Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Batman Box Office (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 1  

Matt Hawes wrote:
What would hurt "Batman Begins" more in terms of boxoffice success

I can't guess what may or may not hurt the film's BO success with the public, but my own lack of interest stems from 3 things:

1)  It's Batman.  Again.  I was able to get excited about SITH because, even with the disappointment of the last 2 SW films, we've only had 6 films in nearly 3 decades.  Batman is all over the place -- movies, TV, DVD, cartoons.

2)  The costume looks too stiff and armor-like, a huge point for me.  Once Batman is established as needing armor, he ceases being Batman as far as I'm concerned.  I'll wait for the real Iron Man movie.

3)  The film looks so dour and self-serious.  I certainly don't want the campy mockery of the last few Batman films, but I do want a superhero movie that has a sense of fun.  Two hours of Batman as a brooding sourpuss I can live without.

Reviews and word-of-mouth are strong enough that I may eventually see this in the theater, but not anytime soon.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 2  

My kids are taking me to see Batman Begins in about two hours, as a Father's Day present.  I had to hold off seeing it just for that reason...  Surely I'm not the only one?  I wonder if it will get a boost for the holiday?

-Keith
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 3  

The weekend results are in:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Dark Knight lit up the box office in North America as "Batman Begins" sold an estimated $46.9 million worth of tickets in its first weekend, reigniting a lucrative superhero franchise that burned out eight years ago.

The $150 million film was released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a unit of Time Warner Inc., which is also resurrecting fellow DC Comics superhero Superman, and preparing for the November release of a fourth "Harry Potter" film.

Since opening on Wednesday, "Batman Begins" has earned $71.1 million, which the studio said was within expectations.

The five-day haul was the best start among the five films in the "Batman" franchise. The record of $66 million was held by the third film, 1995's "Batman Forever," which starred Val Kilmer. The franchise folded in 1997 with the next film, "Batman and Robin," starring George Clooney in a batsuit with nipples. It bowed to $52 million for the first five days.

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 19 June 2005 at 11:07am

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 4  

I predict that this movie will have legs and be the male version of "Titanic". What I mean by that is "Titanic" was mainly fueled by a female audience who kept going over and over again and broke all expectations of how a three hour movie could perform. Numbers kept going up when they should go down have gone down - every once in awhile a movie's word of mouth fuels a film to break the much vaunted Hollywood bean counters, and even if I don't love a movie liek Titanic, I do love seeing the studio bean counter's performace calculations go up in smoke. I think this film transcends the superhero genre and will be so much more for people, mainly guys.

I know, I know. I just saw it last night and you think I am still caught up in the glow of seeing the film, and that's probably true. I said this last night at Mr. Cecils and was unamimously told that it wouldn't happen. Doug Jones wouldn't even honor my prediction that this will outgross "Star Wars" with words - he just shook his head in way we only reserve for the ridiculous. Later at that bar (I think the bar was called "Conversation Kryptonite" or soemthing like that), Doug had an exceelent point that if anyone has a hankering for Batman, they can rent the 90's films and get their fix, but I still think we have the definitive version people will pay to go see.

Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 5  

71 mil in five days is a very healthy start, and I can't imagine it will be unseated by HERBIE or BEWITCHED next week, which means it will hopefully be able to run the chart until WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

We were also talking about this last night.  I have a really good feeling about the legs on this film.  I think quite a few people actually stayed away this weekend because of memories of the last two Batman films. I think that strong word-of-mouth after this weekend will result in a strong second weekend for the film.  I'm gonna bet that we won't see as steep a drop off in attendance as we normally do with second weekends.  Also, when words gets out that this film is incredible on IMAX (with ticket prices more expensive than regular screens) people will pay the price for a better experience.  The theatre was packed last night.  I think the film has excellent repeat viewing potential as well.  I know I can't wait to see it again! Seriously, I think it's going to do much better than $200 mil.  My guess is $250 - 275 mil.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Thom Price wrote:

3)  The film looks so dour and self-serious.  I certainly don't want the campy mockery of the last few Batman films, but I do want a superhero movie that has a sense of fun.  Two hours of Batman as a brooding sourpuss I can live without.

Since the above is based on an inaccurate read of the trailers, you really have to see the movie to make that allegation.  BATMAN BEGINS is far from dour and self-serious.  There is a ton of fun from every character in the film, as well as situations set up specifically not to take itself as seriously as the current crop of Bat-books does.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Here are the weekend estimates for comparison's sake:

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Cost* Week #
1 N Batman Begins WB $46,935,000 - 3,858 - $12,165 $71,087,000 $150 / - 1
2 1 Mr. and Mrs. Smith Fox $27,300,000 -45.8% 3,451 +27 $7,910 $97,961,000 $110 / - 2
3 2 Madagascar DW $11,100,000 -35.4% 3,533 -396 $3,141 $147,195,000 - / - 4
4 3 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $9,700,000 -34.7% 2,923 -399 $3,318 $347,802,000 $113 / - 5
5 4 The Longest Yard Par. $8,000,000 -42.4% 3,312 -342 $2,415 $131,905,000 $82 / - 4
6 5 The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (3D) Dim. $6,633,000 -47.3% 2,655 - $2,498 $23,955,000 - / - 2
7 N The Perfect Man Uni. $5,478,000 - 2,087 - $2,624 $5,478,000 $10 / - 1
8 6 Cinderella Man Uni. $5,233,000 -46.2% 2,610 -210 $2,004 $43,554,000 $88 / - 3
9 7 The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants WB $3,170,000 -44.5% 2,206 -377 $1,436 $30,203,000 $25 / - 3
10 8 The Honeymooners Par. $2,570,000 -53.6% 1,912 - $1,344 $9,473,000 $25 / - 2

Source: Box Office Mojo

Strong opening for BATMAN BEGINS.  MR. AND MRS SMITH is still holding strong in it's second weekend. I saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it.  It's not life changing in any way, but it's perfect summer movie popcorn fare with a chemistry between Pitt and Jolie that is unmistakable.  MADAGASCAR holds strong at third, a good sign that HERBIE will probably do well next weekend.  Families are looking for fare for their kids and with THE ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL under performing, an all-ages branded Disney film will excite them.  SITH is cranking along, but I still maintain it won't crack $400 mil domestically.  THE LONGEST YARD is a bonafide hit, while CINDERELLA MAN continues it's quick slide off the top ten chart.  I'm not a big fan of wishing failure on anything, but I'm glad audiences have basically stayed away from THE HONEYMOONERS.  Hope that sends a message, as money does the lion's share of the talking in this town.

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

I wonder what message studios should get from the failure of The Honeymooners - don't cast darkies in a remake of "Father Knows Best," every brand name isn't really a brand name, or how about make more original material that actually makes use of all that imagination and creativity that must exist in Hollywood?

I saw Batman Begins and adored it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it not cross $200 million.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Matt Hawes wrote:
Orlando, while Bruce's training does take up a sizable portion of the film, it is not as tedious and boring as the non-Hulk scenes in "The Hulk," and are fun to watch. Also, I was afraid there wouldn't be that much Batman action, but I was wrong. There's plenty!

Thanks Matt. Yeah Everything I've heard (and read) points out that its a movie I'll enjoy. I was going with my impression of the trailers and promos.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

Leroy Douresseaux wrote:

I wonder what message studios should get from the failure of The Honeymooners - don't cast darkies in a remake of "Father Knows Best," every brand name isn't really a brand name, or how about make more original material that actually makes use of all that imagination and creativity that must exist in Hollywood?

I saw Batman Begins and adored it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it not cross $200 million.

"Darkies"?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

The keyboard made me do it...
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version