Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: The Stratford Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mark: I have provided evidence that "Shaxper" is the correct pronunciation of the Stratford man's name and was a spelling used.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------
Steven: You've shown it was a variant used, and I've never disputed this. What grew tiresome was the use of "Shaxper" to refer to Will of Stratford - a spelling that, as far as I'm aware, he never used himself - with the insinuation that this name got confused with "William Shakespeare", the supposed pseudonym of the real author of the plays. 
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

Mark: What anyone infers from that is open to debate. What is not kind is to accuse me personally of being "disingenuous" for bringing it up.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
Steven: Passive aggression. What did you mean by the use of "Shaxper" when referring to Will of Stratford, and "Shakespeare" when referring to the author?
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------- ---
Mark: Your style of debate is to refuse to acknowledge the validity of my points.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
Steven: That's a mighty black pot.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------- -
JB: And this discussion moves closer and closer to pointless as you steadfastly refuse to accept that the Stratford Man was not known as "Shakespeare". 
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------- ---
The royal patent that created The King's Men in 1603 refers to "William Shakespeare", spelled exactly that way. 

The line-up of The King's Men included Burbage, Heminges and Condell.

Burbage, Heminges and Condell were named in the will of William Shakspeare (as it was spelt) of Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Heminges and Condell remember William Shakespeare (which is how it was spelt again) in the First Folio.

It's the same man. Or you have to jump through some mighty big hoops to think otherwise.

Edited by Steven Brake on 28 January 2021 at 2:18pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steven: Passive aggression. What did you mean by the use of "Shaxper" when referring to Will of Stratford, and "Shakespeare" when referring to the author?

Me from 2 pages ago: "Disingenuous? The fact is he used "Shaxper", so it is proper and helpful to refer to the Stratford man by that spelling so that he is afforded less unconscious bias in the discussion-- reducing the "Of course Shakespeare-wrote-Shakespeare" fake-logic."

I may not validate enough of your points for your taste, but at least I was willing to grant that your motives were as you present them.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When did Will of Stratford use "Shaxper"? It doesn't seem to be used in any of the signatures identified as being his. 

I'm happy to be corrected on this point, but it isn't "helpful" to refer to Will of Stratford as "Shaxper" and the author as "Shakespeare". It's done to suggest that they are two different people, and that the former was mistaken for the latter.

See above regarding the name and the spelling of it of the man second in the list on the royal patent. And his association with Burbage, Heminges and Condell. Do you seriously contend that these three men aren't the same ones later named in Will's will?

Edited by Steven Brake on 28 January 2021 at 2:50pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Your objection is he didn't leave a signature that uses "Shaxper."

But he didn't leave us anything signed as "Shakespeare" either.

But we should use "Shakespeare" anyway.
Why this spelling?
Because it refers to the Stratford man.
But don't all of these spellings refer to the Stratford man?
Yes, but we should only use "Shakespeare".
Okay. Why again?
Because it's "disingenuous" not to.

Please.

In a discussion of the authorship question, it is obviously helpful to use different spellings to differentiate between Shakespeare the candidate and Shakespeare the author.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Spelling was fluid in Elizabethan/Jacobean times. Nobody denies this.

But it seems to be your insistence that Will of Stratford was "Shaxper" and this was muddled with William Shakespeare, the pseudonym of the true author of the plays.

As I've pointed out, and as you've agreed, there don't appear to be any records of Will of Stratford using "Shaxper" when referring to himself, so I don't see why you feel the need to, or the point you think you're making when you do?

The royal patent creating the King's Men refers to a William Shakespeare, spelled that way. It also refers to Heminges and Condell.

William Shakspeare (as it was spelt) named Heminges and Condell in his will.

Heminges and Condell then introduce the First Folio, which again refers to William Shakespeare.

The spelling is very, very slightly different. A missing "e". But it's obviously the same man. Unless you're arguing that the Heminges and Condell in the will aren't the same ones in the royal patent, and it's another instance of people with similar names being confused as being the same person? Or are you arguing that the names of Heminges and Condell (and Burbage too) were interjected into Shakspeare's will to maintain the illusion that Will of Stratford and William Shakespeare in the royal patent were the same?

Edited by Steven Brake on 28 January 2021 at 3:42pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You cannot be serious.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

From several pages ago:

The following are the various spellings from records in and around Stratford previous to the formation of the Lord Chamberlain’s Men in 1594: Sakspere - 1x, Shakspere - 14x, Shakespere - 3, Shakespeer - 1, Shakspeare - 3, Shakesper- 1, Shakyspere- 1, Shakspeyr- 3, Shakspayr- 1, Shackspyer- 1, Shaxpyere- 1, Shakysper- 1), Shaxpere - 3, Shaxpeare- 1, Shacksper- 1, Shackspeare- 1, Shackespere- 1, Sackspere- 1, Shakspear- 1, Shagspere- 1.

The following are from Stratford after 1594: Shaxper- 1x, Shaxpere- 1x, Shakspere- 1, Shakespere- 1, Shackespere- 1.
(from Sam Schoenbaum’s book, "A Documentary Life")

Take your pick. All are ways Will of Stratford referred to himself in records. Shaxper is right there along with all the others which would be pronounced exactly the same way.

Beyond done.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2021 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This used to interest me to the point I was ready to research stuff about
it myself. You guys have killed it.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mark: You laid great emphasis on the different spellings of "Shaxper" and "Shakespeare", with the insinuation that they were two different people and that the former was, or became, mistaken for the latter.

What you've repeatedly demonstrated is that there was no consistent spelling of his name (or indeed anyone's name, in this period) - in your own words, Shaxper is right there along with all the others.

You used "Shaxper" with the implication that this was the authentic spelling of Will of Stratford's surname.

What you've proven is that this variant was rarely used - indeed, you've only cited one instance of it being used (well, two, technically, with "Shaxpere"). And you haven't provided evidence if it was used by him, rather than about him - although, as above, it's pretty much a moot point, given the elasticity of spelling in the period. 

Oh, and you've - unsurprisingly - totally sidestepped the points about Heminges and Condell.

Done? Fine. I don't think I've ever known anyone who, while attempting to make an argument, has been so determined to shoot themselves in the foot.

Edited by Steven Brake on 29 January 2021 at 2:26am

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

@Brian: Sorry Brian! :)

If you still retain any vestigial interest, let me know and I'll see if I can suggest any books or websites for you.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Rebooting the thread back to the earliest posts, where Mark brought up Diana Price and JB declared:
 QUOTE:
Every Stratfordian should read Price’s book.

After reading her book about ten years ago, I had several conversations with Ms. Price. I'm not an anti-Stratfordian, but even as somebody who studied under David Kastan, one of the leading Shakespearean scholars in the world and a General Editor of the Arden series, I can still plainly state that she knows her stuff. We discussed not just a few broader issues but even some fascinating minutiae. One could doubt her doubting but, in my opinion, not her erudition -- and that's ironic in as much as she entirely self-learned, which arguably might be the case for Stratford Will.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I found Price's book very illuminating. And I especially liked that it wasn't written to fit some pet theory.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version