look forward to Professor Summers teach new, young mutants, and occasionally going out to lead a mission or two.

ITEM: I adore the expressions on the D'Bari face. Even thought it's completely alien, I can see how he feels and what he feels. It's genius.

Your thoughts and imagination look so good on page that I would be willing to compensate you for it. Even if it's just a bowl of matzah ball soup and a corned beef on rye with mustard and a side of cole slaw.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 22 October 2020 at 10:26am

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wellllllllllll… Remember, we intended Phoenix to become a recurring villain.

Was that always the case though since you started on the X-Men title?

•••

Of course not.

I always liked the Phoenix costume too btw.  It seemed to be a good "modernization" of Jean's Marvel Girl identity...

...although I'd also be intrigued to see what could have been if the character went down the road of being "Ms. Marvel" (although I'm not so sure if the costume shown in the article below would ever have gone beyond the drawing room....:)

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-phoenix-jean-grey-len-wein-dave-co ckrum/

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Phoenix is less Marvel Girl if we remember Dave intended that design to be WHITE and gold.

He was surprised when it came out green.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You’ll be seeing some of that in ELSEWHEN, so I don’t want to risk spoilers.
>>

I'm very pleased to hear that.  By now, you know that I like to see the characterizations just as much as the action sequences.   Of course, now you've got me theorizing again (LOL), but I will try to keep such suppositions to myself...

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, and some of those white variants of the Phoenix costume aren't bad either even if they take the character farther away from her Marvel Girl roots.  The cape is a bit much....:)  

Given that Dave Cockrum intended the costume to be originally white, and thinking about the comments made on the character model sheet about Phoenix/Jean Grey being a schizoid personality, I wonder how much of the "Dark Phoenix" idea was already in mind (even as a high level concept) before you came onboard.  It wasn't clear in the pages of the book if I recall from the original stories, but I could be mistaken. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Dark Phoenix happened because I complained that Chris was giving her so much attention the X-Men were in danger of becoming fifth wheels in their own book. One day, Steven Grant said “Make her a villain, then Chris can do whatever he likes with her.”

I wasn’t crazy about the idea, but it did solve the problem.

Unfortunately, we did not consider Shooter’s Whim of Iron.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Today's page is officially THE Elsewhen page I would like to own...and Christmas is coming. The stoned characters are great, Vuk's skin texture is unbelievable, Cyke is great, Dark Phoenix too...wow.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm guessing Phoenix was colored green and gold to go with Marvel Girl's previous green color scheme-- but yes, white and gold would have been a much better choice.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 22 October 2020 at 4:16pm

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I certainly prefer what we have here to what was in X-Men #144-154 or whatever this would have covered. Those were some funky issues...and I don't mean that in a good way.

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version