Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: The Stratford Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Petter: Price's book is explicitly written to raise doubts that Will of Stratford wrote the plays ascribed to him.
Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, in the sense that it's the result of research she has done on the subject - that's how books happen. But what I mean is that she presents no pet theory about alternate writers (though she may have them privately, for all I know). I would have thought that meaning was clear. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Probably not worth much but as I think I noted earlier I found more evidence for Willy S's existence than for Chris Marlowe's. It could just be that records from the area Marlowe was were more unlucky in floods and fires and so forth over the centuries. We're talking about a country that used to have all sorts of thorn bushes planted by Jesus or his father on their trip to England way back from the crown of thorns ('and did those feet in ancient times' blah blah blah).

Still I call him the beard of Avon. I think he was a 'front' for somebody, or even more than one somebody, who at first 'swiped' from Marlowe, but beyond that I'm not sure we could really know whom anymore. And that's good enough for me. Perhaps one day there will be arguments on if Moebius was real or a front for Jean Giroux? It may be this was something perfectly obvious to some at the time, that there was a Disney-esque company name from one of the main business guys, and then a decade or so later, not known.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 January 2021 at 11:57am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

@Rebecca "The beard of Avon" did make me laugh! :)

However:

In 1603, the royal patent confirms the creation of The King's Men. William Shakespeare, with the name spelt exactly that way, is second on the list which includes Richard Burbage (spelled that way), John Hemmings (or that how it looks it's spelt on the patent) and Henry Condill (again, that's how it looks it's spelt).

The King's Men perform plays ascribed to Shakespeare in the First Folio.

In the will of Will Shakspeare (for that's how his name is spelt in it) of Stratford-Upon-Avon, he leaves small bequests to Burbage, Heminges and Condell. I have to admit I'm having massive problems reading the spelling on the images of the will that I've seen, so the spelling may not be exact. 

The First Folio, collecting the plays performed by The King's Men - and many never published before - is published commemorating the memory of William Shakespeare (which is how it's spelt). In their introduction, Heminges and Condell say that they created the Folio "onely to keepe the memory of so worthy a Friend, & Fellow alive, as was our S H A K E S P E A R E" (which, again, is how it's spelt).

This means:

1) Will of Stratford is the Will named in the royal patent. After he died, Heminges and Condell collected as many of his plays as he could to commemorate his memory. 

2) Will of Stratford is the Will named in the royal patent. However, he wasn't the playwright he claimed to be. Not realising this, Heminges and Condell collected as many of his plays as he could to mistakenly commemorate his memory.

3) Will of Stratford is the Will named in the royal patent. However, he wasn't the playwright he claimed to be. Fully aware of this, Heminges and Condell collected as many of his plays as he could to maintain the fiction that he had written them.

4) The will was faked at some point to give the illusion that Will of Stratford had known Burbage, Heminges and Condell.

5) Will of Stratford and the Will in the royal patent aren't the same person at all, and the Burbage, Heminges and Condell in Stratford's will and the Burbage, Heminges and Condell in the royal patent are likewise not the same people, and it's just a massive case of mistaken identity.

Taking these points in sequence:

1) Will of Stratford was the author.

2) Heminges and Condell knew Will of Stratford for years, even before The King's Men were formed. Could he really have fooled them so thoroughly throughout the years that he'd known them that they'd spend years after his death trying to preserve his legacy for posterity?

3) As per point 4, not impossible - but why? Why did Heminges and Condell spend years trying to maintain a lie? Who compelled or paid them to do this? What benefit did they gain by doing so?

4) Possible, but it begs the question of who did this. And why go to such lengths to maintain the fiction?

5) Can't be true. Or the odds must run to millions, perhaps billions, to one.

Shakespeare must have been literate, in order to have successfully faked literary genius to people who knew him for years. OR there was deliberate contrivance on the part of those who'd known him for years to make it seem like he was the author. Either way, the argument that someone else used the pseudonym William Shakespeare and by horrible coincidence it got mixed up with an illiterate rustic with a similar sounding name simply cannot be true.

So - William Shakespeare of Stratford-Upon-Avon was the author, or at least co-author, of the plays ascribed to him.

Occam's Razor shaves the beard!  :)

Edited by Steven Brake on 30 January 2021 at 12:38pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"With additional dialogue by Edmund Blackadder."

I suppose if there is any validity to a Marlowe in exile possibility, his faked death would be exposed to take credit then, but it's a huge 'if' of course. In a weird way it's so fanciful on the surface it has a quality of 'stranger than fiction' veracity for me. I hold the door open a crack. I'm sorry! :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rebecca: Don't be! I have to admit to having been intrigued by the Marlovian theory of authorship, given his generally acknowledged authorship, or co-authorship of the Henry VI Plays, and possible Richard III too. And there is the odd allusion to Marlowe's death, or the coroner's inquest into it, in As You Like It - and which Calvin Hoffman makes much of in The Murder Of The Man Who Was Shakespeare.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Steven Brake has declared it to be so! Thus, let it be so!

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian: ?

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steven Brake

PhD in Shakespeare's English History

Thesis - Legendary Fathers, transient victories, and ambivalent histories: continuity and development in Shakespeare's exploration of authority and resistance from Henry VI Part One to Hamlet

Same Steven Brake? Just curious. 

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, that's me.

How did you find that out?

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2021 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I stumbled upon this essay, which I think it's an interesting read. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Cory has detecting skills that would make Sherlock Holmes envious.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version